The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute

Shway

44 minutes ago, Rivaldo said:

What is typical around the World? Obviously in Trinidad & Tobago Jack Warner got it all, but there must be some precedents.

Article mentions the Canadian players have been in contact with members of the U.S. men’s national team. This is likely behind their demand for a 40% cut. 33 players divided by about C$12.6 million means C$153k per player or US$121k. If they don't get out the group stage, this is a bit above average.

USSoccer payout of 90% to 80% of World Cup monies is an extreme outlier. I'm not sure why they gave everything away.

France paid out 30% to their players for winning in 2018. Germany had no bonus if they don't get past the group stage. Had Germany made the quarters, the payout would have been US$87k; semis would have produced US$145k.

England had no bonus until they reached R16. If they had won, the payout would have been US$269k. Spain had the largest payout if they won at US$950k. Brasil was next highest at US$930k. 

So, 10% is on the low end but 40% with <50% probability of reaching knockout stage is too high.

Edited by red card

This is the 2nd story by this reporter regarding the CanMNT in recent weeks.  I'm not familiar with his work, but I don't recall him in the qualification cycle (apologies if he was covering it).  Wouldn't the players have a closer rapport with someone like KJ, and go to him first?  Or does KJ and the onesoccer team know about this also but are keeping hush due to contractual obligations?

9 minutes ago, cornerkick said:

This is the 2nd story by this reporter regarding the CanMNT in recent weeks.  I'm not familiar with his work, but I don't recall him in the qualification cycle (apologies if he was covering it).  Wouldn't the players have a closer rapport with someone like KJ, and go to him first?  Or does KJ and the onesoccer team know about this also but are keeping hush due to contractual obligations?

OneSoccer will never talk bad about the CSA. They have their own issue that they've swept under the rug.

8 minutes ago, cornerkick said:

Rick Westhead is a really talented report for TSN. He covered the national team a little bit during Quali; however, his bread and butter is the high impact, serious, and controversial news in sports. For example, he broke the Chicago Blackhawks SA news this year as well as some other injustices in sport stories. 

that would be the only reason to go to him first with that kind of info because he is really good at what he does in that regard 

The reality here which can’t be overlooked is that the USMNT can afford that split because they have way more revenue elsewhere and we don’t. We can’t give them 40%, but 20% ish or so is fair. 

The second thing, which should not be overlooked, is the 2 tickets for friends and families and their families paying their own way… CSA needs to do better here. Again they can afford the 4 tickets and to get a second room for players, but 8 and chargers is a stretch. Also the national trainning facility is nice and all for the youth teams but I mean for now it’s now like Vancouver, Montreal and BC don’t offer nice places to train…

2 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

The reality here which can’t be overlooked is that the USMNT can afford that split because they have way more revenue elsewhere and we don’t. We can’t give them 40%, but 20% ish or so is fair. 

The second thing, which should not be overlooked, is the 2 tickets for friends and families and their families paying their own way… CSA needs to do better here. Again they can afford the 4 tickets and to get a second room for players, but 8 and chargers is a stretch. Also the national trainning facility is nice and all for the youth teams but I mean for now it’s now like Vancouver, Montreal and BC don’t offer nice places to train…

The reality is that no federation counts on World Cup prize money for its operational budget and that 40% should be the absolute minimum the players are pushing for. Generally speaking that prize money ends up being bonuses for executives and coaches. Let’s not pretend that the CMNT will be taking money from the YNTs by asking for half of what their USMNT equals get.

It's so tough to accurately judge this because as poorly as I think the CSA has been run, they are running on a bare bones budget. That being said I think they have done a poor job of leveraging what has been a team on the rise for a few years now. It feels like they haven't even done all that well for the Women's side which has a much longer track record of success.

I guess the easiest solution would be some white knight rich individual to provide an empty cheque, but that's a tough ask and would still require strong leadership.

It's a bit of a chicken and egg scenario, but I do think the players are right to flex their leverage and get the CSA to do better. Sometimes you actually have to spend money to improve things, not just tighten the purse strings.

I get that wr have been bare bones for years but they are getting a huge injection of money from World Cup qualification, and new sponsors have been signed and jersey sales will increase as we get closer to World cup. 

I mean why are they making players and their families pay for the travel to and from Qatar? How could you even negotiate anything after that if that's your starting point??

23 minutes ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

Rick Westhead is a really talented report for TSN. He covered the national team a little bit during Quali; however, his bread and butter is the high impact, serious, and controversial news in sports. For example, he broke the Chicago Blackhawks SA news this year as well as some other injustices in sport stories. 

that would be the only reason to go to him first with that kind of info because he is really good at what he does in that regard 

I just want to add that Rick Westhead is really good at what he does. He also isn't just a hockey guy. His work has crossed multiple sports in the past

Honestly this is truly fucking incredible. All the goodwill of our qualification run out the window from the Iran shitshow and now this, not to mention all the "minor" transgressions we put up with along the way. The group of players we have right now, both in the MNT and the WNT, are the best we've ever had and some of the best stories in international football, period. The rest of Canada and the footballing world as a whole were literally ready to embrace Canada's rise to relevancy and behind the scenes of Canada Soccer has effectively said nah fuck that we're going to continue to be a rock bottom organization. What a joke.

50 minutes ago, trosenoff said:

The CanMNT strike just led Sportscentre as breaking news

Its a shame they weren't covering the team properly before this, and not just them but the rest of our media - if they had been, we might have learned about this yesterday. Its incredible to me that the story broke 24 hours after the team failed to show up for a practice, and even then the story has been broken by somebody in Toronto (who now obviously has a pipeline into someone on the team) rather than any of the media present where the team is currently located. I imagine one of the players "leaked" the dispute to Westhead just so that they could get it noticed since nobody seemed to have noticed the lack of the team showing up yesterday.

I mean, I don't see the team or players losing goodwill over this unless they go totally ballistic on this and refuse to play any WC prep matches, thus hurting their own cause. The CSA may have lost goodwill, but its not like anyone was a huge fan of them to begin with - I expect most will back and support the players demands and hope the players get what they want. Not showing up for a practice is a good negotiating tactic to get their point across, the players were probably upset that nobody even noticed this happen for 24 hours as it reduces their leverage.

6 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I mean, I don't see the team or players losing goodwill over this unless they go totally ballistic on this and refuse to play any WC prep matches, thus hurting their own cause. The CSA may have lost goodwill, but its not like anyone was a huge fan of them to begin with - I expect most will back and support the players demands and hope the players get what they want. Not showing up for a practice is a good negotiating tactic to get their point across, the players were probably upset that nobody even noticed this happen for 24 hours as it reduces their leverage.

Yeah, hopefully the players will have the good sense to not refuse to play the actual games, as that would both be bad for them PR wise and generally hurt the brand of them, so essentially hurt the golden goose.

That being said, there is gonna be an effect as it increase the sense of messiness around the whole thing...

• Shway changed the title to The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute