Marco Bustos

Forgive the ignorance of this question, but could they get rights for showing matches for specific clubs, or does it have to be for the league? I don't care to watch PSG play Lens, and I definitely don't care to watch Ajax play Go Ahead Eagles, but I definitely care about watching Celtic play anyone, Lille playing whomever, FC Eidenhovan playing Jong PSV, etc. Obviously, they couldn't get Bayern or Valladolid league games, but what about the cup games?

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Corazon said:

I would think if we release a Gold Cup Preliminary roster, him along with many other fringe players will be included.  Not sure if he makes any final squad though.

I think the MLS players that have emerged this season (Ahmed, Heibert, Farsi, Choiniere, Shaff) get a spot way before someone like Bustos unless he starts lighting it up.

Edited by Soccerpro2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

https://us.soccerway.com/players/marco-bustos/289018/

I find it hard to know what to make of his stint in Sweden so far.

He joined a club that was promoted last season, if I recall correctly, so it's not as if he was joining a title contender. That meant in theory he would have reasonable chance of making an impact, but with just 422 minutes played after 13 games I am not sure he's I would qualify his time as a success yet. He's not a starter, but he does now have 2 goals to go with that assist. That's not too shabby given the minutes he's played.

What do you guys think? Has he done better or worse than you expected?

One thing I was looking for was to see if he could push onto the Gold Cup squad. At the time of his signing I felt it was remotely possible but only if he was their star player, basically. From there I thought he could maybe even move up the European ladder to a stronger team and find a regular place in the NT.

Looks like he'll need a bit more time to make that happen. At 27 years old it's still possible for him this cycle, although odds are stacked against him I would say.

Edited by Obinna

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

https://us.soccerway.com/players/marco-bustos/289018/

I find it hard to know what to make of his stint in Sweden so far.

He joined a club that was promoted last season, if I recall correctly, so it's not as if he was joining a title contender. That meant in theory he would have reasonable chance of making an impact, but with just 422 minutes played after 13 games I am not sure he's I would qualify his time as a success yet. He's not a starter, but he does now have 2 goals to go with that assist. That's not too shabby given the minutes he's played.

What do you guys think? Has he done better or worse than you expected?

One thing I was looking for was to see if he could push onto the Gold Cup squad. At the time of his signing I felt it was remotely possible but only if he was their star player, basically. From there I thought he could maybe even move up the European ladder to a stronger team and find a regular place in the NT.

Looks like he'll need a bit more time to make that happen. At 27 years old it's still possible for him this cycle, although odds are stacked against him I would say.

It’s nice to see him make this pass. He would’ve shot it into the bowling alley his last few months with Pacific. If he can get back to playing like he was before his injury I’m sure he’ll find more minutes. He’s got a lot of skill 

Edited by Aird25

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
13 minutes ago, nolando said:

Somebody asked about him in another thread, so I looked up his stats. Looks like he only played TWO minutes over the final 9 matches of the season. Started so promisingly but doesn't look like it worked out...Screenshot_20231119_192912_Chrome.thumb.jpg.96a970df8843c9e373ca6eb07004bcdd.jpgScreenshot_20231119_193045_Chrome.jpg.0f2f64850ba01323749d6260fa3f0fcc.jpg

Screenshot_20231119_192912_Chrome~2.jpg

Screenshot_20231119_193111_Chrome.jpg

Considering he only played 8 matches, his strike rate with 3 goals was pretty good.

18 apperances and 3 goals for the team which finished 5th in Sweden is not too shabby for a player like Bustos.

At 27 years of age, could he build off that and put himself on the radar for the National Team heading into (what we hope will be) Copa America?

If not, it will be a pretty good testament to our depth and the level required. In years past, that would have been call up worthy, if not starter worthy. 

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

18 apperances and 3 goals for the team which finished 5th in Sweden is not too shabby for a player like Bustos.

At 27 years of age, could he build off that and put himself on the radar for the National Team heading into (what we hope will be) Copa America?

If not, it will be a pretty good testament to our depth and the level required. In years past, that would have been call up worthy, if not starter worthy. 

Nope. Not a chance.

3 hours ago, nolando said:

Somebody asked about him in another thread, so I looked up his stats. Looks like he only played TWO minutes over the final 9 matches of the season. Started so promisingly but doesn't look like it worked out...

That's the relevant part for me here.

We'll see what happens with him next season.

He's had a few difficult seasons in a row now, after starting 2020 looking like an MVP before getting injured. I haven't watched any of his games in Sweden but he was definitely squeezing the stick far too tightly in his final season on the island, and he became a bit of a selfish player when things weren't falling his way. He has good technical ability though and I hope he finds his way back to top form. He's a type of player Canada doesn't produce a ton of