Marco Bustos

19 hours ago, Watchmen said:

That would be why the rights are so cheap.  And the market here is "Canadian Soccer fans".  That's what you promote on OneSoccer - an opportunity to watch CMNT/former CPL players abroad.  I wouldn't try to do this with *major* rights (ie, I wouldn't be trying to outbid Sportsnet for the Bundesliga to show Davies), but it might make sense for smaller leagues.

Even if the rights are very cheap, who would watch the games. Friends family and hardcore CMNT supporters - or in other words, an increadibly small market of people who most likely already subscribe to one soccer. I can't see acquiring the rights resulting in enough additional revenue that its a smart business decision. 

10 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Even if the rights are very cheap, who would watch the games. Friends family and hardcore CMNT supporters - or in other words, an increadibly small market of people who most likely already subscribe to one soccer. I can't see acquiring the rights resulting in enough additional revenue that it’s a smart business decision. 

I think the biggest problem for OneSoccer is the lack of original content during the CPL offseason. I’d guess I’m not the only one that switches to Fubo or cancels during the off-season. Adding more CMNT content like a deal with Lille would keep me around 

9 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I think the biggest problem for OneSoccer is the lack of original content during the CPL offseason. I’d guess I’m not the only one that switches to Fubo or cancels during the off-season. Adding more CMNT content like a deal with Lille would keep me around 

Fubo comes with OneSoccer.... Right?

4 minutes ago, QBCS said:

Fubo comes with OneSoccer.... Right?

It comes with OneSoccer's main channel, which is usually fine for me if there aren't overlapping games and if I remember to tivo things that I can't watch live. OneSoccer's subscription gets you more during the CPL season, and you can typically rewatch games you miss pretty quickly. It took me ages to rewatch Canada-Honduras with Fubo because I messed up recording it.

On 4/3/2023 at 9:01 AM, Aird25 said:

I 100% agree, but I just don't think it makes any financial sense. Theres no demand for any leagues with affordable rights and going after top 5 leagues is really ambitious and probably outside one soccers ability. As much as us viewers want a better product, the business model of not having much content outside national and cpl games seems to make the most sense until their subscriber base reaches critical mass. 

25 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Where do some of you find the time to watch all this soccer?

I echo this!

Perhaps it's younger posters? The older I get, the less time I have to watch soccer. Felt like just a few years ago I could watch all 3 Canadian MLS teams play on a given weekend. Now I can barely squeeze in watching the highlights. 

30 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Retirees maybe? I am about 10 years away from being able to be a couch potato watching soccer game after soccer game. Right now no chance. Even then I know I would find it difficult to watch random games from leagues I don't follow closely in countries I have never lived in. Couldn't give a toss about who wins the English Premiership for example so find all the plastic Scousers and Man U fans you run into around the world seriously bizarre. 

2 hours ago, Bigandy said:

I 100% agree, but I just don't think it makes any financial sense. Theres no demand for any leagues with affordable rights and going after top 5 leagues is really ambitious and probably outside one soccers ability. As much as us viewers want a better product, the business model of not having much content outside national and cpl games seems to make the most sense until their subscriber base reaches critical mass. 

Maybe, but it is seems quite a few folks suffer through Lille matches just to see David play. Perhaps I'm an anomaly, but I'd rather watch Loturi vs Johnston, or Bustos vs Cornelius than most top 5 league matches

25 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Maybe, but it is seems quite a few folks suffer through Lille matches just to see David play. Perhaps I'm an anomaly, but I'd rather watch Loturi vs Johnston, or Bustos vs Cornelius than most top 5 league matches

The broadcasting rights for the scottish league is 30 mil euros so 44 mil cad. In order to break even, One soccer would need 440,000 new YEARLY subscribers. I would bet thatOne soccer probably doesnt even have 100,000 subscribers to begin with, let alone attracting 440,000 more. Adding a niche league is not feasible at all. 

36 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Sign me up for this over Man City vs Arsenal, or Real Madrid vs Barcelona. 

4 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Reddit r/soccer does do a demo survey once in a while. In 2020, matches watched on average per week of 2-5 were 62%, 6-10 were 12% and >11 were 3%. Zero watched was 5% and 19% for 1/week.

94% follow the Prem, 59% Bundesliga, 57% La Liga, 51% Serie A & 39% ligue 1. MLS/other US leagues were 19%. CPL/other was 4%. 

66% watched matches by sailing the seas. 50% on legal streams, 46% on paid linear tv, 38% on free tv and 10% by radio.

Majority of posters were under 30, single, American/British and completed/enrolled in post secondary.

Edited by red card

14 minutes ago, red card said:

Reddit r/soccer does do a demo survey once in a while. In 2020, matches watched on average per week of 2-5 were 62%, 6-10 were 12% and >11 were 3%. Zero watched was 5% and 19% for 1/week.

It also depends on how you watch the match.  For me, I record a game and often speed through sections and then replay key parts.  

3 hours ago, Bigandy said:

The broadcasting rights for the scottish league is 30 mil euros so 44 mil cad. In order to break even, One soccer would need 440,000 new YEARLY subscribers. I would bet thatOne soccer probably doesnt even have 100,000 subscribers to begin with, let alone attracting 440,000 more. Adding a niche league is not feasible at all. 

Uh what?

It doesn't cost 44 million CAD to buy Scottish league rights in Canada. That number is probably the worldwide figure.

I haven't followed it in a long, long time, but I used to catch some SPL games on Soccer Saturday back in the early 90's.  It was not an entertaining league to watch back then.  Have they really improved that much since then?

9 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I usually watch between 3-6 am when I can't sleep. You should give insomnia a go. Otherwise, I sometimes have it on in the background while I work. Rarely do I ever actually get to sit down and watch a game live

I enjoy listenoing to games on Audio 

8 hours ago, rkomar said:

I haven't followed it in a long, long time, but I used to catch some SPL games on Soccer Saturday back in the early 90's.  It was not an entertaining league to watch back then.  Have they really improved that much since then?

Probably not enough to sustain interest from people who are not from Scotland (or to a lesser extent Northern Ireland for the Old Firm angle) when they can also watch games from one of the big 5 leagues instead but the skill level and tactics have been improving in recent times after a big investment in 4G facilities over the last decade or so. Beating national teams like Spain won't become the norm but was no fluke either.

13 hours ago, RS said:

Uh what?

It doesn't cost 44 million CAD to buy Scottish league rights in Canada. That number is probably the worldwide figure.

Thats the deal that sky sports just signed a couple years ago. Thats not worldwide but rather domestic and its not for every game. Its only for 60 games. 

If Canada wanted access to the full schedule of games, then they'd have to pay more, minus the discount for being in Canada. Call it half at 22 million. 220,000 new subscribers. Call it 1/4 and thats still 110,000 new subscribers. 

You don't know how much the scottish rights cost in canada and neither do I, so we have to benchmark it across something. Unless the canadian deal is less than 1/100 of the price of the sky sports deal, there is no feasibility. 

14 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Thats the deal that sky sports just signed a couple years ago. Thats not worldwide but rather domestic and its not for every game. Its only for 60 games. 

If Canada wanted access to the full schedule of games, then they'd have to pay more, minus the discount for being in Canada. Call it half at 22 million. 220,000 new subscribers. Call it 1/4 and thats still 110,000 new subscribers. 

You don't know how much the scottish rights cost in canada and neither do I, so we have to benchmark it across something. Unless the canadian deal is less than 1/100 of the price of the sky sports deal, there is no feasibility. 

Sorry dude, but you're WAY overestimating the cost of the Scottish league rights in Canada. 

I don't know the actual cost of the SPFL in Canada, you're correct, but I do know the cost of other leagues' rights due to my line of work and what you're describing is more along the lines of (English) Premier League rights, which would be the most valuable soccer rights in Canada outside of the World Cup.

Even the CFL only gets about $50 million per year from CTV/TSN and the Grey Cup is usually in the top 10 watched sports broadcasts in the country year after year, often breaking into the top 10 of any broadcast of a particular year. What rank do you think even an Old Firm match would get in Canada? Top 500?

32 minutes ago, RS said:

Sorry dude, but you're WAY overestimating the cost of the Scottish league rights in Canada. 

I don't know the actual cost of the SPFL in Canada, you're correct, but I do know the cost of other leagues' rights due to my line of work and what you're describing is more along the lines of (English) Premier League rights, which would be the most valuable soccer rights in Canada outside of the World Cup.

Even the CFL only gets about $50 million per year from CTV/TSN and the Grey Cup is usually in the top 10 watched sports broadcasts in the country year after year, often breaking into the top 10 of any broadcast of a particular year. What rank do you think even an Old Firm match would get in Canada? Top 500?

I think you misunderstood what the logic is. The 44 million isnt a benchmark of what it would cost to broadcast in canada. Its the cost to broadcast 60 games domestically. 

the 44 million cad is the deal that sky sports signed. For a territory like canada, what is a reasonable rate? 50%? 25? 10?  Even if the rights in canada were 10% the cost of the sky sports deal, its still not financially viable.  

Without knowing the actual market value of the SPFL rights in Canada, we have to speculate using the data that is readily available. 

Even at 1% of the domestic costs, one soccer would need 4400 new yearly subscribers to break even (which is not actually breaking even because they would incur all sorts of marketing costs to attract those new 4400 fans.) 

1 minute ago, Bigandy said:

I think you misunderstood what the logic is. The 44 million isnt a benchmark of what it would cost to broadcast in canada. Its the cost to broadcast 60 games domestically. 

the 44 million cad is the deal that sky sports signed. For a territory like canada, what is a reasonable rate? 50%? 25? 10?  Even if the rights in canada were 10% the cost of the sky sports deal, its still not financially viable.  

Without knowing the actual market value of the SPFL rights in Canada, we have to speculate using the data that is readily available. 

Even at 1% of the domestic costs, one soccer would need 4400 new yearly subscribers to break even (which is not actually breaking even because they would incur all sorts of marketing costs to attract those new 4400 fans.) 

I agree that the cost/benefit ratio is likely skewed against an entity like OneSoccer in this case.

13 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I don't know what it would cost to get more matches of national team players on OneSoccer, but I would love if they could.