Tesho Akindele

12 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Personally. I think you call Akindele before Miller as they play similar positions and Miller needs to establish himself with his side. 

It's a great point, if a little debatable. If I'm Tesho and Liam's getting called ahead of me and Liam's having a less-remarkable of a season at a less-than-remarkable club, I think he has a right to wonder why he's being excluded.

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

MLS isnt breaking for these games.

I had to go look at the schedule because I thought that was crazy. I know some MLS teams have elected to play through international dates but generally most of the league takes a break.

But... you're right. There are a ton of games scheduled (even TFC, which used to take nearly all FIFA dates off, is playing twice during the window).

I get that they want to end the season earlier, which means making compromises like playing more midweek games and playing through more FIFA dates, but this is ridiculous. It's not fair to club nor country.

3 hours ago, Reign said:

Yeah the argument for Larin because he was at Beskitas is weak. Many Beskitas fans considered him the worst player to ever play for the club. They wanted him gone! These same fans absolutely adore Hutch so it’s not a bias opinion from them. 

The argument isn’t that he played for Besiktas, it’s that Akindele is not in the same class of player. 

I agree with thoughts that he would be going for Millar* and not Larin.  And tbh if Larin is starting in Belgium and Millar isn’t starting somewhere it’s pretty obvious. 

Yes, Larin didn't become a starter at Besiktas, but it is Besiktas. This is not some rinky dink European club. Big players are in that team, albeit some past their prime, but you get the point. It was never going to be easy and many of us said he'll probably go out on loan immediately. Larin actually surprised everyone by scoring early into his tenure. Now he is finally on loan, which should have happened earlier, but it is what it is, nobody knows how these things will play out.

The problem is that although he's finally now gone on loan, he's done so under circumstances where he's looking to regain his form and confidence, both of which have been low for a while now. It seems like he lost both during his struggles at a club where he was already out of his depth and probably had no business seeing the field that soon. He is an excellent finisher (when he is confident) but all other aspects of his game were just a slight notch below where they had to be to play at Besiktas. If Larin had not made the most of that late season chance, where he started his career at Besiktas red-hot, he would have probably gone out on this type of loan much earlier and with both his form and confidence still relatively intact. And he may have sharpened his skills to the point where he was a Besiktas-level player.

So this is where he's at. 2 games in and he's started both which is great, but his team hasn't scored and he missed s penalty and they were just crushed 4-0. Not really the best of starts for him in Belgium.

I hope he finds himself again, but for now I absolutely have no problem with us giving Akindele a chance, at least for the Cuba games. He's scoring at a decent level and he can play CF as well as out wide. I see no risk whatsoever for dropping Larin and it may be good for Cyle to take focus solely on picking up the pieces of his once promising club career, which looks more and more broken with every passing match.

33 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Akindele is starting for Orlando in the USOC semi against Atlanta.

He leads the team with 2 goals in this competition, so his total on the year is already at 9 (I think he's on 7 MLS goals).

At this pace he might beat Larin's 12 from 2016.

I see just one goal in this competition.  I saw on mlssoccer they had him at 2 but I checked soccerway and it’s just 1. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PopePouri said:

Leading scorer on his team. Tesho has definitely fought for his place and right now, for me, is only behind Cav, David and Hoilett for a place in our front 3 (assuming Davies is a left back).

4 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Leading scorer on his team. Tesho has definitely fought for his place and right now, for me, is only behind Cav, David and Hoilett for a place in our front 3 (assuming Davies is a left back).

Basing it solely on current form, fairly hard to disagree with this. 

Watched an Orlando game the other day, and I was quite surprised/impressed with his back to goal hold up play. Should be expected I guess based on his size. Good versatility, as he could play out wide or as a CF/ST.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...