Luca Petrasso

Bdog

1 hour ago, Lansdude said:

Some decent play going forward by Petrasso this half

I've always been impressed with his ball carrying and running going forward. I wonder how close he is to a national team call. March is probably unlikely but come this summer he will have gotten some good minutes with Orlando and with that perhaps a call to the Gold Cup squad. 

11 hours ago, Obinna said:

I've always been impressed with his ball carrying and running going forward. I wonder how close he is to a national team call. March is probably unlikely but come this summer he will have gotten some good minutes with Orlando and with that perhaps a call to the Gold Cup squad. 

Definitely going to be a depth player if he keeps getting these minutes and impressing. Guti was close but has dropped of the radar. 

44 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Definitely going to be a depth player if he keeps getting these minutes and impressing. Guti was close but has dropped of the radar. 

Agreed. And with the re-emergence of Edwards, there is some legit left-footed wide depth domestically. Moreso true when Guti fights his way back into the Vancouver team.

We may consider Poku in this equation too. He seemed to do well with his trial with Hacken, but obviously just fell short of signing. He could be the next in line for a move either to MLS or abroad. Without making a move, I doubt he forces his way into the Gold Cup side, but it seems like fall will present some friendly opportunities (which hopefully the CSA can take) and maybe that's where we see Poku, along with any other CPL standouts. That's probably the best case for CPL guys earning calls in 2023.

While on this topic, here are some MLS names I think could realistically earn their first cap, and i'll put them in order of likelihood:

1. Petrasso (it's between him and Priso, but it's his thread so he gets the tiebreaker :) )
  2. Priso
  3. Choniere 
  4. Hiebert (haven't watched him yet, but got a gut-sense he catapults onto the CMNT scene if he keeps it up)
  5. Baldisimo (jury is out for many but this season in SJ will tell us a lot whether he's NT material) 
  6. Saliba (highly rated and edges out Rea just based on how season has started, but this could easily change)
  7. Rea
  8. Rutty (cannot put him higher until he plays regularly)
  9. Pantemis/Sirois (lumping them together - Pantemis obviously has the edge, but spoils go to whoever plays more)
  10. Honorable mentions who I think are too far away...for now also in order):
    1. Kerr
    2. Zouhir
    3. Thompson
    4. Hasal (being backup now hurts his chances, even though going to Bahrain was a big step)
    5. Ali Ahmed (know little about him but people are high on him, so will throw him on here)
    6. Yao (watched him at Cavalry, good potential, not sure if he gets much in Vancouver, but being a CB helps his cause)

This is obviously not all the names who could theoretically make waves, but I also don't want to list every single player, just the ones who are somewhat realistic. Potential fall friendlies may not happen, so let me just focus on GC and take a stab at how many of these guys can sneak on.....

I will say 3 to 4...

Edited by Obinna

16 hours ago, Obinna said:

He has a lot of characteristics that to me make for a good utility player. I think he’ll be very useful for club and country in the future.

33 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

He has a lot of characteristics that to me make for a good utility player. I think he’ll be very useful for club and country in the future.

He also seems physically more robust than his older brother.

Michael had a ton of pace but was always a little slight, so when he had the ACL injury, and lost his pace, it really affected him. Still a good player of course, with good technical ability, but he will be a good player at CPL or a similar level from here out. Luca, meanwhile, is not a huge player, but he's definitely bigger and stronger than his brother, and is combative and willing to get stuck in, it seems. I think those qualities will be useful as a utility player in the future, one we can bring into a game and change things up.

I haven't seen him yet with Orlando, but really liked his directness and energy with Toronto, and being the brother of Michael Petrasso it's no surprise he can actually play as well, so he's not just a runner. I was pleasantly surprised to see him starting right away with Orlando, but for me it's more emphasis on the "pleasant" and less on the "surprise". 

6 hours ago, ag futbol said:

If he establishes himself as a first choice starter with his club, he gets in the mix. 

12 hours ago, Obinna said:

Agreed. And with the re-emergence of Edwards, there is some legit left-footed wide depth domestically. Moreso true when Guti fights his way back into the Vancouver team.

We may consider Poku in this equation too. He seemed to do well with his trial with Hacken, but obviously just fell short of signing. He could be the next in line for a move either to MLS or abroad. Without making a move, I doubt he forces his way into the Gold Cup side, but it seems like fall will present some friendly opportunities (which hopefully the CSA can take) and maybe that's where we see Poku, along with any other CPL standouts. That's probably the best case for CPL guys earning calls in 2023.

While on this topic, here are some MLS names I think could realistically earn their first cap, and i'll put them in order of likelihood:

1. Petrasso (it's between him and Priso, but it's his thread so he gets the tiebreaker :) )
  2. Priso
  3. Choniere 
  4. Hiebert (haven't watched him yet, but got a gut-sense he catapults onto the CMNT scene if he keeps it up)
  5. Baldisimo (jury is out for many but this season in SJ will tell us a lot whether he's NT material) 
  6. Saliba (highly rated and edges out Rea just based on how season has started, but this could easily change)
  7. Rea
  8. Rutty (cannot put him higher until he plays regularly)
  9. Pantemis/Sirois (lumping them together - Pantemis obviously has the edge, but spoils go to whoever plays more)
  10. Honorable mentions who I think are too far away...for now also in order):
    1. Kerr
    2. Zouhir
    3. Thompson
    4. Hasal (being backup now hurts his chances, even though going to Bahrain was a big step)
    5. Ali Ahmed (know little about him but people are high on him, so will throw him on here)
    6. Yao (watched him at Cavalry, good potential, not sure if he gets much in Vancouver, but being a CB helps his cause)

This is obviously not all the names who could theoretically make waves, but I also don't want to list every single player, just the ones who are somewhat realistic. Potential fall friendlies may not happen, so let me just focus on GC and take a stab at how many of these guys can sneak on.....

I will say 3 to 4...

Should of clearly mentioned Raposo here....I honestly forgot but he gave us all quite the reminder, didn't he?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
46 minutes ago, jordan said:

This has him linked to Serie B for a loan move

https://x.com/manuelveth/status/1742954813216940246?s=46&t=KtwBDROwUH8sPUlYu2GlIA 

I would imagine it would be a lower table club, but still that's a surprising but good piece of news. Maybe we will be surprised and it will be some club high up the table like Venezia. They have quite the MLS connection, it seems. Key here though is to go somewhere to play and I doubt he does that for one of the stronger teams. Let's see what happens though.

Edited by Obinna