The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute

Shway

10 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Its a shame they weren't covering the team properly before this, and not just them but the rest of our media - if they had been, we might have learned about this yesterday. Its incredible to me that the story broke 24 hours after the team failed to show up for a practice, and even then the story has been broken by somebody in Toronto (who now obviously has a pipeline into someone on the team) rather than any of the media present where the team is currently located. I imagine one of the players "leaked" the dispute to Westhead just so that they could get it noticed since nobody seemed to have noticed the lack of the team showing up yesterday.

It's also possible they leaked it after practicing today deliberately, to avoid questions about if they were also going to hold out today. 

By practicing today they make it clear they are not on strike but have already exercised a job action. 

A mature approach. 

We are clear that the CSA squandered a friendly gate at BC Place of something like 3.5 million (we don't know exactly) before costs, what would have meant at least 2 million in benefits. 20% of the FIFA payout for Qatar and half the annual CSA budget. 

If viewed as a 'labour dispute' it's really no big deal. Honestly, this type of posturing by the players is important because they are at their maximum leverage.  Good for them.  But these disputes get worked out in the end, and we're hardly the first country to go through. At this point the CSA hasn't screwed up, the situation just needs time to resolve itself. 

11 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Is my statement untrue?

No but getting to the WC and getting slaughtered then won't help the game in the country and will actively hurt it. We can't just put a random 18 guys in kit. Team Canada is its players, coach and staff.

Edited by phil03

So the players were apparently part of a small group of entities that pressured the CSA to cancel the Iran game. They did this while knowing they were going to take action to negotiate more compensation duringthis window. So the CSA caved which pushed them to a vulnerable financial situation while the media worked to convince the public that the CSA was a bad guy regarding the friendly with Iran. 

8 minutes ago, phil03 said:

No but getting to the WC and getting slaughtered then won't help the game in the country and will actively hurt it. We can't just put a random 18 guys in kit. Team Canada is its players, coach and staff.

We can put whatever group of Canadians are willing to represent Canada at the World Cup. Everyone else can stay at home and tweet about it

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

The reality here which can’t be overlooked is that the USMNT can afford that split because they have way more revenue elsewhere and we don’t. We can’t give them 40%, but 20% ish or so is fair. 

could be posturing from the players, but maybe their standard appearance fees have stayed the same, while they know that attendances and prices for tickets have increased as a result of “them”.

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

Also the national trainning facility is nice and all for the youth teams but I mean for now it’s now like Vancouver, Montreal and BC don’t offer nice places to train…

This is the biggest waste of money imo.

Especially since we know the woodbine project is being done. Anddddd the fact they want to put it in Vaughan, few minutes down the street from the OSA which could do with an investment with the field space they have around the property. 

To me, that money would be better suited building a facility somewhere in the country that needs it. Instead of building another mediocre, small high school facility in a province that has enough of it. 

If it’s now wowclass or world class I don’t want to see it in the GTA.

This is a shit show that one expects to happen in a minnow nation or an ulta corrupt one. 

Looks like we check both those boxes. 

So sad. I knew that qualifying would not fix the CSA issues, but I did not imagine that they could get worse. 

So embarrassing. No new kit, no tv broadcasts, no new sponsors, no friendlies and now this. Holy fuck.

16 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

So the players were apparently part of a small group of entities that pressured the CSA to cancel the Iran game. They did this while knowing they were going to take action to negotiate more compensation duringthis window. So the CSA caved which pushed them to a vulnerable financial situation while the media worked to convince the public that the CSA was a bad guy regarding the friendly with Iran. 

Underthinking again. And a misrepresentation of the facts. You don't believe in paying folks a fair wage?

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Its a shame they weren't covering the team properly before this, and not just them but the rest of our media - if they had been, we might have learned about this yesterday. Its incredible to me that the story broke 24 hours after the team failed to show up for a practice, and even then the story has been broken by somebody in Toronto (who now obviously has a pipeline into someone on the team) rather than any of the media present where the team is currently located. I imagine one of the players "leaked" the dispute to Westhead just so that they could get it noticed since nobody seemed to have noticed the lack of the team showing up yesterday.

It was noted on twitter yesterday by a few people including a Canadian Press reporter. 

Wheeler at half time said CSA offer was significantly higher than 10%. It also involves a pay equity arrangement with the women players which means the men will get less.

4 minutes ago, red card said:

It was noted on twitter yesterday by a few people including a Canadian Press reporter. 

Wheeler at half time said CSA offer was significantly higher than 10%. It also involves a pay equity arrangement with the women players which means the men will get less.

It’s funny how Wheeler always seem to be a conduit for the CSA

• Shway changed the title to The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute