WCQ: Jamaica vs Canada - Sunday, Oct 10, 6pm Eastern / 3pm Pacific - Kingston, Jamaica

31 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

anybody can please correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't vancouver the only spot in the country where soccer is played through the winter?

so, how many of our guys have actually ever played a game in -15 weather?

now that i think about it tho, the advantage could come for the second game where our guys will already be there for a week before the mexicans fly in, but i just don't see an advanage for the first game. and to be fair, we really don't need an edge over costa rica, we can beat them anywhere.

High level youth soccer in Alberta means some games in very cold sloppy weather, either early in the spring or late in the fall. And there is at least one player on our team who has played high level youth soccer in Alberta.

4 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Interesting take. You need to hit up the Jamaican boards.

Reggae Boy fans calling it 2 points dropped by Jamaica.  Saying how they missed 3 easy goals and how they should have burried a depleted Canada team that came down from altitude. 

Jamaica is a wounded animal like Herdman said. And we had depth problems. Good result. Depending on Panama maybe, but we are in control.

23 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Reggae Boy fans calling it 2 points dropped by Jamaica.  Saying how they missed 3 easy goals and how they should have burried a depleted Canada team that came down from altitude. 

They were the better team tonight so I don't disagree with them.

I don't think most here are giving Jamaica enough credit for that result.  They worked hard to shut down space in their half, leaving our players with little time to make a play.  Even out wide, our wingers had to make move after move just to get away a crappy cross.  I think it was actually easier attacking Mexico than it was Jamaica.  Dunfield mentioned in the first half that the Jamaicans were working too hard to keep up that pace for the whole game, but it turned out that he was wrong about that.  We may have had more control in the game, but I think the Jamaicans earned that tie rather than it being us pissing away a win.

26 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

With the suspensions, trash surface and injuries, today could have gone a lot worse.

The problem is we now need a win vs Panama, and they are turning out to be the darkhorse of qualifying so far.

I'm starting to think Buchanan is irreplaceable at this point, much like Davies. When those two play the wings, it seems like the opposition gets overwhelmed. We missed that today, even though Davies was a bright spot for sure. 

Unfortunately, David has been practically invisible for us. Not sure what's going on with him, but I agree with others that we should add a forward. Also, no disrespect, but I'm not sure why Brym is part of the squad and is actually getting minutes. Very odd choice. 

On a positive note, I actually thought Henry had a good match - particularly that bicycle clearance to avoid a mixup with Crepeau. 

Speaking of which, Crepeau saved us big time at the death. 

Cornelius was good as well. Glad Miller got to have a break from action without issue. Johnston was OK. Millar could have done better with his chance. 

I really don't understand why ZBG hasn't gotten a look. With Laryea out, today would have been a perfect time to bring him in.

Lastly, did anyone notice the incorrect starting lineup and sub info displayed during the OneSoccer broadcast? I'm pretty sure Kennedy was listed as starting (which I considered a pleasant surprise) and then, during one of the subs, Buchanan was listed as entering the game.

No your right that Buchanan is a very big miss when he is not playing and Laryea also . With those two guys out we miss the speed that has caused teams headaches so far . When they are on the field the other teams have three speedsters to watch but not only speed but guys who can beat you on the dribble too. If this team is going to qualify the less games without Buchanan and Laryea the better, with those two not playing this is a different team, they lose their dynamic. We need these guys healthy and playing . I think we might be able to do without David if he his hurt but not Buchanan or even Laryea . Let’s put it this way we have to have at least two of either Buchanan, Laryea and Davies, miss two of these 3 guys at the same time and this team looks totally different it just loses a lot of its dynamic .

Edited by SoccMan

1 hour ago, rkomar said:

I don't think most here are giving Jamaica enough credit for that result.  They worked hard to shut down space in their half, leaving our players with little time to make a play.  Even out wide, our wingers had to make move after move just to get away a crappy cross.  I think it was actually easier attacking Mexico than it was Jamaica.  Dunfield mentioned in the first half that the Jamaicans were working too hard to keep up that pace for the whole game, but it turned out that he was wrong about that.  We may have had more control in the game, but I think the Jamaicans earned that tie rather than it being us pissing away a win.

Agreed

47 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Hard to argue it’s this take either.  Except for the elbow which looked straight red 

Can’t be upset with the draw or the lineup Herdman put out.

If one could back in time they’d probably bring Davies off the bench. He expended a lot of energy for a sloppy portion of the game. If he came on later I think he would have torn them to shreds.

But I can’t blame Herdman for starting him. Especially with Hoilett and Buchanan out.

Edited by CanadaFan123

29 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Let’s put it this way we have to have at least two of either Buchanan, Laryea and Davies, miss two of these 3 guys at the same time and this team looks totally different it just loses a lot of its dynamic .

I think we can add Eustáquio to those 3 guys. None of our other defensive midfielders are at Eustáquio’s level.

Edited by Grandbloke

24 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

No your right that Buchanan is a very big miss when he is not playing and Laryea also . With those two guys out we miss the speed that has caused teams headaches so far . When they are on the field the other teams have three speedsters to watch but not only speed but guys who can beat you on the dribble too. If this team is going to qualify the less games without Buchanan and Laryea the better, with those two not playing this is a different team, they lose their dynamic. We need these guys healthy and playing . I think we might be able to do without David if he his hurt but not Buchanan or even Laryea . Let’s put it this way we have to have at least two of either Buchanan, Laryea and Davies, miss two of these 3 guys at the same time and this team looks totally different it just loses a lot of its dynamic .

Even one of these guys on the field tonight would have changed things.  Both are indispensable 

55 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Lastly, did anyone notice the incorrect starting lineup and sub info displayed during the OneSoccer broadcast? I'm pretty sure Kennedy was listed as starting (which I considered a pleasant surprise) and then, during one of the subs, Buchanan was listed as entering the game.

I believe that those came from the CONCACAF feed and were not the fault of OneSoccer.  The directing of the CONCACAF broadcast was the worst that I can remember in quite some time.  So many times the live play was missed to show a replay in excruciatingly-slow motion or to show a long shot of the manager or referee....just standing. 

I didn’t see all the post game comments, so maybe others touched on this previously, but the way Wheeler and Dunfield were talking about Piette being excellent and maybe MOTM, I thought they were drunk.  He made some brutal turnovers and I find he doesn’t really contribute much.  I’ve never understood what some people see in him.  If he’s getting basically getting a full game like tonight, your team is not in a good place 

Just now, EJsens1 said:

I didn’t see all the post game comments, so maybe others touched on this previously, but the way Wheeler and Dunfield were talking about Piette being excellent and maybe MOTM, I thought they were drunk.  He made some brutal turnovers and I find he doesn’t really contribute much.  I’ve never understood what some people see in him.  If he’s getting basically getting a full game like tonight, your team is not in a good place 

I thought he was very solid until about his last 7 or 8 minutes on the pitch when he looked gassed and started giving the ball away and losing tackles which is not what he did for most of the match despite being on an early yellow card! I don't think he has played a lot of full 90 minute matches with Montreal so fitness was becoming an issue, good on JH to recognize that and sub him out!

4 minutes ago, gator said:

I thought he was very solid until about his last 7 or 8 minutes on the pitch when he looked gassed and started giving the ball away and losing tackles which is not what he did for most of the match despite being on an early yellow card! I don't think he has played a lot of full 90 minute matches with Montreal so fitness was becoming an issue, good on JH to recognize that and sub him out!

I just don’t think he makes a difference out there.  I understand bringing him in for a mop up time if you’re up 2-3 nothing in the 82nd minute or something.  I can’t see him lasting past this cycle.

4 minutes ago, Christian B. said:

I absolutely don't understand why so many are pointing their fingers at Piette. I could easily name 5 players who didn't do their job as well as Piette tonight. I just won't because there is no point.

I thought the only return starter from Azteca that played decent was  Johnston, the others were gassed and the poor pitch didn't help matters!, 

Just now, EJsens1 said:

I just don’t think he makes a difference out there.  I understand bringing him in for a mop up time if you’re up 2-3 nothing in the 82nd minute or something.  I can’t see him lasting past this cycle.

We didn’t concede a goal and we stifled their attacks in open play.  Their only real threats came for set pieces.  As a CDM, that is his job - and he did it.  Not perfectly for sure, but he did it well for most of the game.  

People are only complaining about his performance because he isn’t springing the attack like Staq, but he simply isn’t that type of player.

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

We didn’t concede a goal and we stifled their attacks in open play.  Their only real threats came for set pieces.  As a CDM, that is his job - and he did it.  Not perfectly for sure, but he did it well for most of the game.  

People are only complaining about his performance because he isn’t springing the attack like Staq, but he simply isn’t that type of player.

We were lucky to not give up a goal.  They had 2-3 excellent chances from live play.  I’m not going to break down each one and I’m not here to shred Piette.  I just don’t see a player that is very effective.  If he hadn’t been in the game, I don’t see a difference in the result and performance.  Some would argue that is the point of the type of player he is, but I’ll disagree to his perceived influence in the game