The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute

Shway

Just now, Big_M said:

Its now looking even worse for the players if this report of Bontis falling to his knees and begging them multiple times is true...

Typical management consultant tactics….begging

Seriously all this is now in the media but Amy idea why no one sorted this shit out between March and June ?  Especially after the US soccer deal I would have expected a very quick reaction.  Instead. Crickets

6 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Agreed.  And I would add one more:   when onesoccer (CSB) sold their rights to Rogers, how much was that deal worth? and did any of that money go to the CSA?  If not why?

I bet the CSA got NOTHING! Why because they got paid already upfront by the CSB when they signed that 10 year deal. That’s why the CSA doesn’t want to open the books and the contracts. That’s the whole fight right here. 

Edited by SpecialK

Just now, Ruud said:

Seriously all this is now in the media but Amy idea why no one sorted this shit out between March and June ?  Especially after the US soccer deal I would have expected a very quick reaction.  Instead. Crickets

For all that Bontis had to say about wanting to meet face to face, he didn't make himself available to meet face to face.  He said that now is the first time leadership and the team were in the same place.  (This might be since March, or it may have been longer I didn't get that)

2 minutes ago, RJB said:

For all that Bontis had to say about wanting to meet face to face, he didn't make himself available to meet face to face.  He said that now is the first time leadership and the team were in the same place.  (This might be since March, or it may have been longer I didn't get that)

See that’s just bullshit. If he expects us to believe that there was no opportunity to get the team captains/representatives on a zoom call and start negotiations. Like come on here ! 

2 minutes ago, RJB said:

The US deal is a game changer and Canadian women were bound to ask for similar.  Both sides should have known this. 
60% split 30 30 from all fifa revenues is a starting point. US maybe can afford more but our deal with csb seems to have hindered other revenue sources 

3 minutes ago, Ruud said:

Didn’t you hear, you can only negotiate when every single person involved in the negotiations is in the same room. First rule of negotiation. 

And then you have dance and drop to your knees after to convince the other party of your point. 

Zoom, Email, conference calls? Those are for people who aren’t negotiating experts like Bontis.

45 minutes ago, RJB said:

Another outstanding journalist the CSA should not want on their case.  I love the scathing criticism of the CSA leadership near the end of the article.  An anti-union ego-maniac should not be the head of a national sports association.  If he really cared about the overall game of soccer in this country and not lining his pockets and those of his CSB buds, then he would have been negotiating months ago and not ignoring the calls of the players.  And if it had reached this point after good faith negotiation, he would have resigned. Instead he lies, evades questions and acts like a petulant brat at a presser. Bontis is in it for himself.

Statement from the Women pointing out the part of the mens' statement that all the idiots in the media couldn't grasp other than Grant Wahl.  The second last paragraph of the first page of the men's letter used deceptive language to disguise the fact they want the prize pools kept apart.

This is NOT the equitable statement all the idiots on twitter think it is.  

image.png.650bd9e6e80989220d02100bc1cf3272.png

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

6 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

If he really cared about the overall game of soccer in this country and not lining his pockets and those of his CSB buds,

It's not like CSB is just cashing in... People are truly misunderstanding what their mandate is.

Yes, they seem to take everything after paying the $3M to the CSA, but...

They:

-launch of CPL 

-revamp D3 with Canada League 1 (purchase of L1O)

-Plans for a women's pro league

-plans for D2+pro/rel

-Increase of the pool of players with pro minutes

-Usports involved

-development of new infrastructure 

-developpment of coaches, referees, executives, medias jobs, health jobs, admin, etc...

Tell me status quo with 3 clubs in MLS who spent years not playing Canadians is a better alternative. 

In life there's no perfect deals but in 2017/2018, when this is presented to you after missing out Russia 2018, what's your answer?

43 minutes ago, RJB said:

“This is FIFA, this is soccer, this is Victor,” said one source deeply familiar with Canada Soccer. “It goes way back.”

https://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/opinion/2022/06/05/canada-soccer-and-its-players-were-supposed-to-be-preparing-for-the-world-cup-they-werent-prepared-for-this.html

Thanks @narduch for posting this in another thread

Yup.   That story covers it very well.  A must read.

It also answers the question i have been wondering for a couple of years now:   how could CPL survive with attendances that are that crappy,  playing in facilities that are that lousy, with ownership groups with no money and on budget (to play for talent) of barely a half a million dollars.  we now know the answer.  CSA is backing them.

Problem is, Its not the role of national sports association, to fund leagues or clubs.  You are supposed to be able to stand on your own. Or get out of business.

PS.:  I think the women's teams should be even more angered by this news

Edited by Free kick

I don't understand what Brunt means when he says there was no names attached to the CSA response to the players on their refusal to play Panama.....was there a press release put out in addition to the press conference? If so, I haven't seen it and can't find it, the CSA twitter just linked to the video of the press conference.

6 minutes ago, Ansem said:

It's not like CSB is just cashing in... People are truly misunderstanding what their mandate is.

Yes, they seem to take everything after paying the $3M to the CSA, but...

They:

-launch of CPL 

-revamp D3 with Canada League 1 (purchase of L1O)

-Plans for a women's pro league

-plans for D2+pro/rel

-Increase of the pool of players with pro minutes

-Usports involved

-development of new infrastructure 

-developpment of coaches, referees, executives, medias jobs, health jobs, admin, etc...

Tell me status quo with 3 clubs in MLS who spent years not playing Canadians is a better alternative. 

In life there's no perfect deals but in 2017/2018, when this is presented to you after missing out Russia 2018, what's your answer?

You clearly don’t understand the The issue here. Who is really in control of soccer in our country? Is it the president of the CSA or Scott Mitchell? The players want to know what the hell is really going on here. What’s in the contract. For example when one soccer sold the rights to Rogers who got the money? If I was a player or a reporter, my question would be Who do we negotiate with the CSA or should we be talking to the person with the real power Scott Mitchell and Bob Young. 

5 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

You clearly don’t understand the The issue here. Who is really in control of soccer in our country? Is it the president of the CSA or Scott Mitchell? The players want to know what the hell is really going on here. What’s in the contract. For example when one soccer sold the rights to Rogers who got the money? If I was a player or a reporter, my question would be Who do we negotiate with the CSA or should we be talking to the person with the real power Scott Mitchell and Bob Young. 

Thank you!  I would like to know that as well.   

5 minutes ago, Colonel Green said:

Says who?

In what world do you live in?   can you name me one example anywhere in the world where a "not for profit" national sports organization funds supposedly professional leagues and by extension pro clubs?   These are entities whose funds come from (in part) public dollars and/or registration fees

Edited by Free kick

18 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Yup.   That story covers it very well.  A must read.

It also answers the question i have been wondering for a couple of years now:   how could CPL survive with attendances that are that crappy,  playing in facilities that are that lousy, with ownership groups with no money and on budget (to play for talent) of barely a half a million dollars.  we now know the answer.  CSA is backing them.

Problem is, Its not the role of national sports association, to fund leagues or clubs.  You are supposed to be able to stand on your own. Or get out of business.

I think you forgot the MediaPro deal which was like 10mil/year for 10 years. A huge part of that is propping up the CPL (I think?) separate from the CSB (I think?)

2 minutes ago, Free kick said:

In what world do you live in?   can you name me one example anywhere in the world where a "not for profit" national sports organization funds supposedly professional leagues and by extension pro clubs?   These are entities whose funds come from (in part) public dollars and/or registration fees

I don't claim to be an expert on every other country's sports structure.

But the CSA wants Canada to have a domestic soccer league. People around here, in fact, were regularly demanding that the CSA create such a league (indeed, the players, in this letter, are also demanding that they do so for the women). When you want something you often have to pay for the privilege.

It may be the case that in most other countries (certainly other rich countries) a national sports organization doesn't have to fund the create of a professional soccer league because businesses will do that themselves because of enticing profits. The history of soccer in Canada would perhaps offer some indicators as to why those enticements weren't enough.

21 minutes ago, Free kick said:

If the deal with CSB does indeed call for the creation of a women's pro league as appears to be the case, then I'm not sure that they will be angered by this. They have been clamoring for such a league and criticizing the CSA for not getting anything off the ground.

It's one of the other disconnects to the player's demands - the creation of a domestic women's league (something which isn't going to happen between now and June 9th) in the same breath as a criticism of the agreement which is propping up the men's domestic league and is very likely to do the same for any women's league (as I don't see investors lining up). Still, that simply may be because they don't seem to know what CSB is or what the agreement is, which I guess they will get full transparency on shortly (if they haven't already in the past few hours since CSB made their statement saying they'd be happy to share it).

8 minutes ago, Free kick said:

this is how mls survived with sum

they used the money from usmnt and gold cup to funnel money into mls who was a partner in sum

which is what csb is trying to do in Canada

1 hour ago, ddoouugg said:

this is how mls survived with sum

No its not.   That's just wish full thinking.   at no point in its history were MLS attendances ever at the level of the CPL.  Yes, there were early struggles and there were owners who dropped out early on.     

Edit.:  I will acknowledge that SUM served as a good enticement to attract perspective investors.  that's because an investment in MLS gave you an equal partnership in Soccer United Marketing, which controlled all marketing rights to Concacaf.  That's lucrative.   Plus that busines to business relationship.

Edited by Free kick

• Shway changed the title to The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute