WCQ: Jamaica vs Canada - Sunday, Oct 10, 6pm Eastern / 3pm Pacific - Kingston, Jamaica

13 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Let’s leave @Hawkguybe hes explained his reasons and is entitled to his opinion which is what we are all here to do all from different perspectives and we will disagree here I think.
in all honestly I should t have snapped back I was emotional my bad.  I apologise for the language 

For what’s it’s worth IMHO he kept the ball down got good contact on the ball and the keeper made a great save it wasn’t an open net or a miss he didn’t put it over it was just a missed opportunity. I do think he should have scored but he is on a journey not every shot will go in and not everything will go his way.. I spoke to him after the game he’s happy with how he played and thought he should hve scored but thought the keeper did very well to make himself huge and block the goal. 
144am Gn…

Hey man, I was going to PM you after everything settled here but I'll do it here instead. 

I had no idea you were his father. And I never in a million years would have replied to your post criticising him if I did. And I hope you know I would never go to his social media and harass him for missing that shot or anything of that nature. I can't even imagine the feeling of reading some of the posts here. You must be strong mentally to do that. 

I thought he was fabulous to tonight. And you should be proud regardless if he scored or not. He was buzzing quite often tonight. Regardless whether I think the shot should have better or not - it doesn't change the other 89 minutes. And it was on net. I would have definitely sailed it over the top! 

Don't let my posts or anyone else's get to you. I can tell you're extremely proud of him and you really should be. 

As for you firing back at me? No hard feelings. I can totally understand being defensive of your son. My reply to that was very immature, but I think I was frustrated with everyone taking digs at me for just posting my opinions. However, I should never let that change my responses and get to that level. I'm sorry. And goodnight. 

Edited by Hawkguy

Honestly have to disagree with the assessment that a point in Kingston is a good result.

Jamaica’s depleted with major camp problems and had no home support. It was by far the easiest away match we will have in this cycle. As well, we’ve already dropped points at home. Results today show how easily our competitors can gain ground.

5 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

Cold will be our altitude. Their bodies are not used to it. It’s not about field conditions, it’s about energy for 90 minutes.

anybody can please correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't vancouver the only spot in the country where soccer is played through the winter?

so, how many of our guys have actually ever played a game in -15 weather?

now that i think about it tho, the advantage could come for the second game where our guys will already be there for a week before the mexicans fly in, but i just don't see an advanage for the first game. and to be fair, we really don't need an edge over costa rica, we can beat them anywhere.

14 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I respect that we have harsher weather than Paris or Madrid, but both see snow every winter, and both can be below zero. I've been to the Bernabeu, it has heating. 

Keylor has played and trained below zero probably dozens of times. Which of our NT players are currently playing regularly in colder conditions? 

For me, Edmonton makes sense as a large stadium, for its loyal fans, for our excellent tradition there. For the grass pitch. We run the risk of seeing games suspended though, if the weather gets snowy, which will screw the whole proposition.

I'm afraid Commonwealth has had field turf since 2010, but the other reasons are sound enough.

Just now, JohnnyFranchise said:

anybody can please correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't vancouver the only spot in the country where soccer is played through the winter?

so, how many of our guys have actually ever played a game in -15 weather?

now that i think about it tho, the advantage could come for the second game where our guys will already be there for a week before the mexicans fly in, but i just don't see an advanage for the first game. and to be fair, we really don't need an edge over costa rica, we can beat them anywhere.

No but they all lived in a -15/-20/-40000 CANADA weather. That’s the point. They are all way closer than CR and Mex players. Wait and see.

One other point/query - I am guessing that must have been our youngest ever roster for a WCQ. I think Osorio was our oldest player at 29 among the starters. It’s not easy to win on the road in Concacaf as the Americans found out today, so I am fairly content and impressed we just picked up two road draws under such adverse circumstances 

1 minute ago, MauditYvon said:

No but they all lived in a -15/-20/-40000 CANADA weather. That’s the point. They are all way closer than CR and Mex players. Wait and see.

living and playing are 2 different things. like i said, we'll beat costa rica regardless, and the sitting and waiting for mexico to arrive could be a serious edge for that game. 

1 minute ago, MauditYvon said:

Easiest match? We missed 5 starters. Panama is a must win tho (and we will be high in the table if it happens).

It’s a bit of everything. 

We had our limitations and the heat was a challenge but that was a near-crippled Jamaican side, with no home fans in attendance. 

There are no easy road games in CONCACAF but if we were going to circle one road game where we thought “we could get 3 points here” this probably would have been it. Anyway, onward and upward.

2 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

Exactly.  I would have thought the fact that most of the players grew up or lived here, that they’ll be used to the weather more.  Nobody is denying it won’t be pleasant for the Canadian players.  We know it will feel awful for CR and Mex.

2 minutes ago, BigMo said:

Honestly have to disagree with the assessment that a point in Kingston is a good result.

Jamaica’s depleted with major camp problems and had no home support. It was by far the easiest away match we will have in this cycle. As well, we’ve already dropped points at home. Results today show how easily our competitors can gain ground.

Yup totally agree no fans,  they were missing a few very good players also, but then we were too , but I guess after that hard fought game in Mexico and the short amount of time between games , moreover missing the players we were missing it was never going to be an easy game , it just makes that Panama game a very tricky game all we can do is hope for the best it’s not going to be easy .

3 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

living and playing are 2 different things. like i said, we'll beat costa rica regardless, and the sitting and waiting for mexico to arrive could be a serious edge for that game. 

80% of them did winter sports. 100% snowballs battle and king of the hill. Far from La Pura Vida.

1 hour ago, Razcal said:

Clearly you haven't been following the Canadian National team very long... or you are trolling.

We should have beat Mexico, upset or not we deserved better than we got. 

today I expected a win, it’s a game we have to win. 

I see it as we dropped points, both nights. 

3 minutes ago, Razcal said:

I mean, we are the only away team that got a point during Sundays games, that has to amount to something.

Maybe it is just my foul mood, but it really doesn’t amount to much.  If we win on Wednesday and come out of the window with 5 points it will still hit the target I set for success.  But there is no way around the fact that this was 2 points dropped.  

8 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

We should have beat Mexico, upset or not we deserved better than we got. 

today I expected a win, it’s a game we have to win. 

I see it as we dropped points, both nights. 

We couldve just as easily lost against mexico. 

taking a point at the azteca has never in a hundred years of qualifying been seen as the away team dropping points. 

1 hour ago, Hawkguy said:

He has played well. Just doesn't have that goal scorer instinct to bury that. Played it so safe and cost us 2 points

Interesting take. You need to hit up the Jamaican boards.

Reggae Boy fans calling it 2 points dropped by Jamaica.  Saying how they missed 3 easy goals and how they should have burried a depleted Canada team that came down from altitude. 

With the suspensions, trash surface and injuries, today could have gone a lot worse.

The problem is we now need a win vs Panama, and they are turning out to be the darkhorse of qualifying so far.

I'm starting to think Buchanan is irreplaceable at this point, much like Davies. When those two play the wings, it seems like the opposition gets overwhelmed. We missed that today, even though Davies was a bright spot for sure. 

Unfortunately, David has been practically invisible for us. Not sure what's going on with him, but I agree with others that we should add a forward. Also, no disrespect, but I'm not sure why Brym is part of the squad and is actually getting minutes. Very odd choice. 

On a positive note, I actually thought Henry had a good match - particularly that bicycle clearance to avoid a mixup with Crepeau. 

Speaking of which, Crepeau saved us big time at the death. 

Cornelius was good as well. Glad Miller got to have a break from action without issue. Johnston was OK. Millar could have done better with his chance. 

I really don't understand why ZBG hasn't gotten a look. With Laryea out, today would have been a perfect time to bring him in.

Lastly, did anyone notice the incorrect starting lineup and sub info displayed during the OneSoccer broadcast? I'm pretty sure Kennedy was listed as starting (which I considered a pleasant surprise) and then, during one of the subs, Buchanan was listed as entering the game.