Tesho Akindele

On 10/11/2021 at 7:25 PM, Obinna said:

Maybe this is me grasping at straws, but he was on the books at Lille for several years. He was loaned out to clubs in the Portuguese and Belgian top flights as a 21 and 22 year old.

He never made an impact or even played much, but I like to think you don't get those loans if you don't have something about you.

I'm not an expert, and won't be able to list players, but I feel like it's common for young players to be attached to higher levels than they ever end up being capable of. These young players aren't typically considered already there, the hope/assumption has to be that they will improve. But some players maybe just peak early, and can't continue to get better. Just like in the Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty thread, it's clear he wasn't signed to a first team contract when they thought he could contribute. They signed him with the hope/belief that he will continue to progress and become better than he already is. If that doesn't pan out, the teams the player signs with get less, and less, impressive.

I said I won't be able to list players, but I'll give one example. Freddy Adu went from MLS to Benfica, and then just tumbled further and further down.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I'm not an expert, and won't be able to list players, but I feel like it's common for young players to be attached to higher levels than they ever end up being capable of. These young players aren't typically considered already there, the hope/assumption has to be that they will improve. But some players maybe just peak early, and can't continue to get better. Just like in the Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty thread, it's clear he wasn't signed to a first team contract when they thought he could contribute. They signed him with the hope/belief that he will continue to progress and become better than he already is. If that doesn't pan out, the teams the player signs with get less, and less, impressive.

I said I won't be able to list players, but I'll give one example. Freddy Adu went from MLS to Benfica, and then just tumbled further and further down.

Fraser Aird is a good example of this too.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

The reverse of this are players like Allistair Johnston, who for what ever reason didn't latch on to a pro club and ended up steadly climbing the ranks. Right now he's undoubtedly more complete and valuable than Brym, yet is the same age (different position, but still). He's playing for a better club in a better league, too. A few years ago we barely knew who he was while Brym was attached to Lille. 

At the end of the day I guess you have to look at these guys case-by-case. His prior attachment to Lille doesn't guarentee shit on it's own, but he has a nice skill set and Herdman seems to rate him, so that's 3 positive data points, if you will: (1) Good on the ball, (2) liked by the coach, (3) was with a big club.   

• 5 weeks later...
3 hours ago, narduch said:

Akindele on the bench for Orlando.

21 minutes ago, Big_M said:

nashville wins 3-1...akindele subbed in and missed a good chance...hes likely done with orlando

Akindele played the final 15 minutes or so tonight.

His contract is up at the end of the year.

He has been with Orlando for 3 seasons now and, just like @Big_M , my gut feeling is also that he won't be back for a 4th.

I'm conflicted with Tesho because I think he has good moments of holding up the ball well and creating some chaos in the box but he does have his blunders as well. I don't think he deserves the flak he gets from Orlando fans but at some point I think they probably do want to see someone better as their backup striker. 

I'm not sure where he goes but I'd imagine he will become the scapegoat again. Maybe it's time to head across the pond for something new but I see him being a career MLSer. 

20 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

Maybe it's time to head across the pond for something new but I see him being a career MLSer. 

I believe his wife is from Texas and I have difficulty imagining him leaving the States.

If he leaves Orlando I see him wanting to go to Houston or Austin.

He was on $ 290 000 USD.

Sadly, I think his days of making over 200k are over and he'll be making something more similar to Tyler Pasher ~ $ 160 000 USD or something in that range.

54 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I believe his wife is from Texas and I have difficulty imagining him leaving the States.

He was on $ 290 000 USD.

Sadly, I think his days of making over 200k are over and he'll be making something more similar to Tyler Pasher ~ $ 160 000 USD or something in that range.

Yea it’s not easy to say that in MLS. That’s what the players union is for. Reason why they display their salaries.

Tesho isn’t a CJ Sappong (427K), but he’s better than a Patrick Mullins (248K) …. And his return is better than Bobby Wood (968K).

200K is now a vet bench player. That is Tesho. 

4 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

He was on $ 290 000 USD.

Fortunately for him there are probably spots available across the Texas teams if he wants to stay down there. As you say, Houston and Austin really struggled to score this year, and it’s looking doubtful FC Dallas hangs onto Ricardo Pepi. Not sure whether Tesho’s salary makes sense within Dallas’ ethos of selling homegrowns, but he might welcome a return to familiar shores. Expansion Charlotte is also an option.

10 hours ago, Shway said:

Yea it’s not easy to say that in MLS. That’s what the players union is for. Reason why they display their salaries.

Tesho isn’t a CJ Sappong (427K), but he’s better than a Patrick Mullins (248K) …. And his return is better than Bobby Wood (968K).

200K is now a vet bench player. That is Tesho. 

Well said.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him move from Orlando, but I don't see him taking anything close to a 50% pay. This is a reliable veteran who is capable of starting matches. Let's not forget who's keeping him out of the starting line up in Orlando (Daryl Dike). How many no. 9's in MLS get ahead of Dike?

Here's something else to consider, do Orlando want to lose Dike AND Akindele? I imagine the former is gone this winter, or next summer at the latest. Orlando could re-sign Akindele to an extension for similar money, or even a slight bump. 300k for a player of Akindele's pedigree and resume is not outlandish by any means. 29 yr/old with 18 goals across 88 games in all comps....

1 minute ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Ok, maybe 195 000.

Jay Chapman was on 180 000 this year.

but I can't see who would pay over 220k for Akindele given his recent playing time and form.

That's still close to 30% right? That's a pretty steep decline, isn't it? Unless a player has a significant injury, or perhaps a dreadful season, the trend is for players to earn slightly more as time goes on, until they are well past their prime. 

I think context matters here. His goals and minutes are down, but that's because of Dike, not because he's out of form or struggling with fitness, know what I mean?

Maybe none of that matters and he can only find a deal for 195,000, but I would be surprised....

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

He is still a good return for them, 3G 6 assists in 15 starts...1300min, thats not too shabby.  As long as the pay cut isnt too mcuh.  Hell TFC paid Mullins 250 for zero goals and Dwyer 80g for not even one shot on net.  

I doubt there is a pay cut. They picked up an option on his existing contract. I suppose it’s possible that the contract was front loaded, but I doubt it.

53 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Oh no...Shway is going to make us responsible for apoligizing for all the posts that turned out to be wrong???  

Bless me Father Shway.....I have so many transgressions.....where to begin....I guess Ben Spencer doesnt have pictures of Vanney b$$%%ing a goat...  

Assuming that only those who have never been wrong can offer absolution to others, I believe Shway is the only one here who qualifies.  Maybe he should set up a confessional thread for the rest of us.  🙂

• 1 month later...