Tesho Akindele

3 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

It's been made pretty clear Castillo wanted out. It's a sale in all but name, MLS wanted some way to keep their asset if instability in Turkey led Castillo's new team from being able to pay the second instalment. Even if that happens, I can't see him back in FCD

Also, Trabzonspor apparently couldn't fork over 4 million at once, so this allows them to pay the rest later. 

A little off topic, but they have made some good moves.

In addition to Castillo, they signed Onazi from Lazio, a 24 year old Nigerian International who regularly lines up next to Jon Obi Mikel with the Super Eagles. He's won almost 40 caps in his young career. 

They also brought in South Korean international Suk Hyun-Jun - he's a 25 year old South Korean international striker who's scored 4 goals in 10 caps. He's on loan from Porto.

Finally, it should be noted that Oscar Cardozo is still with Trabzonspor for the time being. His reputation is well known. 

So, a lot of weapons for Castillo to play with, or possibly a lot of competition for him to see the field? I guess we'll find out soon. Looking forward to watching Hutchinson face Castillo this season. 

I don't think much will effect Tesho's place in Dallas. He's sort of a utility forward/forward that will always be getting a lot of minutes a season. He'll start some, he'll sub in on some, he seems to be settling into that 6-8 goal a year MLS player type.

2 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

I don't think much will effect Tesho's place in Dallas. He's sort of a utility forward/forward that will always be getting a lot of minutes a season. He'll start some, he'll sub in on some, he seems to be settling into that 6-8 goal a year MLS player type.

I don't really watch FCD, but I read speculation from their fans that Akindele would probably see a big uptick in minutes. Completely second hand though 

• 2 months later...
45 minutes ago, Fastfeet2 said:

Congratulations to Tesho for lifting the Supporters Shield with FC Dallas this year. In 31 appearances he contributed 6 goals and 4 assists.

Been a good year for him with that double. He's probably the most underrated current member of the MNT

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I don't like Zambrano's reasoning for not calling up Tesho: 

Zambrano said he left FC Dallas forward Tesho Akindele off the roster with an idea to calling him up for the Jamaica friendly in Toronto on Sept. 2.

"We need to rotate our players," he said. "We can't get right now locked in a group of players. We are bringing in different players at different times in order to see everyone. Because once (2022 World Cup) qualifiers come, we will have to have a pretty good inventory of what we've got on our hands."

This is a tournament not a friendly.

Maybe there's more to it like Dallas asking to keep him.  They are getting hammered with people playing in the Cup.  Zambrano is keeping two guys at their clubs to help them get established.  It's hard to get too worked up over anyone being left off for one tourny.  It's his first one and there's probably a million different factors playing into who did and didn't get selected.

1 hour ago, Vince193 said:

Zambrano said he left FC Dallas forward Tesho Akindele off the roster with an idea to calling him up for the Jamaica friendly in Toronto on Sept. 2.

"We need to rotate our players," he said. "We can't get right now locked in a group of players. We are bringing in different players at different times in order to see everyone. Because once (2022 World Cup) qualifiers come, we will have to have a pretty good inventory of what we've got on our hands."

I think it is great. If you read between the lines, Zombrano is saying he doesn't think Akindele is the guy he wants in the tournament. Sure, he'll give him some time in a friendly but right now he wants players who are hot and scoring goals (Akindele's goal production is fine but not like Cavallini or AJH). In fact, I think this is a good wake up call to players that we now have some depth. and you need to earn your spot. Getting the same guys on the field  that we always do won't work -- it hasn't worked in a long time so time to switch things up. 

On 2017-6-28 at 3:08 PM, Vince193 said:

This has resparked my fears about him and the CSA's delay in hiring him.

On 2017-6-28 at 4:29 PM, Boominbooty said:

I think it is great. If you read between the lines, Zombrano is saying he doesn't think Akindele is the guy he wants in the tournament. Sure, he'll give him some time in a friendly but right now he wants players who are hot and scoring goals (Akindele's goal production is fine but not like Cavallini or AJH).

Or he just left the man who is currently one of Canada's two most proven goalscorer in big games (at the club level at least) off his roster before a big tournament in favour of several still fairly unknown options because he still has no idea how to run this team and needs to use this cup to experiment because the CSA hired him too late.

10 minutes ago, matty said:

This has resparked my fears about him and the CSA's delay in hiring him.

Or he just left the man who is currently one of Canada's two most proven goalscorer in big games (at the club level at least) off his roster before a big tournament in favour of several still fairly unknown options because he still has no idea how to run this team and needs to use this cup to experiment because the CSA hired him too late.

That's the spirit! I guess time will tell. 

Just now, Boominbooty said:

That's the spirit! I guess time will tell. 

I like your cheerfulness but this could be very bad. I agree time will tell but it's concerning when someone like Akindele, who is proven to be at least decent, is pushed aside for guys who haven't really played all year.

AJH has more goals than Akindele in both the MLS and for team Canada this year. That is important and I think what Zambrano is looking at right now. He's going with who he feels can deliver. Akindele's job is to score goals. He isnt doing much of that right.

6 minutes ago, Boominbooty said:

AJH has more goals than Akindele in both the MLS and for team Canada this year. That is important and I think what Zambrano is looking at right now. He's going with who he feels can deliver. Akindele's job is to score goals. He isnt doing much of that right.

I'm not directly talking AJH here (whose situation is hard to read because of how bad Montreal is doing and who he has scored against for Canada). There's a good number of players, mid especially, who haven't done much at the club level this year or are player a weaker levels that got called over Tesho (who is someone versatile enough to operate in both mid and attack well).

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Mike Thompson said:

Very disappointed tbh with Zambrano's decision to not play him. As he had previously said in an interview he didn't select him for the Gold Cup for the purpose of calling him up for this friendly against Jamaica 

We have options across the front now, and Tesho will be in tough for minutes. Zambrano is able to assess his players throughout the camp, not just in the friendly. We're not so lucky, but I've been pleased by what we've seen so far from the team under OZ.

Sure is nice to have options upfront. It is up to Tesho to keep improving and make sure this kind of situation is not an option for Zambrano in the future. Hope to see him get some minutes in October. 

Will always be tough though. Like AJH they are not traditional strikers and have a slightly different skillset from your traditional no.9. If he is a striker though he is going to have to add more goals/assists to his decent all round game to dislodge the likes of Larin, Cavallini and AJH. 

Always thought not calling up a player to a major tournament in order to give him a look in a friendly was idiotic reasoning.

But I also believe Akindele did not deserve a call up to the Gold Cup anyways

• 6 months later...