Luca Petrasso

Bdog

Poz went for a guaranteed 150k, then more based on performance etc.  So getting 300k for Petrasso isnt bad if he wasnt going to be in their plans and they use that money to bring in replacements.  Not every kid is going to turn into Oso and tough it out with TFC for years eh?  Priso, SHaff, Petrasso, etc....at least they are moving these guys to new homes in good time before their best before date comes up.  Lets hope he continues to grow and finds a home in florida.  

40 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I understand the Canada part but how is that good for Toronto?

Maybe it was supposed to be Good on Toronto for giving him an opportunity elsewhere instead of sitting on the bench and rotting away.  They did the same with Priso and Shaffelburg, where one of those transfers has worked out and the other hasn't.  

Hopefully Petrasso's career is just getting started perhaps he goes on to have a decent MLS Career.  Toronto FC gets a lot of hate on here, but hopefully they get credit for also helping jumpstart many young careers as well.

Edited by Corazon

18 hours ago, narduch said:

TFC probably won't be playing much youth next season 

Maybe not at the beginning, but by June/July I expect to see some youth.  MLS is tough on old bones.  Not sure how 36 year old Criscito/Bradley will be able to withstand the full season wear.  Insigne will be 32.  He seemed relatively durable in Serie A, but we'll see how he handles the travel in MLS.

I can definitely see significant injury cover time for the kids.

4 hours ago, Sal333 said:

I understand the Canada part but how is that good for Toronto?

They have lots of kids in the pipeline, tons of talent in the area, move them out, get some value for them as opposed to letting them rot on the bench or toil at TFC2.  Let Petrasso sink or swim in Orlando.  They can take that 300k in garber bucks and buy down a contract of an older established player that lets them be competitive immediately.  They also got some value for Priso, Shaff etc because they were not in their plans, good for TFC, good for the player.  

They kept Okello (supposedly turned down some nice transfer offers), never did give him the run that Petrasso got and in the end they released him for nothing, after all that work and time.  Not good for him, not good for TFC.  

27 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

They have lots of kids in the pipeline, tons of talent in the area, move them out, get some value for them as opposed to letting them rot on the bench or toil at TFC2.  Let Petrasso sink or swim in Orlando.  They can take that 300k in garber bucks and buy down a contract of an older established player that lets them be competitive immediately.  They also got some value for Priso, Shaff etc because they were not in their plans, good for TFC, good for the player.  

They kept Okello (supposedly turned down some nice transfer offers), never did give him the run that Petrasso got and in the end they released him for nothing, after all that work and time.  Not good for him, not good for TFC.  

That's my philosophy as well. No point hogging the pipeline because a person is Canadian and playing in Canada. Groom your players so they can move on, and another potential Canadian takes his place. That's good for the player pool in general.

6 hours ago, PopePouri said:

That's my philosophy as well. No point hogging the pipeline because a person is Canadian and playing in Canada. Groom your players so they can move on, and another potential Canadian takes his place. That's good for the player pool in general.

It's a good business move as well. 

On 11/10/2022 at 1:36 PM, Bison44 said:

Yeah I'm not mad about this move if it means he gets playing time at Orlando. If Criscito is back next season he'll be stuck behind him at LB, and he's obviously not getting any time at LW with Insigne there. Another Canadian playing for a US based team while another prospect gets his spot is good for the national team.

Wasn't sure where to post this.  I guess just a bit interested to see the two LB's let go.  Petrasso being the biggest surprise of TFC season last year and Criscito being quite good aside from a couple games.  Have to think they'll make one big name signing and perhaps Themi or another young Canadian as a backup.

Edited by Corazon

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

Wasn't sure where to post this.  I guess just a bit interested to see the two LB's let go.  Petrasso being the biggest surprise of TFC season last year and Criscito being quite good aside from a couple games.  Have to think they'll make one big name signing and perhaps Themi or another young Canadian as a backup.

According to Michael Singh Toronto is very high on Themi Antonoglou so I imagine him and someone, perhaps a career MLS LB or something similar could be the tandem.

26 minutes ago, VinceA said:

According to Michael Singh Toronto is very high on Themi Antonoglou so I imagine him and someone, perhaps a career MLS LB or something similar could be the tandem.

Where did you see that they’re high on him ? 

also they were high on Rutty… hasn’t really panned out yet.

• 3 months later...