WCQ | Window 1 | Match Day 3: Canada vs El Salvador- Wednesday, Sept 8th, 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Toronto, BMO Field

Shway

46 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I just landed at Pearson and took the UP Express into Union Station.  I counted 8 Salvadorans supporters just in my carriage.  

It’s gonna be 40% El Salvador fans, you watch. They were the ones who bought almost half the tickets before the Honduras game. The rest were people realizing Canada was playing, and wanting tickets. 

We gotta be loud. An early goal for Canada would really help. 

P.S Do what TFC does, and shot towards the south end in the 2nd half. 

26 minutes ago, TOCanada115 said:

It’s gonna be 40% El Salvador fans, you watch. They were the ones who bought almost half the tickets before the Honduras game. The rest were people realizing Canada was playing, and wanting tickets. 

Thought this was a mistake in the last game. 
But I'm going to assume they lost the toss or won and wanted the wind in the first half.

11 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

US fans standing during games. I've seen this at Sounders, which on tv looks impressive. It's not. They stand bored, silent, as if waiting for donuts some summer's even with a patriotically bored AF look on their faces. They stand for the hell of it, and the vast majority neither participate in chants nor engage. Very poser and what we saw, it seems, in Nashville. @Acid-Tonewill set me straight if I'm wrong on this.

I was on the opposite to the AO.  They seemed to be louder early in the game and definitely tailed off as the game progressed. 

The area I was in had a lot of families of which the majority were more or less sitting on their hands. There was a couple of pockets of Frat-boy types who were poorly (And I mean really poorly) trying to heckle the Canadian players and the guys in the bench who were warming up right in front of us.   Real gems like “Davies, you must work out at Planet fitness!” and “number 2, who are you, I’ve never even heard of you”

After that last one, I turned around, cursed the guy out and let him know we were actually in Alistair Johnston’s home stadium. That quieted him down temporarily.  A few others around me jumped in with  “which number was that?” “Does he really play here?” LoL 

Most of the banter was good natured, and my biggest complaint was just how incredibly lame the majority of their comments were. 

One of the hecklers brought me back a beer after halftime, so it all worked out just fine!  

I probably stood most of the game, though most of the people around me sat.  I would’ve stood more, but I had an 8 yr old kid in the seat behind me and every once in a while I would feel a bit guilty that I was blocking his view and I would try sitting down for a couple of minutes. 

So yeah, to your point @Unnamed Trialist it’s  safe to say that an awful lot of the people at the Nashville game should probably be considered casual fans at best. 

42 minutes ago, Shway said:

Ok we get it already!

We know you are in your beautiful country of Spain, where the men have more style than women.

You are thinking of Italy, would say. Where the women are far less pretty than the men.

Spanish women are extraordinary. I'd say up there with the Czechs and Poles as the most beautiful in Europe. But really: if you are cold enough to need a sweater, how can you not wear socks?

I'm not in Spain now BTW.

Well if it is sold out tonight, then I expect a lot of Salvadorean-Canadians in attendance but obviously we will outnumber them. But at the same time, we have to, have to hit the ground running right from the opening. I expect an even bigger and better electric atmosphere in the stadium tonight and honestly I'm just so excited that our guys just pull off the win.

10 minutes ago, Acid-Tone said:

I was on the opposite to the AO.  They seemed to be louder early in the game and definitely tailed off as the game progressed. 

The area I was in had a lot of families of which the majority were more or less sitting on their hands. There was a couple of pockets of Frat-boy types who were poorly (And I mean really poorly) trying to heckle the Canadian players and the guys in the bench who were warming up right in front of us.   Real gems like “Davies, you must work out at Planet fitness!” and “number 2, who are you, I’ve never even heard of you”

After that last one, I turned around, cursed the guy out and let him know we were actually in Alistair Johnston’s home stadium. That quieted him down temporarily.  A few others around me jumped in with  “which number was that?” “Does he really play here?” LoL 

Most of the banter was good natured, and my biggest complaint was just how incredibly lame the majority of their comments were. 

One of the hecklers brought me back a beer after halftime, so it all worked out just fine!  

I probably stood most of the game, though most of the people around me sat.  I would’ve stood more, but I had an 8 yr old kid in the seat behind me and every once in a while I would feel a bit guilty that I was blocking his view and I would try sitting down for a couple of minutes. 

So yeah, to your point @Unnamed Trialist it’s  safe to say that an awful lot of the people at the Nashville game should probably be considered casual fans at best. 

Thanks, great report. 

As someone who has been in stadiums full of Mexican fans and with a small Canada contingent (like our GC match in Seattle way back), I would say this: in the US, and maybe Canada, even the Mexican fans are more about numbers than intensity. They go to see Mexico, want them to win, but you see families, they are relaxed and even low key, and very few are anywhere near real football fans. For them it is just something to do, like going on a church picnic. There are quite a few women and lots of families, groups of friends. They wear the shirt. But it's not very aggressive--only if someone gets drunk does that change. 

I've never been to a Mexican league match and I'm sure that is different.

50 minutes ago, TOCanada115 said:

Lat match wind may have been a consideration but I will never understand the home team not attacking the supporter's end in the 2nd half!

I'm not sure how people think the CSA can keep visiting fans out of the stadium. They have a section in the north east side of the stadium, but how could they stop a Canadian/Canadian resident from buying a ticket to the game and putting on a visiting team shirt? Deny them entry to the stadium when they see what colours the person is dressed in and the section listed on their ticket? Some people mentioned to relocate them, how would that work exactly? If there are a couple thousand fans sprinkled throughout the stadium, are you going to send them to the other side of the stadium, where they will have to displace a Canadian fan from the seat they bought, what if that person doesn't want to change seats? What if this relocation was happening when the game was already started, or about to start? I wouldn't want to spend 5 or 10 minutes after getting booted out of the seat I chose, to go to a seat on the other side of the stadium, where maybe there is someone else saying they were told to go to my newly assigned seat, neither of us have the seat number on our tickets, all while we are missing the game. It's just not in any way feasible.

The best we can do is to get a bigger and bigger fan base. Fans that are buying tickets to Canada vs Honduras as well as Canada vs El Salvador, and Canada vs Jamaica, etc, get in pre-sales. If there are enough such people, the majority of the tickets get sold to Canadian fans before the visitors have their chance to buy tickets. Even in that kind of scenario, you won't be able to keep them all out.

I think people were just referring to the south end moreso than the stadium.  If you bought south end tickets it stated before you bought that they were for Canadian supporters only.  It would be no different than wearing Canadian gear in section 203/204 which are the designated El Salvador sections.

I agree that the only way to keep visiting fans out of the rest of the stadium is to have more Canadian fans.  Unfortunately it is what it is for tonight...

I also think the split on Thursday was like 80/20 Canada, just every single Honduran fan was showing in up full gear with flags.  I'm sure tonight will look like 50/50 even though it will still be something like 2/3 Canadian fans.

Edited by theaub

14 minutes ago, Kent said:

I'm not sure how people think the CSA can keep visiting fans out of the stadium. They have a section in the north east side of the stadium, but how could they stop a Canadian/Canadian resident from buying a ticket to the game and putting on a visiting team shirt? Deny them entry to the stadium when they see what colours the person is dressed in and the section listed on their ticket? Some people mentioned to relocate them, how would that work exactly? If there are a couple thousand fans sprinkled throughout the stadium, are you going to send them to the other side of the stadium, where they will have to displace a Canadian fan from the seat they bought, what if that person doesn't want to change seats? What if this relocation was happening when the game was already started, or about to start? I wouldn't want to spend 5 or 10 minutes after getting booted out of the seat I chose, to go to a seat on the other side of the stadium, where maybe there is someone else saying they were told to go to my newly assigned seat, neither of us have the seat number on our tickets, all while we are missing the game. It's just not in any way feasible.

The best we can do is to get a bigger and bigger fan base. Fans that are buying tickets to Canada vs Honduras as well as Canada vs El Salvador, and Canada vs Jamaica, etc, get in pre-sales. If there are enough such people, the majority of the tickets get sold to Canadian fans before the visitors have their chance to buy tickets. Even in that kind of scenario, you won't be able to keep them all out.

It is a question of safety and security. We heard some Honduras fans went at Henry and Campagna last BMO match, near the Canada bench. 

That is exactly what happens in hundreds of stadiums in the world, for NT matches and for clubs. In fact it is quite habitual. The stewards will relocate fans wearing opposing team shirts in a section where they might not feel uncomfortable. Fan contingents are separated. Ticketing is designated and when buying online there are clear messages to not buy outside your team's section.

There are even separate entrances for opposing fans. And so on. 

Now there is no question that you are right, that we need the fan base broader and sharper. We need to have a field designated and know our fans are going to sell out right away, react quickly and sell quickly. It would help if they'd let Jamie and the Voyageurs coordinators get a few days head start, but of course this window the confirmations came late so that was harder. All that. 

Comment to @theaub: my perception watching the Honduras match was that BMO was more than 80% Canada supporters, and that the overall effect was overwhelmingly positive for what we are talking about.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Any news on whether El Salvador received permission for all their fully vaccinated players to play? There was a report yesterday that only 14 players were cleared to play since the others had been vaccinated with a vaccine Canada hasn't approved, and that El Salvador was seeking permission from CONCACAF for the rest. I'm curious to know how all of that played out. 

32 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It is a question of safety and security. We heard some Honduras fans went at Henry and Campagna last BMO match, near the Canada bench. 

That is exactly what happens in hundreds of stadiums in the world, for NT matches and for clubs. In fact it is quite habitual. The stewards will relocate fans wearing opposing team shirts in a section where they might not feel uncomfortable. Fan contingents are separated. Ticketing is designated and when buying online there are clear messages to not buy outside your team's section.

There are even separate entrances for opposing fans. And so on. 

Now there is no question that you are right, that we need the fan base broader and sharper. We need to have a field designated and know our fans are going to sell out right away, react quickly and sell quickly. It would help if they'd let Jamie and the Voyageurs coordinators get a few days head start, but of course this window the confirmations came late so that was harder. All that. 

Comment to @theaub: my perception watching the Honduras match was that BMO was more than 80% Canada supporters, and that the overall effect was overwhelmingly positive for what we are talking about.

I think the first incident that I can recall was Honduras at Saputo in 2008(?).  Some of the Hondurans who charged the home supporters happened to have been located right next to us.  That was the most violence I’ve seen at a Canada match; the CSA has learned a lot since then and there has been adequate separation.  Not to say problems won’t happen in the future but right now it’s pretty much isolated cases that local security will have to manage.

As for early ticketing, you’re right, we got official word very late this window.  Part of it was ensuring crowds could come in.  But at the end of the day, the CSA has been very helpful in helping us secure the entire south end at BMO.  We need to have checks and balances that no away supporters get their hands on those tickets.  Learned a lot from ticketing this cycle.

Just now, jtpc said:

Any news on whether El Salvador received permission for all their fully vaccinated players to play? There was a report yesterday that only 14 players were cleared to play since the others had been vaccinated with a vaccine Canada hasn't approved, and that El Salvador was seeking permission from CONCACAF for the rest. I'm curious to know how all of that played out. 

The team came out and said that report is false. 

All their players they brought are available 

17 minutes ago, narduch said:

Costa Rica ref tonight.

image.png.1aeed02b1e7c3679bc16fe19a875572f.png

@narduch ⬇️

On 9/6/2021 at 8:35 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The ref:

https://worldreferee.com/referee/ricardo_montero_araya/

He was our ref for our 2017 Gold Cup match against Jamaica and our 2017 friendly at BMO Field against Jamaica.

On 9/7/2021 at 10:13 AM, Jedi Ram said:

Use this website, as it gives more recent information of ALL the matches he refereed.  As he done a few MLS canadian matches.

http://www.playmakerstats.com/referee_results.php?grp=0&compet_id_jogos=0&epoca_id=146&epoca_fim_id=151&id=7545&menu=results&type=season

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

6 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I think the first incident that I can recall was Honduras at Saputo in 2008(?).  Some of the Hondurans who charged the home supporters happened to have been located right next to us.  That was the most violence I’ve seen at a Canada match; the CSA has learned a lot since then and there has been adequate separation.  Not to say problems won’t happen in the future but right now it’s pretty much isolated cases that local security will have to manage.

As for early ticketing, you’re right, we got official word very late this window.  Part of it was ensuring crowds could come in.  But at the end of the day, the CSA has been very helpful in helping us secure the entire south end at BMO.  We need to have checks and balances that no away supporters get their hands on those tickets.  Learned a lot from ticketing this cycle.

In all fairness to the CSA, we were the 'away' section in that match.

And this marks the first (and only) time I have ever defended the 2000's CSA.

Edited by theaub