Should Canada change its jersey look for Qatar?

TGAA_Star

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know....

If some inventive, and financed V, went rogue, they could just design and market an unofficial kit, a fan kit, and give a big, fat,  "fuk you" middle finger to the corporate, meta data, drones, over at MotherCorp Fuksville HQ by marketing said fan kit to, you know, the fans.  The ones going to Qatar and staying at home to watch. 

Buy the corporate kit or buy the fan kit.  Do it right and I pretty sure I know which would make more of an impact and probably create something of a world wide media stir.  The press are always looking for something interesting to talk about and a "rebel kit" worn by Canada supports, well, that's kinda interesting no? 

Of course it would have to be something totally the opposite of the current Nike kit.  Well, maybe not the opposite of, but distinct enough from that there'd be no mistaking which one was which. 

Just saying.  If Nike can't be bothered....

Disclaimer.  Back in the day my P.O. said I have anti-authoritarian tendencies.  I'm still not sure what he was talking about but I suspect that observation may be somewhat wrapped up in this scheme. 

4 hours ago, ADP10 said:

i’m a little glad ours didn’t get redesigned considering it could be worse

There's the silver lining. 😆

2 hours ago, Cheeta said:

You know....

If some inventive, and financed V, went rogue, they could just design and market an unofficial kit, a fan kit, and give a big, fat,  "fuk you" middle finger to the corporate, meta data, drones, over at MotherCorp Fuksville HQ by marketing said fan kit to, you know, the fans.    

Well that's one way to drive down the compensation paid to the players... ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2022 at 1:51 AM, RJB said:

I'm interested in buying a Canada jersey, but don't want to buy the current jersey if they're just going to get a new one for the World Cup - I want the new one if there is one.  

Does anyone have any inside knowledge as to if we're getting a new jersey?  When would that be?

Read through the thread and understand the situation.  Seems increasingly unlikely we have anything new... but... do we have any 'final word' on the matter so those of us waiting can order a kit? 

12 hours ago, Copes said:

Read through the thread and understand the situation.  Seems increasingly unlikely we have anything new... but... do we have any 'final word' on the matter so those of us waiting can order a kit? 

I think you should read it again. As of now (the evening of Monday September 5th) the only thing we know for sure is that NIKE (our supplier) and ADIDAS are about to unveil world cup kits for their teams imminently. The ONLY information we have that Canada will not be getting a new kit is a single tweet from months ago that has been reposted numerous time but never corroborated.

It is only "increasingly unlikely" if you believe the same can be said for other teams whose kits have not been unveiled or leaked.

5 hours ago, ted said:

I think you should read it again. As of now (the evening of Monday September 5th) the only thing we know for sure is that NIKE (our supplier) and ADIDAS are about to unveil world cup kits for their teams imminently. The ONLY information we have that Canada will not be getting a new kit is a single tweet from months ago that has been reposted numerous time but never corroborated.

It is only "increasingly unlikely" if you believe the same can be said for other teams whose kits have not been unveiled or leaked.

I must have missed it. Respectfully, the last reference to Canada's kit is a comment on August 15th saying "I'm glad ours didn't get redesigned" and another comment talking about Voyageurs designing an unofficial kit. 

In any event, if hope remains alive for a new kit then I'll hold off on pulling the trigger. Thanks for answering! 

5 hours ago, Copes said:

I must have missed it. Respectfully, the last reference to Canada's kit is a comment on August 15th saying "I'm glad ours didn't get redesigned" and another comment talking about Voyageurs designing an unofficial kit.

Yup, that was all based on another round of sharing the same tweet from earlier and people being impatient.

New York Lol GIF by Lifetime

10 hours ago, frmr said:

Bontis said on a broadcast that the request did not go in in time to allow for a World Cup kit, supply chain issues taken into consideration.

When was this?

Why would the CSA have to request new kits for the World Cup? All the manufacturers want the teams they equip at the World Cup to be in new designs. As I said previously, it also seems unlikely that NIKE would not pre-book production facilities and suppliers based on teams that could still qualify especially since the bookings would have been made long before qualification was finished in Europe.

Sadly, it is is possible, but what an embarrassment for NIKE that would be. Total incompetence from such a large manufacturer seems so unlikely.

On 9/6/2022 at 11:27 PM, ted said:

When was this?

Why would the CSA have to request new kits for the World Cup? All the manufacturers want the teams they equip at the World Cup to be in new designs. As I said previously, it also seems unlikely that NIKE would not pre-book production facilities and suppliers based on teams that could still qualify especially since the bookings would have been made long before qualification was finished in Europe.

Sadly, it is is possible, but what an embarrassment for NIKE that would be. Total incompetence from such a large manufacturer seems so unlikely.

It was in April on a podcast - may have been Northern Futbol.

1. Need 18 months to 2 years from design to distribution of a kit. 

2, Nike didn't plan for Canada men qualifying. And given Canada's historical sales were likely not in Nike's top 100 club/nation kit sales, they didn't plan for any new kits as they did with Nigeria (but Nigeria sold 3 million kits for Russia 2018). Nike did get a new Olympic kit for the women's team - Tokyo was delayed by a year and Nike likely prioritized the women's team.

3. Covid here and in Vietnam/China de-prioritized it further and prevented any quick pivots last fall.

4. Supply chain issues certainly curtailed any quick pivots. Even the current kits haven't been available all the time.

5. Slim chance to have a kit for the World Cup.

Widespread issue as various versions of club kits weren't ready before the season opening weekend and that is with planning that started 2 years ago.

Edited by red card

7 hours ago, red card said:

It was in April on a podcast - may have been Northern Futbol.

1. Need 18 months to 2 years from design to distribution of a kit. 

2, Nike didn't plan for Canada men qualifying. And given Canada's historical sales were likely not in Nike's top 100 club/nation kit sales, they didn't plan for any new kits as they did with Nigeria (but Nigeria sold 3 million kits for Russia 2018). Nike did get a new Olympic kit for the women's team - Tokyo was delayed by a year and Nike likely prioritized the women's team.

3. Covid here and in Vietnam/China de-prioritized it further and prevented any quick pivots last fall.

4. Supply chain issues certainly curtailed any quick pivots. Even the current kits haven't been available all the time.

5. Slim chance to have a kit for the World Cup.

Widespread issue as various versions of club kits weren't ready before the season opening weekend and that is with planning that started 2 years ago.

I wish this would be confirmed through some sort of official channel as opposed to mentioned on a podcast and followed up that there is still a "slim chance". 

Damn it Canada soccer... I'd buy a kit from you today if I knew there wasn't a "slim chance" I'd get fucked doing so! 

2 hours ago, Copes said:

I wish this would be confirmed through some sort of official channel as opposed to mentioned on a podcast and followed up that there is still a "slim chance". 

Damn it Canada soccer... I'd buy a kit from you today if I knew there wasn't a "slim chance" I'd get fucked doing so! 

That Podcast had Nick Bontis on it, and he was the one that pretty much confirmed there wouldn’t be a new kit.

Confirming there is a slim chance isn't the same as confirming there is no chance. 

I just had a look at the store. If there is no chance of a new jersey (they really should know that by now) then they should be plastering "World Cup Jersey" in the name of the jerseys on the store.

For what it's worth (and I'm sure it's worth either nothing, or more stress about the whole situation) the "replica" jerseys in the store are listed as being 2021/22 jerseys. The "authentic" jerseys are listed as just 2021.