Tesho Akindele

Just now, BearcatSA said:

I think he's a guy with the potential to be making a whole lot more $  

For sure. It's refreshing to see guys retire from soccer to maximize their earning potential, instead of being forced to retire from injury or just getting old, knowing that financially it will be downhill for them from that point forward. 

Tesho is a winner, with a winner's mentality. If he feels like he's not at a top level anymore I could definitely see him pulling the shoot and moving onto the next thing, even if he could have hung around in MLS/the game for a few more years.

He also went to the Colorado School of Mines, which is a legit school. So the guy's got a brain on him too. I'm sure he'll achieve in whatever is his next endeavour.

On 12/21/2022 at 11:55 AM, Obinna said:

For sure. It's refreshing to see guys retire from soccer to maximize their earning potential, instead of being forced to retire from injury or just getting old, knowing that financially it will be downhill for them from that point forward. 

Or he's started at a time of all time low interest rates and thinks real estate only goes up and might be levered as such. 

Hopefully that's not the case. 

1 hour ago, yomurphy1 said:

Or he's started at a time of all time low interest rates and thinks real estate only goes up and might be levered as such. 

Hopefully that's not the case. 

When I read that post, I was thinking the same thing.  

Real estate is definitely going to slow down with rising interest rates. I think a percentage of the population will owe more than what their houses are worth.

9 hours ago, SoCalTransport said:

When I read that post, I was thinking the same thing.  

Real estate is definitely going to slow down with rising interest rates. I think a percentage of the population will owe more than what their houses are worth.

Yeah to put this in context he make 340k last year.  Next contract wasn't going to be the same. 

https://www.osdbsports.com/mls/players/tesho-akindele/contracts/soccer-539392

Let's say he's making half of that with real estate and yielding 5% on property (probably generous) then there's 3.4M in property behind that.  

If he went fixed long term (because you can do that competitively in the states) he's maybe okay, but if there's any variable that could get ugly plus he's lost the salary to service that debt. Plus last year was a high earning year for him so there's likely leverage.  

He's also likely done this in Florida which has been an extremely hot market. 

Of course if he's brokering that's different. 

Again hope I'm wrong. 

Edited by yomurphy1

Honestly my favourite Tesho memory will be him being left off the 2021 Gold Cup roster, only to be called upon as an emergency replacement and showing up and doing a great job in non-ideal circumstances. No complaints, just very solid play when called upon. The ideal depth/team guy. 

Big respect for Tesho; wish him all the best in the future!

A funny moment for me involving Akindele was when he came on as a sub for Orlando at home to the Caps, was part of the build up for the go ahead (or tying?) goal but clearly was not the scorer, yet Peter Schaad's prefab script had him calling out, "...and who else?  Tesho Akindele scores it for Orlando!"  Oops!  But it does lead me to say that he had a reputation and a knack of being a fox-in-the-box as a sub and I thought he could do a good job in that role (like with the Caps) for a few couple of more years yet.  However, all power to him in his future!

On 12/23/2022 at 6:01 AM, yomurphy1 said:

Yeah to put this in context he make 340k last year.  Next contract wasn't going to be the same. 

https://www.osdbsports.com/mls/players/tesho-akindele/contracts/soccer-539392

Let's say he's making half of that with real estate and yielding 5% on property (probably generous) then there's 3.4M in property behind that.  

If he went fixed long term (because you can do that competitively in the states) he's maybe okay, but if there's any variable that could get ugly plus he's lost the salary to service that debt. Plus last year was a high earning year for him so there's likely leverage.  

He's also likely done this in Florida which has been an extremely hot market. 

Of course if he's brokering that's different. 

Again hope I'm wrong. 

One of the more interesting threadjacks in this forum's history.

On 12/24/2022 at 4:48 AM, Bertuzzi44 said:

Honestly my favourite Tesho memory will be him being left off the 2021 Gold Cup roster, only to be called upon as an emergency replacement and showing up and doing a great job in non-ideal circumstances. No complaints, just very solid play when called upon. The ideal depth/team guy. 

Big respect for Tesho; wish him all the best in the future!

Honestly, my best memory of Tesho is that he decided to rep Canada. Yes, we think of him as a depth guy, but when he made that decision he had just won rookie of the year and had just attended a USMNT camp. When he committed back in 2015, Tesho was the first high profile dual national to commit to us in over a decade. Within 12 months Hoilett and Arfield had committed was well.

For me Tesho committing was some much needed light at the end of a very dark dual national loosing tunnel.

Edited by A_Gagne

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, ADP10 said:

Would have been cool to see him in the Canpl

He didn't retire cause he had to, he retired cause he had a new interest and project.  This guy could've easily kept going at an MLS salary, no need to drop down to CPL in his case.  He isn't even old.

• 9 months later...

hes back playing in the us open cup with usl2 team des moines menaces as they built a super roster with multiple former mls players akindele rowe kljestan delagarza espinoza...they won in the previous round (akindele had not joined yet) with kljestan assisting a goal and scoring the winning kick in the shootouts...terique mohammed also with them tonight