Should Canada change its jersey look for Qatar?

TGAA_Star

10 hours ago, pod818 said:

Macron seems to represent Canada very well. Their jerseys are seen throughout the CPL and ligue one Ontario. Also see it on the rugby Canada side. I think they would do a good job with a national jersey and we wouldn’t be some afterthought, like with Nike

I read somewhere when Nike first signed on that Macron wanted to be the Kit supplier but the CSA went with what was perceived to be the "sexier" option at the time.

On 4/22/2022 at 9:57 AM, TOcanadafan said:

This is the unfortunate reality.  We’ll either get a very generic ‘new’ kit or have to use the current one.  Canada wasn’t getting wider attention before 6 months ago, so we were probably very low on Nike’s priority list.  The one thing that should have helped us by going with a sportswear giant was product availability and they completely fucked up.  If it wasn’t so close to the World Cup, I’d say give Nike the finger and take our business elsewhere.  After this jersey cycle, we should leave on principle. Now that we’re guaranteed to be in this and the next World Cup we should definitely shop around and align with a company that will give us attention. Canadians buy a lot of shit so we’ll be in high demand.

Based on the supplier issue and the fact we won't have a World Cup exclusive kit like everybody else, the CSA should consider this grounds for termination and break the contract. 

Edited by Macksam

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Based on the supplier issue and the fact we won't have a World Cup exclusive kit like everybody else, the CSA should consider this ground for termination and break the contract. 

Nike pays the FA £400M to be England's official kit supplier. Obviously Canada is not nearly at this level, but with a home World Cup approaching and the hope for some success on the pitch and a significant rise in global prominence, pissing off one of very few sports apparel companies capable of throwing around that kind of money is probably unwise.

49 minutes ago, canadave said:

Nike pays the FA £400M to be England's official kit supplier. Obviously Canada is not nearly at this level, but with a home World Cup approaching and the hope for some success on the pitch and a significant rise in global prominence, pissing off one of very few sports apparel companies capable of throwing around that kind of money is probably unwise.

The key phrase is, "one of". In a business like this, with lots of competition, getting out of the contract and moving to another company is simply par for the course. If NIKE wants to be associated with the team that is generating buzz already for the World Cup they need to provide a bespoke kit.

Of course I don't understand why people are still panicking and declaring the whole thing done. The resources that NIKE has, as you rightly point out, are huge. Until the actual unveiling of the Canada Kit for Qatar - whatever it may be - I will remain hopeful that, "one of very few sports apparel companies capable of throwing around that kind of money" will come though for us.

2 hours ago, Macksam said:

Based on the supplier issue and the fact we won't have a World Cup exclusive kit like everybody else, the CSA should consider this ground for termination and break the contract. 

A lot of people are making this assumption, but Nike and Adidas have a long history of outfitting their teams in stock uniforms with minor tweaks for each country.

There are exceptions, of course, but I’d expect most teams outfitted by those big countries to look very similar to one another.

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Looks like the US are getting the same template

Have a look at some of the replies to the tweet, where ‘regular’ people propose their own designs… almost all of which are better than that drab re-do.  I’m tired of these mega corps putting in no effort and turning out boring and lousy kits.  Canada would have been wise to cancel their deal with Nike when they messed up production and partnered with a Canadian company and had a contest for a new shirt design.  

• 4 weeks later...

I'm interested in buying a Canada jersey, but don't want to buy the current jersey if they're just going to get a new one for the World Cup - I want the new one if there is one.  

Does anyone have any inside knowledge as to if we're getting a new jersey?  When would that be?

7 minutes ago, RJB said:

I'm interested in buying a Canada jersey, but don't want to buy the current jersey if they're just going to get a new one for the World Cup - I want the new one if there is one.  

Does anyone have any inside knowledge as to if we're getting a new jersey?  When would that be?

TLDR…but you should read the other posts. 

Basically it’s highly possible that the jersey they are currently wearing is THEE World Cup jersey, and we won’t see another till next year.

13 hours ago, Shway said:

TLDR…but you should read the other posts. 

Basically it’s highly possible (if you believe that NIKE is incompetant) that the jersey they are currently wearing is THE World Cup jersey, and we won’t see another till next year.

Fixed it for you. ;)

NYT article on Nigeria's agony of not making the World Cup provides some more colour on the football kit industry dynamics.

The second thought of Nigeria's football Fed president after being eliminated from WCQ was: “Oh what have we done,” he said, “to Nike.”

Designing and manufacturing World Cup jerseys is not a short process, either; it typically takes about two years before the products appear in stores (Bontis said 18 months).

3 million pre-orders for Nigerian jerseys in 2018. Sold out online in 3 minutes. 5 million expected to sold in 2022 before Nigeria got knocked out. The jersey will still come out in September.

Nigeria got 8% on each jersey sale. US$1 million bonus from Nike for making World Cup.

Nigerian Fed annual revenues are about $US20 million (Canada Soccer generated about US$27 million in 2021 & US$11 million in 2020). Jersey sales would have doubled Nigerian Fed's revenue if in World Cup this year. Top South American & European Feds generate more than US$200 million in annual revenues.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/02/sports/soccer/nigeria-ecuador-world-cup.html

Edited by red card

Puma released World Cup kits for 5 of their 6 nations + 5 others. Serbia's World Cup kit is apparently coming later.

They kept it simple and largely looks non-templated. 

Morocco's looks similar to previous Puma kits. Canada in a group of nations sporting various versions of red means not that colourful look in the stadium.

https://news.sportslogos.net/2022/05/30/puma-unveils-new-home-kits-for-10-national-teams-including-5-in-world-cup/soccer/

• 2 months later...
On 8/8/2022 at 7:26 PM, MtlMario said:

A little off topic but that Nike US zig zag jersey is one of the ugliest I've ever seen. 

The best US kit is the Where's Waldo edition, why US Soccer doesnt go back to that is mind blowing IMO. That should be their main kit, with a navy kit as a secondary kit. Let the third kit be the Nike experimental edition. I think for Canada the black kit should be the one that they do more experimentation with and maybe look into some different templates

30 minutes ago, red card said:

US kits leaked. Confirmed by various media & McKennie. 

White is as plain as current Canada kits. Blue kit has tie dye sublimated. 

If you want to see Canada's history of kits, this site goes back to 1983. Logos from the 50s.

https://www.footballkitarchive.com/canada-kits/

Pretty lame... especially as Nike is based in the US.