Tesho Akindele

15 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Don't begrudge Herdman trying something else. I love tesho. He is a solid hand at international level but really doesn't offer much and didn't last time. 

Wasn't and still aren't convinced Brym was worthy of the call but he is the future and Tesho doesn't add much more in the present.

Tesho is serviceable depth and that is exactly what you get from him. I just think with all that we’re out , he would have been a decent option noting more. He is. It going to beat the world. 

8 hours ago, toontownman said:

Don't begrudge Herdman trying something else. I love tesho. He is a solid hand at international level but really doesn't offer much and didn't last time. 

Wasn't and still aren't convinced Brym was worthy of the call but he is the future and Tesho doesn't add much more in the present.

He may not be flashy, but he is a seasoned pro.   He will do the job you ask of him.   Contrast with Brym who IMO has not contributed in his two sub appearances.   As for the idea that he is the future - I just don’t see it.  David and Akinola will be there.  Ennin should be integrated (and likely should have been called this time if we wanted to integrate a young striker).  Jebbison may come into the fold. 

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

He may not be flashy, but he is a seasoned pro.   He will do the job you ask of him.   Contrast with Brym who IMO has not contributed in his two sub appearances.   As for the idea that he is the future - I just don’t see it.  David and Akinola will be there.  Ennin should be integrated (and likely should have been called this time if we wanted to integrate a young striker).  Jebbison may come into the fold. 

I can actually see why they like Brym. You can tell he has talent and he had some nice touches in the Mexico game that made me think he can be useful at this level. Then he had a few minutes against Jamaica and was dreadful.

You sometimes get those ups and downs with young players, which is why I get the calls for Akindele. Had it been him on the field maybe we get a cross into the box and something comes of it.

These games are crucial but Herdman wants late minutes to go to the young players with a higher ceiling. Not sure I agree with the approach.

Was feeling good about it when I saw Brym against Mexico and was defenitiely not when I saw how poor him and Schaff were against Jamaica.

I guess we have to trust in Herdman at this point. He's taken us this far.

I don’t see it with Brym. From Olympic qualifying through the short run outs he has  failed to impress.  And he has looked slow even though the players he was up against had played full games.  Herdman obviously sees something in him but if Akinola is healthy and Jebbison commits to the program than he better find a first division team that he can contribute at or his calls may be coming to an end.  Happy to be proven wrong but right now I don’t see it.

53 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I can actually see why they like Brym. You can tell he has talent and he had some nice touches in the Mexico game that made me think he can be useful at this level. Then he had a few minutes against Jamaica and was dreadful.

You sometimes get those ups and downs with young players, which is why I get the calls for Akindele. Had it been him on the field maybe we get a cross into the box and something comes of it.

These games are crucial but Herdman wants late minutes to go to the young players with a higher ceiling. Not sure I agree with the approach.

Was feeling good about it when I saw Brym against Mexico and was defenitiely not when I saw how poor him and Schaff were against Jamaica.

I guess we have to trust in Herdman at this point. He's taken us this far.

I actually like Brym's off the ball movement at the start of the Olympic qualifying (maybe because he was more active than the glacial Bair) but he didn't seem to pick it up another level (as compared to Buchanon's trajectory) as the tourney progressed.

Tough pitch and coming on late are challenges for young guys so decision making on plays is the key.  You can't afford to have buck fever at this level with these high stakes.

Edited by BearcatSA

I think with Brym, the tools are there, but to steal a line from a former legendary Raptors draft pick, he may still be "two years away from being two years away"

At the end of the day his inclusion is simply opportunistic, if we evaluate our attacking pool when it's all healthy he's nowhere near inclusion and I don't have a problem with seeing what he may bring to the group considering we know Tesho can and will provide the bare minimum we require and not a whole lot more. We didn't fully know what Brym might have brought when put in with this group, and now have a better idea

With the horrid field conditions, Tesho would have been a player to give us an option on crosses into the box and on set  plays both for and against. I'm curious if anyone watched the Jamaica/Panama game and if the field conditions were as bad. I know the Jamaica squad was different for that game, but I don't know how they could have scored 3 on that field.

8 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

With the horrid field conditions, Tesho would have been a player to give us an option on crosses into the box and on set  plays both for and against. I'm curious if anyone watched the Jamaica/Panama game and if the field conditions were as bad. I know the Jamaica squad was different for that game, but I don't know how they could have scored 3 on that field.

Here are the goal high lights.

Just now, Kadenge said:

So the pitch looked poor, but 3 great goals...hard to tell from the highlights but it looks like Jamaica was better organized in midfield and defense yesterday

Panama probably got lucky that they faced Jamaica at the right time.

Mexico needed an 89th minute goal to beat them. And Jamaica did manage to draw Costa Rica away. They were probably never going to be the pushovers we were hoping.

6 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

I don’t see it with Brym. From Olympic qualifying through the short run outs he has  failed to impress.  And he has looked slow even though the players he was up against had played full games.  Herdman obviously sees something in him but if Akinola is healthy and Jebbison commits to the program than he better find a first division team that he can contribute at or his calls may be coming to an end.  Happy to be proven wrong but right now I don’t see it.

I wonder if it's a positional thing. If I recall correctly his first 3 caps came at wide forward, where he was very good and even scored. He was able to use his skill out wide and dribble around players. For myself and others he was the pleasant surprise coming out of that January camp.

Since then he's had an unimpressive U-23 tournament at the 9 position.

Not making excuses for his poor play, but it does makes me wonder how much position comes into it.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I wonder if it's a positional thing. If I recall correctly his first 3 caps came at wide forward, where he was very good and even scored. He was able to use his skill out wide and dribble around players. For myself and others he was the pleasant surprise coming out of that January camp.

Since then he's had an unimpressive U-23 tournament at the 9 position.

Not making excuses for his poor play, but it does makes me wonder how much position comes into it.

He's also 23 years old and plays in the second tier of Dutch football. 

There is a chance he just doesn't have the quality.

Edited by Bertuzzi44

4 hours ago, Kadenge said:

So the pitch looked poor, but 3 great goals...hard to tell from the highlights but it looks like Jamaica was better organized in midfield and defense yesterday

Yeah they were definitely not as organized against Panama. They played all attacking players because they couldn’t play any of their UK based players in the away games. So they tried to fit in a bunch of attacking midfielders, wingers, and strikers into their front 6 players and were very poor. The pitch conditions didn’t affect Panama as much either, as they play a more direct style and didn’t have to try to break down a low block like we did. Two completely different matches, so it’s not really a like for like comparison when looking at how Panama scored and why we couldn’t replicate that. It would have been nice to have Larin or Cavallini (or even Akinola) to have more of an aerial threat to get on the end of crosses.

37 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

He's also 23 years old and plays in the second tier of Dutch football. 

There is a chance he just doesn't have the quality.

Absolutely. It's not the environment you'd expect a 23 year old attacker to be playing in for our national team.

Maybe that was good enough in years gone by, but not anymore. 

I think if he's killing it you can look past the club level, knowing his stay will only be a brief one.

Maybe this is me grasping at straws, but he was on the books at Lille for several years. He was loaned out to clubs in the Portuguese and Belgian top flights as a 21 and 22 year old.

He never made an impact or even played much, but I like to think you don't get those loans if you don't have something about you.

Herdman and the coaching staff clearly see something they like, but he needs to start playing better with his chances or he won't get many more.

I hope he can succeed because you can never have too much attacking depth.

Edited by Obinna