Tesho Akindele

3 hours ago, Wingback6 said:

Really? He was called up by the USMNT in 2015, though it is debatable whether he would still be getting call-ups from them now, based on how his career has played out.

Yes he was called into a friendly camp once and didn’t make the roster. I also don’t think it’s debatable on any level that he would get any more camp invites, let alone callups, from USMNT. He’s simply not that that level 

2 hours ago, Floortom said:

Yes he was called into a friendly camp once and didn’t make the roster. I also don’t think it’s debatable on any level that he would get any more camp invites, let alone callups, from USMNT. He’s simply not that that level 

He was called into the camp but didn't have a US passport which is why the US never capped him.

Look I agree he would not be on the USmnt today but I do think they would have capped him in at least a friendly if he had a passport

Edited by matty

Still think this a great sign for Canada that a guy like Tesho is considered a fringe roster guy for a first team Canada squad...I dont think he stays in Dallas they've got some really good and cheap young attacking talent in the pipeline..hopefully he gets that worked out and is a guy who stays in N America and is a guy who can get called up for friendlies, League of Nations Games and depth for future WCQ's

• 1 month later...

Picking up some more game time lately. Mainly on the wings. Got to be dissappinted to be injury free all year and only pick up minutes every other game. 

Could well be a CPL marquee player at this point next year. A similar situation to Teibert where he is essentially kicking tires as a squad player at a pivotal point in his career where he needs to be starting as much as possible.

Much like teibert, I like tesho's play but maybe they are a) happy and b) destined to not become more than squad players. 

24 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Picking up some more game time lately. Mainly on the wings. Got to be dissappinted to be injury free all year and only pick up minutes every other game. 

Could well be a CPL marquee player at this point next year. A similar situation to Teibert where he is essentially kicking tires as a squad player at a pivotal point in his career where he needs to be starting as much as possible.

Much like teibert, I like tesho's play but maybe they are a) happy and b) destined to not become more than squad players. 

Except Teibert has played 7 times more minutes than Tesho, and started 6 of the last 7 games... He's very much an integral piece of Vancouver's squad.

Edited by C2SKI

In the Starting XI at SJ Earthquakes 

Lets hope he gets the full 90’ minutes and gets a goal or assist

With 9 games left to go (including this one) in the regular season 

He’s played just 12 matches in 2018 with FCD compared to 29 in 2017, 33 in 2016, 32 in 2015 and 29 in 2014.

He’s anything but guaranteed a contract for next year, and of course his option being picked up by the club

I wonder how he’d fit with the Colorado Rapids 

He did grow up just outside of Denver in a city called Thornton since the age of 8

1 hour ago, C2SKI said:

Except Teibert has played 7 times more minutes than Tesho, and started 6 of the last 7 games... He's very much an integral piece of Vancouver's squad.

Yeah, should also clarify I don't see Teibert playing in the CPL next year!

I just think both but Teibert in particular has deserved more and both have more to give. Given the last run of games, this season seems to be turning around for Russell. He has still started less than half the games, but that is an increase from the last two years. Robinson does like to rotate though in fairness. I just think he is capable enough to he starting more often, giving him a better chance for the national set up.

I still look at Russell in the same bracket as Osorio who has started almost double the amount of games. 

Tesho burst on the scene in his rookie year and has been a good hand for Dallas since. He has shown he is capable (albeit with a slightly different skill set for a natural forward or winger) from a national team stand point I want to see him somewhere he can start. I can't see him making it past the waivers this year. Starting in the CPL seems a better fit than a similar bench situation in the MLS.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Looking at the roster, I wonder if this selection came at the expense of Raheem? Is that fair? Akindele can play as a CF though, so perhaps I am wrong, but that's how I am reading it. Anybody else see it that way?

Or perhaps, his gain is Jackson-Hamel's loss, not Edward's...

Strange not to see AJH and Edwards not in the CanMNT fold this time around. I’d say with MAK’s form with LAFC before his injury he  for sure deserved the call up 

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Looking at the roster, I wonder if this selection came at the expense of Raheem? Is that fair? Akindele can play as a CF though, so perhaps I am wrong, but that's how I am reading it. Anybody else see it that way?

Or perhaps, his gain is Jackson-Hamel's loss, not Edward's...

Looking objectively Raheem should have been called over Tesho.  Raheem has been better and can play LB as well. 

5 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Strange not to see AJH and Edwards not in the CanMNT fold this time around. I’d say with MAK’s form with LAFC before his injury he  for sure deserved the call up 

Agree and i would say that is a compliment to both, as Jackson Hamel hasn't played much and Edwards has played but not well enough consistently. Just flashes.

Edited by Obinna

3 hours ago, Keegan said:

Looking objectively Raheem should have been called over Tesho.  Raheem has been better and can play LB as well. 

Actually having watched both Petrasso and Edwards at the Impact I think Petrasso should have been called not Edwards. To be honest both were not as good as we were expecting especially defending but Petrasso seemed to improve more over the course of the season. On the wing they are similar, both are fast although Edwards is faster but Edwards relies too much on his athleticism while Petrasso is more intelligent. Both need to improve a lot to be more than depth players on the national team but since Petrasso can play right back better than Edwards we need him until we get someone better or he improves. AJH was not called because he hasn't played much and is coming off injury but I do not understand why Akindele was called since he is having a mediocre season and we have enough better options at striker and wing. We are really thin at fullback with this selection which is the one thing that I do not like about the selection. 

7 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

...but I do not understand why Akindele was called since he is having a mediocre season and we have enough better options at striker and wing...

But he has been playing lately and maybe it's also some kind of reward for always showing up. I bet he won't even play btw. 

27 minutes ago, shamrock said:

But he has been playing lately and maybe it's also some kind of reward for always showing up. I bet he won't even play btw. 

Yes I also suspect he won't play so that is why I am questioning why he has been called in the first place instead of someone who could potentially play at right or left back where only 2 players have been selected.