CNL Play-In for Copa America: Canada vs Trinidad & Tobago - Saturday, March 23, 2024 - Frisco (greater Dallas), Texas

On 11/22/2023 at 12:23 PM, narduch said:

Is it worth setting up a friendly for the Wednesday before this game?

One of Honduras or Costa Rica would make a lot of sense 

Honduras was thinking about a friendly before their crucial game (likely on the Wednesday as you were suggesting @narduch) but abandoned the idea.

They are now looking at the possibility of a friendly afterwards. The possible teams that their coach mentions are Paraguay, Brazil and El Salvador.

https://www.elheraldo.hn/deportes/reinaldo-rueda-islandia-amistoso-miami-costa-rica-copa-america-NC16724900

----

The end of the March window is within 90 days of the start of the tournament, so a friendly match cannot be played within a 150km radius of a Copa America host venue.

9 minutes ago, Goal_Kick said:

What's the reasoning behind this rule?   

Bugs Bunny Money GIF by Looney Tunes

It's a non-competition clause for CONMEBOL.

People won't be willing to shell out as much $$$ if they have already seen [insert team name 🇧🇷 🇦🇷 🇲🇽 🇺🇸] in their city in the last 90 days and paid only a fraction of the price for tickets because it was a friendly match. They want to keep supporter demand and enthusiasm high.

2 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

My team for T and T 

1- Borjan

2 Johnston

3 Layrea 

4 Vitoria 

5 Miller 

6 Fraser 

7 Buchanan 

8 Eustaquio

9 David 

10 Colyn 

11 Shaffenburg 

Davies on the bench .  

I cannot foresee Davies on the bench for a game of this magnitude, unless he is not fully healthy. But that said, what an option to bring off the bench? It worked to great effect against Panama, even though it was a circumstantial decision. 

Part of me is of the opinion that our team is better with Davies coming off the bench, or at least having him coming off the bench is an ace in the hole, or an x factor waiting  in the wings. However you want to say it, Davies is an unpredicatable weapon and those generally serve you well if you're chasing a result. The problem is that he's so valuable that it takes guts to not start him, but nonetheless I think we should be considering it as an option moving forward:

---------Creapeau----------

Johnston--?----? ---Adekugbe

-------Kone--Eustaquio----

Millar------David-----Buchanan

------------Larin-------------

That's a pretty good team with some players in good form, namely Kone, Eustaquio, and Millar. You could make an argument these 3 are having career years. Meanwhile, David and Larin have both broken their goal droughts and Buchanan is having a good season himself is on the verge of a transfer to (likely) Inter Milan. If things play out in this direction we should be looking good going into March. As per usual, the backline is there the uncertaintiy is.

Anyways, to add to my point above, imagine bringing Davies into this team at like the 60th minutes if things are at a stalemate. That's definitely the game breaker you want in your corner. Let him do his thing and just dominate. I think that's how we best want to use Davies, but it has to be the game for it. If we're playing against an Argentina we NEED Davies from the very beginning. This game? I would say it's more/most approriate...

These players (club affliations included) should play some kind of role:

Creapeau (LAFC)

Johnston (Celtic)

Miller (Inter Miami)

Adekugbe (Vancouver)

Eustaquio (Porto)

Kone (Watford)

Buchanan (Inter Milan?)

David (AC Milan?)

Millar (Preston North End)

Larin (Mallorca)

Davies (Bayern Munich)

I know there's a bit of doom and gloom, but there's plenty to be happy and grateful here. And this is the holiday season, let's just count our blessings and maybe Santi Clause will gift us a couple of January Serie A transfers!

Man,  Davies Is being a liability other notion is as left back for Johnston and Layrea as right back 

take note,  if there is an 11 of  Layreas they  will beat 11 Davies only because commitment.  

Davies has demonstrated to be or feel a prima Donna at the WC and after that,   I like the idea of Davies as right midfielder just to cut to curve it ,  I don't see him anywhere near as a 10,  Shaffenburg is a better left midfielder than Davies in my view and Adekugbe Is a better number 3 than him in my opinion .  

The only place I can see him to affect matches on the pitch is as right midfielder ,  but he needs to keep his act together.  In my opinion he needs the bench for a few matches . 

On Millar or Shaffenburg My money is on the latter as left midfielder is a coin toss but Shaffenburg Is the better dribbling thing.  Millar is quick but a bit predictable.  

Buchanan and Shaffenburg are a bit unpredictable on the ball.  

2 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

Man,  Davies Is being a liability other notion is as left back for Johnston and Layrea as right back 

take note,  if there is an 11 of  Layreas they  will beat 11 Davies only because commitment.  

Davies has demonstrated to be or feel a prima Donna at the WC and after that,   I like the idea of Davies as right midfielder just to cut to curve it ,  I don't see him anywhere near as a 10,  Shaffenburg is a better left midfielder than Davies in my view and Adekugbe Is a better number 3 than him in my opinion .  

The only place I can see him to affect matches on the pitch is as right midfielder ,  but he needs to keep his act together.  In my opinion he needs the bench for a few matches . 

On Millar or Shaffenburg My money is on the latter as left midfielder is a coin toss but Shaffenburg Is the better dribbling thing.  Millar is quick but a bit predictable.  

Buchanan and Shaffenburg are a bit unpredictable on the ball.  

it's like you have literally never watched these players play honestly.. and being from Argentina doesn't make u more educated on football just Argentinian.. (same goes for being English or Spanish) for a long time in Canada having an English accent used to mean you knew something about soccer..whether you had ever kicked a ball..

Shaf has had a good season in MLS but saying he is a better dribbler than Millar means you haven't watched ..Shaf plays lb on his strong side Millar is an inverted winger..  different styles for different roles.. )BTW Millar has 2 goals and 3 assists in 17 games and 3 goal involvements in the last 3..)

Davies has to be play... where and how is for the next manager to figure out(their biggest challenge in my opinion) Right midfield?  really? Not sure he has ever played there? And Managers and coaches that are much more educated and qualified to decide where is best to play these players but i'm sure whoever the next coach is will reach out to you for your expert opinion..being that you are from Argentina... lol

LOL I guess I took the bait and should have known better...

20 minutes ago, spitfire said:

it's like you have literally never watched these players play honestly.. and being from Argentina doesn't make u more educated on football just Argentinian.. (same goes for being English or Spanish) for a long time in Canada having an English accent used to mean you knew something about soccer..whether you had ever kicked a ball..

The first four paragraphs of this article do a great summary of this point:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/dec/21/cbs-nbc-soccer-premier-league-champions-league-henry-char

----------Larin-------David-------

Davies----Kone--x--Eustaqiuo----Buchanan

-----Miller----Corneilius-----Johnston

---------------Crepeau----------

For me, not much should and will be changed. The X is the only person who I think is undecided based on the formation we have played...and it could be anyone from Paton, Osorio, Choinierre, Ahmed, or Piette. 

The reality is, it's been 2 years and there hasn't been a prospect that has emerged the way Tajon or Alistair did. Maybe it will happen in the mid 2024.

Lastly I will say, if Davies isn't playing well he should not be exempt from being subbed for someone like Millar. And that should apply to everybody. 

12 minutes ago, Shway said:

For me, not much should and will be changed. The X is the only person who I think is undecided based on the formation we have played...and it could be anyone from Paton, Osorio, Choinierre, Ahmed, or Piette. 

The reality is, it's been 2 years and there hasn't been a prospect that has emerged the way Tajon or Alistair did. Maybe it will happen in the mid 2024.

Lastly I will say, if Davies isn't playing well he should not be exempt from being subbed for someone like Millar. And that should apply to everybody. 

Tbh I think baring any injuries this is most likely the lineup Vs Trinidad..the only ch age may be. 4-4-2 with Richie or Sam lb and push Davies to lm (the x player)

it allows Davies and Tajon  to get further forward and leaves us with a front 2… 

EDIT

it leaves us with no defensive midfield but honestly IMHO I think the best way to beat T and T is to attack attack attaack.. 

Edited by spitfire

8 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

My team for T and T 

1- Borjan

2 Johnston

3 Layrea 

4 Vitoria 

5 Miller 

6 Fraser 

7 Buchanan 

8 Eustaquio

9 David 

10 Colyn 

11 Shaffenburg 

Davies on the bench .  

Crepeau over Borjan, Kone over Fraser, Colyn on the bench, Liam Millar over Shaff, Davies at LB, PLUS a strong bench.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

I always wondered whether Laryea might work in the centre "x" spot.

Would at least provide pace and fight.

2 hours ago, spitfire said:

Shaf has had a good season in MLS but saying he is a better dribbler than Millar means you haven't watched ..Shaf plays lb on his strong side Millar is an inverted winger..  different styles for different roles.. )BTW Millar has 2 goals and 3 assists in 17 games and 3 goal involvements in the last 3..)

Davies has to be play... where and how is for the next manager to figure out(their biggest challenge in my opinion) Right midfield?  really? Not sure he has ever played there? And Managers and coaches that are much more educated and qualified to decide where is best to play these players but i'm sure whoever the next coach is will reach out to you for your expert opinion..being that you are from Argentina... lol

LOL I guess I took the bait and should have known better...

Argentina, spiralling out of control with a saviour lunatic just voted in, is the only country in the world where football is rightly called the opiate of the people.