The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute

Shway

1 minute ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Meanwhile, Lothar Matthaus says Davies is a shadow of his former self. (I'll see if I can find the link to the article.)

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2024/4/1/24117769/lothar-matthaus-bayern-munich-alphonso-davies-tuchel-real-madrid-transfer-rumors-kane-sane-muller

I have to agree with him about Davies' play with them.

Looked better playing wingback with us, to be honest.

2 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2024/4/1/24117769/lothar-matthaus-bayern-munich-alphonso-davies-tuchel-real-madrid-transfer-rumors-kane-sane-muller

I have to agree with him about Davies' play with them.

Looked better playing wingback with us, to be honest.

First thing that gets me, always, are these ex-Bayern players yapping constantly, they are a real cancer. The just talk shit, and most of them are not coaching, not doing anything, just sitting on their perches with their darting hawk-eyes.

Then, if you look at the GA, Bayern could be on track to match last year's performance in goals against, but are quite a bit further off in goals scored. So the shadows at Bayern hang over the attack, not the defense. Ignoring that Bayern's worst stretch this season coincides exactly with Davies' injury spell. He was injured with the knee strain early February, then Bayern lost three straight, to Leverkusen, Lazio and Bochum, without Davies, beat Leipzig, then drew Freiburg. 4 of 12 points in the league, then he comes back in early March that game he hit his mouth, they won 8-1. They lost the league by losing to Leverkusen, and when he was injured.

15 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

First thing that gets me, always, are these ex-Bayern players yapping constantly, they are a real cancer. The just talk shit, and most of them are not coaching, not doing anything, just sitting on their perches with their darting hawk-eyes.

Then, if you look at the GA, Bayern could be on track to match last year's performance in goals against, but are quite a bit further off in goals scored. So the shadows at Bayern hang over the attack, not the defense. Ignoring that Bayern's worst stretch this season coincides exactly with Davies' injury spell. He was injured with the knee strain early February, then Bayern lost three straight, to Leverkusen, Lazio and Bochum, without Davies, beat Leipzig, then drew Freiburg. 4 of 12 points in the league, then he comes back in early March that game he hit his mouth, they won 8-1. They lost the league by losing to Leverkusen, and when he was injured.

You don't like Bayern past and present, so fair enough, and Matthaeus is probably easing the blow to the fans  of losing a player they were at least partially going to build the future around 8 months ago.

All that said, he has not looked up to the  standards he has set.  The effort was visibly much higher with Canada. In my view.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Just to give everyone a heads up, Mattheus does not blame either the CSA or the CSB for Davies alleged drop in form (just in case anyone else, like me, came to page 180 of this thread, saw the reference to the article and assumed it had something to do with the players dispute with the CSA given what thread this news has been posted in).

46 minutes ago, narduch said:

Sort of tangentially related, but CSB and Mediapro (One Soccer) seem to have resolved their differences.

As reported by Neil Davidson of the CP

Here is the article:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/canadian-soccer-business-media-partner-dispute-resolution-1.7162294?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar

This is a positive news story on the business side of soccer, so I am shocked that the news wasn't broken by Rick Westhead. Actually, I think I'm going to go past feeling "shocked" and resort to feeling "astonished" instead.

We don't know how positive this is for CSB yet. It's certainly better than their season not having any coverage at all but there is no word so far on whether there are going to be any rights fees being paid by Mediapro again or whether at the other extreme this is now simply a case of CSB paying Mediapro/Onesoccer to do the production for them.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/canadian-soccer-business-media-partner-dispute-resolution-1.7162294?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar

... "OneSoccer will remain the home of Canadian soccer ... Mediapro and Canadian Soccer Business maintain our commitment to supporting the growth of soccer in Canada, and will communicate further details of our finalized agreement as they become available."  ...

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Things are about to get interesting on the gender equity front where the handling of CMNT and CWNT revenue streams by CSB and wider national team pay issues are concerned given this points strongly towards a 2025 launch for Project 8:

Assuming all six get accepted OK it also means that CSB/CanPL will no longer have a majority among the pro clubs with direct CSA sanctioning terms given the League Ones are sanctioned through provincial associations. That may have implications on vote outcomes at CSA AGMs.

This was interesting from the Globe and Mail.

So, when OneSoccer couldn’t get carriage on the major cable systems, except for Telus, it meant lower potential sponsorship revenue for Canadian Soccer Business – and Canada Soccer itself, which, despite reports to the contrary, still owns the rights to several categories of commercial sponsorships.

Why did it take a foreign company to broadcast Canadian soccer?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/article-why-did-it-take-a-foreign-company-to-broadcast-canadian-soccer/

18 hours ago, Ansem said:

This was interesting from the Globe and Mail.

So, when OneSoccer couldn’t get carriage on the major cable systems, except for Telus, it meant lower potential sponsorship revenue for Canadian Soccer Business – and Canada Soccer itself, which, despite reports to the contrary, still owns the rights to several categories of commercial sponsorships.

Why did it take a foreign company to broadcast Canadian soccer?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/article-why-did-it-take-a-foreign-company-to-broadcast-canadian-soccer/

What are the main points? Can't read article. Thanks.

Edited by MtlMario

I know I'm biased, having followed Highlanders for years, but this is the most damning news I've seen about CSB yet, if it's all true. Highlanders have operated for 15 years in various leagues, but it sounds like they aren't willing to play ball with CSB.

https://bcsoccernews.wixsite.com/bc-soccer-news/post/highlanders-drop-l1bc

Edited by Aird25

11 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I know I'm biased, having followed Highlanders for years, but this is the most damning news I've seen about CSB yet, if it's all true. Highlanders have operated for 15 years in various leagues, but it sounds like they aren't willing to play ball with CSB.

The CSB potentially blocking sponsorships of L1BC clubs is a bit of an issue, if true.

15 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Very disappointing to see.  I am hoping to read more details about the situation.

9 hours ago, Watchmen said:

The CSB potentially blocking sponsorships of L1BC clubs is a bit of an issue, if true.

The article used the wrong sponsor in Carlsberg since they're not involved with League 1s. So, beer sponsors aren't an issue but as Northern Tribune reported, there were issues with BMO's sponsoring of TFC 2 since CIBC is a L1O sponsor. Otherwise, given L1 has a limited sponsor lineup, it's not a "key example". 

Ideally, as seen in Ontario, there should be lower leagues with pro/rel for clubs that can't meet the higher financial/operating standards required by CSB.

I may not know all the repercussions, but the part about no territorial rights sounds good to me. The part about sponsorships sounds stupid and harmful. If Starbucks want's to give a team millions of dollars to put their name on the jersey, we shouldn't turn that money away just because Tim Horton's puts their name on Forge's jersey.

On 4/9/2024 at 12:25 AM, Aird25 said:

It's terrible news for the highlanders. 

Having said that, isn't a structured pyramid exactly what we need. I'd imagine the highlanders get replaced soon and its better for the long term even if a fantastic organization is the casualty.... im not sure..

As much as I agree part of the funding agreement with Tim's would be in the exclusivity in the sponsorship. VW has something similar, I would imagine, which would prevent someone else from having a different car brand sponsor. The value in the national agreements is partially inherent on the exclusivity aspect.  Whether those national CPL deals should affect local L1 deals is a different discussion point - ECFC had a local Benz dealership on their shirts...

I'm really interested to see how pro/rel will affect L1O and clubs entering in the coming years. The top division should, in theory, be very competitive with a lot of motivated clubs. The weaker sides will be weaned out in due time.

Edited by Mihairokov

On 4/9/2024 at 12:37 PM, Watchmen said:

I don't know, sounds fishy to me.

I can see CSB having sponsorship conditions being a little more complicated that what some of these lower tier organizations may be used to.   Doesn't mean those conditions are a bad idea.

Don't see CSB excluding any revenue avenues, at any level, without strong cause.  The brewery sponsorship mentioned maybe being a good example of the conditions being more pliable than rigid, when it makes sense and no parties are offended.

The territorial rights...ug.  Imagine that is a bitter pill.

Looking at the Highlanders press release.

http://www.highlandersfc.ca/news/highlanders-announcement

After serious deliberation and with much regret, Victoria Highlanders has decided it will not operate a Women’s and Men’s team in League1BC. Despite our best efforts over the past 2-months we have been unable to reach an agreement with the new owners of League1BC that would allow us to carry on the Victoria Highlanders and still maintain our mission of providing a volunteer driven, not-for-profit community team for women and men looking to take their next step in soccer.

and the reporting in the local media.

https://www.timescolonist.com/sports/highlanders-cease-soccer-operations-in-league1-bc-8577812

A source, who wished to remain unidentified, told the Times Colonist the new League1 B.C. deal would have cost the Highlanders up to $15,000 more to operate in 2024 and that the club was not willing to take on that added financial burden.

Seems the issues have nothing to do with beer (they had several alcohol-related sponsors) but the seeming changes that would allow the clubs in L1BC to be more professionalized. The Highlanders wanted to stick with the old system and decided to leave when they didn't get their way.

The timing of doing it before the VCup also seems rather suspicious.

Edited by DoyleG

6 hours ago, Cheeta said:

...The territorial rights...ug.  Imagine that is a bitter pill.

Especially when a Pacific U-23 team that would steal their thunder on recruiting locally is likely high on the agenda for bringing that in. Seemed a bit odd that the Highlanders (or even Harbourside in Nanaimo for that matter) were not the L1BC club that Pacific were using to send players down to for playing time last summer.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot