WCQ: Jamaica vs Canada - Sunday, Oct 10, 6pm Eastern / 3pm Pacific - Kingston, Jamaica

Anyone who isn’t happy with this result needs to open their eyes and look at the playing conditions. When the ball is bouncing on a pitch like that it’s so hard to play with speed and skill. It completely suited Jamaica’s physicality and there’s a reason why all their chances came from set pieces. I really think if Millar went for a low finish it would have had a much better chance at going in but it may have bounced up slightly and he got under it as he went to strike it. 

I think today's result is a great measure of where we have come as both a playing & supporting nation.  🟥🟥

We are disappointed to have only drawn at a historically difficult place to play, after an emotionally and physically draining match in Mexico, in the final qualifying group for the World Cup Finals.

Hopefully the lads can bounce back (suspensions and injuries over with) and pick up three massive points on Wednesday.  

Edited by gwsmith63

4 minutes ago, Ruud said:

Herdman could have focused non this game instead of Mexico and gotten 3. Instead we are at 2.  Panama is getting some breaks on an own goal today and we were a post away from losing today.  Still not clear why we didn’t see Hoilett tonight.  I thought he was going to be a starter.  He would have tested Blake more 

really hoped we would bring Davies into the game as a sub tonight.  

Hoilett tweaked a hammy in training yest

3 minutes ago, Craig11rm said:

Anyone who isn’t happy with this result needs to open their eyes and look at the playing conditions. When the ball is bouncing on a pitch like that it’s so hard to play with speed and skill. It completely suited Jamaica’s physicality and there’s a reason why all their chances came from set pieces. I really think if Millar went for a low finish it would have had a much better chance at going in but it may have bounced up slightly and he got under it as he went to strike it. 

For sure. Even if Millar went low, he could have missed. It wasn't the easiest chance in the world, I just wish he played it a little less safe. Then again, maybe playing it safe was the best chance to score. I can never really know. 

I'm not happy with the point. But I'm not angry either. Hopefully it doesn't come back to haunt us that we are struggling to put a nail into teams though. 

Edited by Hawkguy

9 hours ago, Ruud said:

Herdman could have focused non this game instead of Mexico and gotten 3. Instead we are at 2.  Panama is getting some breaks on an own goal today and we were a post away from losing today.  Still not clear why we didn’t see Hoilett tonight.  I thought he was going to be a starter.  He would have tested Blake more 

really hoped we would bring Davies into the game as a sub tonight.  

Could have, should have, would have. I hope you bet against Canada tonight, knowing what you did after that Mexican result. Just think: thanks to that result we are only 4 points behind the leader of the Octo, not 6.

Thanks to it as well, Mexico came out strong and are taking out one of the Octo rivals benefitting us.

Hoillet is injured. You would have subbed in Davies. Fabulous.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Just now, Hawkguy said:

A good portion of Mexico's best don't play in Mexico though. 

Yeah well imo Madrid and Paris are not winterish.

I think you don’t realize the weather edge we have. Only USA could host a game in real winter conditions (and most of their squad are probably not used to it).

We’ll see! Quite off topic, sorry.

Just now, MauditYvon said:

I think you don’t realize the weather edge we have. Only USA could host a game in real winter conditions (and most of their squad are probably not used to it).

Not off topic at all. I agree we will have an advantage. I'm just waiting to see how much! 

15 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

I said it was a bad shot attempt. In my opinion, it was. I said multiple times he played great and he was actually my MotM. How the fuck is that being an asshole? 

You didn’t say it was a bad shot attempt.  You told his dad he that “doesn't have that goal scorer instinct” and “cost us 2 points”.   THAT is being an asshole.

Let’s leave @Hawkguybe hes explained his reasons and is entitled to his opinion which is what we are all here to do all from different perspectives and we will disagree here I think.
in all honestly I should t have snapped back I was emotional my bad.  I apologise for the language 

For what’s it’s worth IMHO he kept the ball down got good contact on the ball and the keeper made a great save it wasn’t an open net or a miss he didn’t put it over it was just a missed opportunity. I do think he should have scored but he is on a journey not every shot will go in and not everything will go his way.. I spoke to him after the game he’s happy with how he played and thought he should hve scored but thought the keeper did very well to make himself huge and block the goal. 
144am Gn…

Just now, MauditYvon said:

We’re talking about Costa Rica and Mexico. Not Norway and Belarus.

sure, you're not wrong. but you're from montreal and said you wouldn't want to play in edmonton in november. so, like, who actually DOES want to play there in november?

i know i moved the goalposts here and now we're way off topic, but if edmonton is too cold for someone from montreal, then OUR guys aren't gonna want to play there either. the cold will be a non-factor unless we get up a couple goals then they'll just want to get the h*ll out of there. that's more my point here.

just my opinion, don't jump down my throat if you disagree.

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

You didn’t say it was a bad shot attempt.  You told his dad he that “doesn't have that goal scorer instinct” and “cost us 2 points”.   THAT is being an asshole.

You keep saying it as if I knew it was his dad. I just weird quoted a poster who said he played well and agreed, except for the shot. 

Not scoring there did cost us two points. But it should not have read like he was the sole reason we didn't win, if I worded it that way I apologize. We had other chances. And honestly I believe we lack goal scoring instinct as a nation outside of a few. We are developing and improving. Millar is a huge part of that and I'm glad he's on Team Canada. It's a team game... results rely on the team. 

33 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

Nah, someone wants to tell me off then I'll tell them off right back. I like Millar. Always have. Read back my posts. Big fan. Followed him when he went to Scotland from Liverpool. Watched League One too. Haven't seen him in Switzerland though. Tons of talent. 

I wasn't even chirping him when I said I wanted a player that runs at others in. I wanted Millar in as well, dropped back slightly. He played great. Honestly thought he was arguably our best player tonight. Also, I'm not student arrogant enough to think my opinion is always right. But it's my opinion. That's the joy of soccer. 

Doesn't change that he should have had a better attempt on goal. And hopefully that develops over time because he has so many other great tools. I'm not going to go trash him on his social media or anything crazy. I talk about the game, admittedly emotionally, during games. 

Are you telling me you have never criticized a player? Also, I didn't know that was his dad or I would have not replied to him criticising the shot attempt.

I stand by saying it was a poor shot attempt, doesn't change that he was very, very good for the rest of the game and a huge reason we even got a point. 

Your allowed to criticize a player when he misses an open net and it’s not even close . If that was an Osorio for example that had missed that chance we would not have heard the end of it . He had an ok game nothing special hopefully he does better next time . 

9 hours ago, MauditYvon said:

I respect that we have harsher weather than Paris or Madrid, but both see snow every winter, and both can be below zero. I've been to the Bernabeu, it has heating. 

Keylor has played and trained below zero probably dozens of times. Which of our NT players are currently playing regularly in colder conditions? 

For me, Edmonton makes sense as a large stadium, for its loyal fans, for our excellent tradition there. For the grass pitch. We run the risk of seeing games suspended though, if the weather gets snowy, which will screw the whole proposition.

1 minute ago, MauditYvon said:

I’m not entirely certain we have one. Soccer is not a winter sport in this country and if anything we tend to head indoors earlier.  Six-stud cleats are a rarity here but those are very much a staple in countries that play deep into parts of year where the ground conditions are sub optimal. 

i think we’re far less winter-ready than people believe.

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Could have, should have, would have. I hope you bet against Canada tonight, knowing what you did after that Mexican result. Just think: thanks to that result we are only 4 points behind the leader of the Octo, not 6.

Thanks to it as well, Mexico came out strong and are taking out one of the Octo rivals benefitting us.

Hoillet is injured. You would have subbed in Davies. Fabulous.

First off I loved that Mexico draw a lot.   Second, KJ and Oli also thought Davies would start on the bench. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.  There are tough decisions on starting lineups to be made. I get that. Fair to say we’ll debate again on Wednesday if Davies sits and we don’t get three points.  

That was tough to watch all round even given the many factors working against us in this match. That is a huge blown opportunity. The three points really would have insulated us for what is coming overall. Now the pressure is even greater to win vs Panama with Mexico and an improving Costa Rica catching sight of us in the next window. Then comes Honduras away...

The team has got to play to get a shot on goal and then take it. We have missed some sitters in the matches so far. More simple, little or direct touches playing to other player's feet is the way to overcome an extremely slow, torn up pitch. You cant just play the ball into space on this kind of field and hope people can run on to it.  Constant backwards passes also hurt us. Coodos for the boys for some of the wing play, but the crosses were not working or we over played them. The forwards or attacking players really overplayed the ball in the box at times. Davies and David don't need to try to turn defenders that much. We need to get back to some basics in training. 

Looking at our deficiencies in all five games, the biggest thing that worries me is the abject horrid quality of our corner kicks. We seem to get quite a few in every game (which is great) but we play a sh*t ball almost every time. Squandering so many corners is really hurting us and needs to be addressed for wednsday. 

Off the pitch, I remain very dismayed about our reluctance to not call in a full roster. We only called 23 (I think) for the first window and it seems the only reason we called 27 this time is to cover for the 4 or 5 guys who are injured and sound like they didnt't ever have much chance of playing. Not calling every available player of quality means when injuries and suspensions pile up, especially to our best players, we are in this exact situation which will translate to dropped points or losses. 

Historically, it never surprises me how much these self inflicted wounds really cost us. They build up over time.  I just hope that even 1 or 2 of the injured players is good to go for 20 minutes in Toronto. This team, while great still has a lot to work on or achieve. That being said, I cant help but wonder what difference having even one of the suspended players could have made tonight. One little moment of individual skill or one little team play could have been the difference and got us a 1-0 win even if the rest of the night was a shite performance. 

I just hope all of the injured and the other quality players are good to go for November. We are going to need them. Or, lets hope they call a full squad and other guys from the depth category can find a higher gear. At least that is possible with this team. 

Good luck in TO. I hope the place is packed with with Canada supporters. I wish I could be there.