Should Canada change its jersey look for Qatar?

TGAA_Star

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, sstackho said:

I recall being surprised to stumble upon this jersey at Canadian Tire back around 2012, so I bought it.  

image.png.67210898593b69d26665f86980eac1e0.png

It's still my most comfortable Canada shirt to wear.  

I think I bought mine at Evangelista sports.

And yes its my favourite of all time too

57 minutes ago, sstackho said:

I recall being surprised to stumble upon this jersey at Canadian Tire back around 2012, so I bought it.  

image.png.67210898593b69d26665f86980eac1e0.png

It's still my most comfortable Canada shirt to wear.  

I own this own as well, the material is great. I’m looking for the numbering/lettering from this era (a few other older ones) to get that shirt customized. If anyone has a lead on that, lmk 

24 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Unpopular opinion but I do not like our black kit. It's literally a black shirt. It's lazy.

They are all lazy. Its either a plain white, red or black shirt. They could not have made an easier kit. 

That's what pisses me off the most. Id be more ok with this if the kit had some designs on it like the women's kit.

Edited by Vasi

On 9/27/2022 at 7:32 AM, David Pinto said:

Make the kit as main stream as a jays/raptors/NHL teams jersey and then build. 

NT soccer shirts are ubiquitous at major sporting events around the world.  Anybody watching Nadal vs Djokovic can see plenty of fans wearing Spanish and Serbian shirts in the crowd, for instance.  

It's a blown marketing opportunity by the decision makers involved here.

12 hours ago, VinceA said:

Unpopular opinion but I do not like our black kit. It's literally a black shirt. It's lazy.

I agree yet I disagree wholeheartedly. It's become iconic IMO. Both USA away and home matches, and Mexico home, absolutely massive results in that black kit...Adekugbe in the snow, 4 absolutely massive Cyle Larin goals in that shirt. Hell, it even was in GQ Magazine! After the dust settles post World Cup, we are going to look back fondly on this shirt. I hope all black becomes a tradition for us. 

https://www.gq.com/gallery/best-new-menswear-items-to-buy-11-19-21

24 minutes ago, ESG Shawn said:

I agree yet I disagree wholeheartedly. It's become iconic IMO. Both USA away and home matches, and Mexico home, absolutely massive results in that black kit...Adekugbe in the snow, 4 absolutely massive Cyle Larin goals in that shirt. Hell, it even was in GQ Magazine! After the dust settles post World Cup, we are going to look back fondly on this shirt. I hope all black becomes a tradition for us. 

https://www.gq.com/gallery/best-new-menswear-items-to-buy-11-19-21

I like the idea of Canada, men and women, always playing in all-red, all-white, or all-black. There's still scope to add bits of texture or detail through the material, but I'd even say go easy on the trim - hints of white on the reds, hints of red on the whites, and hints of red and white on the blacks, but nothing overly elaborate. 

On 9/15/2022 at 9:22 PM, jonovision said:

^ Exactly. Much ado about nothing.

And if you're not rocking up into Al Rayyan Stadium with a vintage "No Sex 'til the Hex" Canada t-shirt, what are you even doing?

Well there definitely won’t be any sex cause:

1. Canada never made it to the Hex but rather the Octagonal 😜; and

2. It’s in Qatar.

Probably typical of this bizarro WC, happening in the desert, in Nov/Dec. 

About the kit issue being much to do about nothing, I disagree, it’s a major snub from a yank company who probably are bitter we topped the group and is disrespectful to the players and their accomplishment. Getting a new kit to commemorate the event is a big deal. You wouldn’t just wear the same old clothes to a prestigious gala event you got invited to. Knowing the marketing track record of the CSA it wouldn’t surprise me if they dropped the ball yet again on a golden marketing opportunity to boost sales and the popularity of the sport which in some ways is typical of our country - when there’s a demand for something we often find a way to botch it or coque block ourselves.

Nike needs to get pulled. We should just stick with local and have Roots or Hudson Bay design our kit from now on to have something original. Nike are not inspiring or creative anyways. 

2 minutes ago, Moldy9 said:

2. It’s in Qatar.

About the kit issue being much to do about nothing, I disagree, it’s a major snub from a yank company who probably are bitter we topped the group and is disrespectful to the players and their accomplishment. Getting a new kit to commemorate the event is a big deal. You wouldn’t just wear the same old clothes to a prestigious gala event you got invited to. Knowing the marketing track record of the CSA it wouldn’t surprise me if they dropped the ball yet again on a golden marketing opportunity to boost sales and the popularity of the sport which in some ways is typical of our country - when there’s a demand for something we often find a way to botch it or coque block ourselves.

Nike needs to get pulled. We should just stick with local and have Roots or Hudson Bay design our kit from now on to have something original. Nike are not inspiring or creative anyways. 

Getting a shirt made up for my Wife "No Cock till the Oct". Doubt I would honour that however.

On 9/24/2022 at 9:57 PM, Kent said:

Or Macron. I know they wouldn't have been dealing with manufacturing the kind of numbers as would be expected for a Canada World Cup jersey, but they don't seem to be asking for 18 months of lead up time to make jerseys for the CPL teams, and I think they've done a good job with CPL jerseys (though fashion is the furthest thing from my expertise).

Yeah Macron sure but those other countries like Adidas, Puma or New Balance would've given Canada new kits

21 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

2. It’s in Qatar.

I agree. I have been saying for years that we should have Roots or another Canadian company supply us our kits but I guess Nike gave us the big (or bigger) bucks. That's another question I'd like to ask the CSA on who were the other bidders.

Edited by MtlMario

On 9/28/2022 at 6:25 PM, kacbru said:

Hummel has previously been a kit sponsor of a Qatari club. 

CEO's answer to why this happened can also apply to Qatar: We’re for sure not perfect. We are in a process, which really kicked off when Allan (Vad Nielsen) came as partner and CEO five years ago. And so it’s an ongoing process.

On 10/3/2022 at 12:17 AM, TGAA_Star said:

Roots or another Canadian company I get the sentiment but under Adidas, Puma and or New Balance...equals much bigger bucks 

Those companies may have sacks of cash lying around, but they use them to sign Brazil, England and Germany.  Adidas and Puma have been fighting since Rudi told Adi to piss off in the 40's, but they're not going to be arguing over who gets to sign Canada.  

6 hours ago, vancanman said:

Those companies may have sacks of cash lying around, but they use them to sign Brazil, England and Germany.  Adidas and Puma have been fighting since Rudi told Adi to piss off in the 40's, but they're not going to be arguing over who gets to sign Canada.  

Good point