CNL Play-In for Copa America: Canada vs Trinidad & Tobago - Saturday, March 23, 2024 - Frisco (greater Dallas), Texas

6 hours ago, mrstepp817 said:

Frisco is a really fast growing suburb the cool thing about it aside from the US Soccer HOF being there is the Dallas Cowboys World HQ is there...some good dining in the area as well if you are flying in from the GTA it might be cheaper to fly through Buffalo 

Yeah, I definitely want to check out that facility and entertainment district ("The Star in Frisco")

On 12/13/2023 at 10:38 AM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

T & T's coach Angus Eve is extended until March.

https://www.sportsmax.tv/football/regional/item/135356-eve-receives-contract-extension-to-lead-soca-warriors-in-march-faces-uncertain-future-after

They now have some administrative stability going into that match.

And now, they've extended Angus Eve until the end of 2025.

https://tt.loopnews.com/content/ttfa-extends-eves-contract-31-december-2025

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Shway said:

It's simple we win and we're in. 
Once we're in, whether we have a new coach or it's Biello. What is considered a success, what is a failure, and what is the silver lining? 

Biello will still be coach till Copa America. CSA announced it (yesterday I think).

17 minutes ago, king1010 said:

They announced he would be coach for the March play ins, not Copa America. 

You are right but it also said he's still coach until a new one is hired (who knows how long that will take😊).

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Best case: Quarter-finals

Success: 1 pt or more

Failure: 0-0-3, no goals

Disaster: "We really liked what we saw from Biello and we're making him the full time manager."

I think your disaster scenario requires context. If Biello wins or makes the final then he can have the job.

29 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I think your disaster scenario requires context. If Biello wins or makes the final then he can have the job.

I think Biello is more likely to lead us down the 0-0-3 path.  But I guess the actual worst path might be that they look awful but still get a result of some sort, which convinces the CSA to hire him even as we all watch on in horror.

8 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Best case: Quarter-finals

Success: 1 pt or more

Failure: 0-0-3, no goals

Disaster: "We really liked what we saw from Biello and we're making him the full time manager."

Wow, a lot of people think 1pt is a success. Very interesting.

And we're hoping to not be embarrassed at WC26? 

10 minutes ago, Shway said:

Wow, a lot of people think 1pt is a success. Very interesting.

And we're hoping to not be embarrassed at WC26? 

We are also hoping we improve in the next 2 years, and we should be a top pot team in the World Cup (so instead of playing a team like Argentina, we should play a team around our level from pot 4). For what it's worth, both Peru and Chile (and obviously Argentina) are ranked higher than us by FIFA. So 1 point isn't unreasonable.

But let's make it through March!

36 minutes ago, Kent said:

We are also hoping we improve in the next 2 years, and we should be a top pot team in the World Cup (so instead of playing a team like Argentina, we should play a team around our level from pot 4). For what it's worth, both Peru and Chile (and obviously Argentina) are ranked higher than us by FIFA. So 1 point isn't unreasonable.

But let's make it through March!

Panama is ranked higher than us too, but I expect us to beat them based on the quality we have vs them. 
Same thing goes for Chile and Peru.

I am not an expert on Peru or Chile, but neither seem very scary. Both have struggled as of late and neither seem to be a tough match up in terms of playing style. Both are relatively old and we have a squad full of pace, athleticism, and talent. What I expect they have on us is maturity and knowing how to manage a game. I think in both games we'll look the better side for big stretches, but I don't trust that our guys know how to kill out a game. We've seldom seen it. USA in Hamiltion was the only time we've proven this against a top team, but that was at home and literally years ago now. We'll still be a side in flux and being unsettled might even the playing field. 

I honestly think our games against Peru and Chile could go either way. If I were a betting man I would say we give a good acount of ourselves but fall short and finish 3rd. That seems most likely. We'll walk away once again feeling that we squandered an opportunity on a global stage, yet there'll be storylines to make us feel good enough about ourselves. 

If you ask me, we need to get out of the group here. Is it a failure if things play out as I expect? Not really, moreso it would be what most people, Canadian or neutral, would expect from this program at this time. Moderate success but still waiting for potential to be reached. 

If I get a bit dreamy, I can see things coming together with this team finally growing into their own and getting out of the group stage. From there anything can happen. There is a universe where that happens, I think. I would classify it as massive success and it would be statement and a perception shifting event, regardless of what some of the other concacaf teams do in this tournament. Davies, David, Eustaquio, Buchanan....we have enough high end talent to pull it off. 

Edited by Obinna