Osaze De Rosario

Atlantic

While the name De Rosario is synonymous with Canadian soccer, the younger De Rosario was actually born in California while his father played for the San Jose Earthquakes. In addition, a significant percentage of his life has been spent in the United States as his father continued his career in MLS with stops in Houston, Toronto, the New York Red Bulls, DC United, before returning to Canada for a final season with Toronto in 2014.

Throughout his childhood, Osaze watched MLS grow into a more modern and competitive league – which his father had a role in creating. He has also seen the United States and Canadian national teams improve to the point where both have qualified for the 2022 World Cup, and both will co-host the 2026 tournament.

The younger De Rosario, however, doesn’t want to have been just a spectator watching the growth of both countries. He wants to be a part of it. He is only just getting started in his career and is even still eligible at the youth levels should the United States, Canada, or both qualify for the 2024 Olympics.

“It is intriguing to see both of my home countries going to the highest levels at the World Cup, especially this year,” De Rosario said. “But having front row seats to it isn't my thing. I am trying to get on the pitch - to play with either national team because it would be an honor to play with either.”

http://www.americansoccernow.com/articles/playing-in-the-spotlight-of-his-father-s-legacy-osaze-de-rosario-building-his-own-name-with-york-united

Maybe it’s just me here but I feel like the CPL is missing out and not really promoting him. He’s been VERY good for York. I am not a York fan but I have been watching his games because I’m curious about him. 
he should  be with the U20/23 camps. It would be huge and shock if he doesn’t play for Canada at some level. 

6 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Osaze was born and spent significant time in the US. He's an American citizen I'm sure.

Both National teams could be interested in him. It's a legit decision.

Osaze could be looked at for our 2026 squad but it is better for us to cap him now before the USMNT does

Worth noting the article I posted is from an American soccer site. Naturally, since he was being interviewed by an American site it would be focused on playing for the US and I wouldve said the same thing. You're not going to tell a reporter writing a nice article about you that you don't want to play for their country. He could still play for them, but fingers crossed he does have Canada as his first choice. 

Edited by rydermike

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, VinceA said:

just got his sixth of the season. He looks like a legit talent. Excited for his future.

Hopefully Guyana aren't sniffing around yet.

Not that I think there's a risk, but I think he's technically eligable for Nigeria as well.

9 hours ago, VinceA said:

just got his sixth of the season. He looks like a legit talent. Excited for his future.

Hopefully Guyana aren't sniffing around yet.

I don't know what it is but he always looks incredibly unhappy when he scores.  It looks like any sort of celebration is an inconvenience, he generally avoids teammates etc.  There's so little difference in demeanor between scoring a nice goal like last night's and blasting it 20 yards wide of goal.

18 minutes ago, solsous said:

I don't know if this was posted before, but I wish that there was a metric to compare the CPL with the USL Championship.  There should be  an open competition between the CPL, USL and the 2nd division Mexican teams.  Thoughts?

I think friendlies would be interesting and would help us see how these teams stack up. I know Cavalry went to Mexico for pre-season, but I cannot recall if they played in 2nd div Mexican sides. Surely teams could go to the Southern US for such camps and maybe get a few games against these USL sides.

I don't like the idea of an official competition though. I don't know why exactly. It just seems awkward, especially when you consider that CPL is technically not a 2nd division, like USL Championship. 

Maybe one day a USL Championship side with win the USOC, a CPL side will win the Canadian Championship, and the two will face off in the Champions League. 

2 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Why would we compete against US and Mexico's second division, when we'll already be competing against the champions from those countries? 

Because the level of the CPL is closer to the level of Mexican div 2 and USL Championship, obviously. Clearly he is interested to know how each of those leagues compare to one another. 

But yeah, I am with you in terms of not liking the idea of an actual competition. It's unecessary. Friendlies would be cool though. 

I think it’s tough to make the argument that the CPL is currently a “true” first division considering the significant gap between their teams and Canadian MLS teams, so in that regard, I think it would be fine to play a little tournament against USL sides- no clue what sort of quality the Mexican second div is. But at the very least, friendlies between the sides would be cool. I wonder if like, a Scottish team or an EFL team would have the funds to do a little Canadian preseason tour, even, if we’re talking about comparing leagues.

15 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think it’s tough to make the argument that the CPL is currently a “true” first division considering the significant gap between their teams and Canadian MLS teams, so in that regard, I think it would be fine to play a little tournament against USL sides- no clue what sort of quality the Mexican second div is. But at the very least, friendlies between the sides would be cool. I wonder if like, a Scottish team or an EFL team would have the funds to do a little Canadian preseason tour, even, if we’re talking about comparing leagues.

I don’t have any trouble arguing something that is true. 3 teams does not constitute a league