The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute

Shway

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I have 4 tickets to both game and I won't be going. Fuck this nonsense and the clowns that support it. Like I've said many times, this country will never get ahead in this sport because this country is packed with idiots and you get what you deserve in life

How do I mute this clown? Seriously, I need to know.

42 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

We can put whatever group of Canadians are willing to represent Canada at the World Cup. Everyone else can stay at home and tweet about it

We can do that, sure. It doesn't mean it isn't a terrible idea...

38 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I have 4 tickets to both game and I won't be going. Fuck this nonsense and the clowns that support it. Like I've said many times, this country will never get ahead in this sport because this country is packed with idiots and you get what you deserve in life

Put them on the ticket exchange or Facebook as “FREE TICKETS” since you you’re about to waste them. Maybe reach out to your clubs youth team or something. 

1 hour ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

I don’t know and probably in a minority and I know what the US did, but why would the men qualifying result in splitting their compensation 50/50 with the women?  I am all for growing the women’s game but I doubt the money they got for qualifying for all those world cups was split with the men over the years and frankly it shouldn’t have been. It should be invested in their own game. 

4 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Didnt the Ghanian player get 3mil in cash from their federation before playing...over 100k each.  That must have been around 30% of the total fee eh??  

Ya 3 million on the plane

Edited by SpecialK

30 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

So according to this Article- French players got 30% of the prize money from the last World Cup 

https://money.com/france-just-won-the-world-cup-heres-how-much-their-players-get/

On top of their qualifying bonus? On top of their already established regular game appearance fees.

The thing is every nation has these debates  at the table we just thought we were immune to it.

And tbh I don’t even think those nations are comparable. What did Panama, Costa Rica, and Peru player’s get at Russia? 

1 hour ago, An Observer said:

I don’t know and probably in a minority and I know what the US did, but why would the men qualifying result in splitting their compensation 50/50 with the women?  I am all for growing the women’s game but I doubt the money they got for qualifying for all those world cups was split with the men over the years and frankly it shouldn’t have been. It should be invested in their own game. 

What USA did will be coming to Canada.  It has to.  CSA knows it.  They didn’t get ahead of it and now are behind the 8-ball. 
2 tickets is nonsense but it’s just a bargaining position. So are flights for family etc. But what we are seeing here is pretty much as one soccer reports. Leveraging from players versus CSA figuring out equity with women.  

7 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

The CSA also knows that if they pay 40% then the women will make a claim for the equivalent $ figure just as the US women did.  Put the two together and poof, nearly all of the money is gone.

You have misunderstood the US deal. They agreed that all prize money would be pooled from both teams and then divided up equally. So if the US men earn $20M and the US women earn $5m (which is more then they actually got for winning the 2019 WC) then the total prize pool would be 40% of $25M to be split between all the players on both teams evenly.

8 minutes ago, ted said:

You have misunderstood the US deal. They agreed that all prize money would be pooled from both teams and then divided up equally. So if the US men earn $20M and the US women earn $5m (which is more then they actually got for winning the 2019 WC) then the total prize pool would be 40% of $25M to be split between all the players on both teams evenly.

No, you just missed the point.  The initial report was the Canadian men specifically want 40% for themselves alone without regard to the women.  My point was that agreeing to 40% going to the men means you'll have to match that for the women, so the true cost will end up being 80%..  

I'm fully aware of the US deal being pooled.  Their collective prize payout is 90% so it works out to 45% each.  The US soccer federation generates $60M/year in revenue, two thirds of it from genuine commercial revenue.  They can afford to give away the farm on prize money. 

21 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

No, you just missed the point. 

Sorry, you seem to have missed my point. There is no way that the Canadian players are stupid enough to try anything that ridiculous. The article says they have been in contact with the US players so they know what the deal is: 40% (according to the news reports I have read. )

Let's be serious, the French only get 30%, so at best that is what they will get plus some expenses for family to attend the tournament.

2 minutes ago, ted said:

Sorry, you seem to have missed my point. There is no way that the Canadian players are stupid enough to try anything that ridiculous. The article says they have been in contact with the US players so they know what the deal is: 40% (according to the news reports I have read. )

Let's be serious, the French only get 30%, so at best that is what they will get plus some expenses for family to attend the tournament.

Read the Guardian link above.  The collective deal is 90% for the US

6 hours ago, red card said:

It was noted on twitter yesterday by a few people including a Canadian Press reporter. 

Wheeler at half time said CSA offer was significantly higher than 10%. It also involves a pay equity arrangement with the women players which means the men will get less.

Disband women's teams that demand equal pay when they can't draw flys to their games.

• Shway changed the title to The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute