Tesho Akindele

Scored again tonight, it was a U.S. Open Cup game, but against Houston. Deserves his own thread.

Early career

Born in Canada before his family moved to the Denver area at a young age, Akindele grew up in Thornton, Colorado. A standout for Northglenn High School, he turned down an offer to join the Colorado Rapids academy at the age of 17, preferring to focus on academics.

Akindele played four years of college soccer at the Colorado School of Mines, where he became the school’s all-time goals leader with 76 goals scored , and was a four time All-American. He ranked second in the nation in goals scored in 2012 with 22 and was named a First Team NSCAA All-American and the 2012 RMAC Offensive Player of the Year for his efforts. Also an NSCAA First Team All-American and the RMAC Freshman of the Year in 2010, Akindele was the first player in the history of his school’s conference to score three consecutive hat tricks.

Akindele also made a single appearance for USL PDL club Real Colorado Foxes in 2013.

FC Dallas

On January 16, 2014, Akindele was drafted in the first round (6th overall) of the 2014 MLS SuperDraft by FC Dallas, becoming the highest-highest-drafted Division II player in MLS history. Akindele made his professional debut in a 2-3 loss against Seattle Sounders FC on April 12, 2014.

International

Akindele attended a youth training camp of the Canadian youth national team in 2009 and played for Canada's u-17 national team.

Edited by Dub Narcotic

He had played with Canada's U17 team before and I recall reading something about his college coach trying to get the CMNT attention for him so I imagine there is at least some interest.

I also don't imagine he'd be on the US' radar so I don't see why he wouldn't play for Canada.

• 4 weeks later...

Among young MLS aspirants, I would guess he is behind McInerney, Neagle, Amarkiwa, and Zardes at the moment, although that could change. The problem with right wing is that our wings are likely to be inundated with young guys soon.  Surely it's not out of the question that he could play for the US, and a callup is even more possible. That said, it would take improvement. And Canada would be a good option. 

Well  if  interested  in  Nigeria   he  can  forget  about  that   with  the  Sanctions  by  FIFA    so  Canada   would  be  a  good  option.  Lets  grab  him  before   the  Yanks  do.

Sanctions have already been lifted already (yes, it was very short lived).

I saw that mack, nice.

Any chance we actually get him?

I think he would play for us if we called him up, but seeing as he never really replies when asked about Canada I assume he is another player who wants to keep his options (USMNT) open. That doesn't really bother me much because we haven't really involved him in our youth squads and he has grown up in the US for most of his life.

Born in Calgary, the rookie hopes his recent play could be strong enough to put him back on the radar screen for the Canadian national team.

“I think at the beginning of the season they might have talked to some of the guys in the front office, but it isn’t something I’ve heard anything about lately,” Akindele said. “When I was 17 I played a couple of games but that was it, so there has been a big gap since then.

“I feel like any time you have a chance to play international soccer you have to jump at that.”

The good thing is that we are starting to produce a number of good strong fast and technically sound strikers in this kid, Hamilton, Larin, Clarke, cavallini, and possibly huietma. If 2 or 3 them can start for mls or higher sides and score consistently in the next couple of years, perhaps we have a chance at the next round of qualifying....especially if we can offset them with wingers like petrasso, aird, holler to help service them. I think the central midfield with Hutchinson, tiebert, Johnson, osario, alderson is starting to shape up. We will have a young inexperienced side but quite a bit of potential.