WCQ | Window 1 | Match Day 3: Canada vs El Salvador- Wednesday, Sept 8th, 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Toronto, BMO Field

Shway

52 minutes ago, lenny said:

I don't think so (that they'll park the bus).  El Salvador play a possession game and look to go forward. You have to go back to their Gold Cup game against Mexico to find an opponent that out-possessed them, and even then it wasn't by much.

They're a good team that are better than the sum of their parts.

They possessed the shit out of Qatar and nearly leveled that game had it not been for a possessed keeper👹

Can we squeeze another start out of Eustaquio and Johnston? 

If not then things get interesting. Would be a great game for something like ZBG to step in... coulda-woulda-shoulda.

Johnston and Laryea have played all the minutes. Not sure if Tajon will be disciplined enough as a pure RB. Not sure we have played with a 4-2-3-1 in a long time but this would pack the midfield. Piette sits in-front of the 4. 

Some options......

----------------David-------------

Hoilett-------Wotherspoon-----Osorio 

------------Hutch-----Piette----------

Adekugbe--Miller-Vitoria-Buchanan

--------------Borjan----------------

Don't think this is likely to happen because we haven't seen it. 

Or

3-5-2

---------David-------Hoilett-------

Adekugbe-Hutch-Wotherspoon-Osorio-Buchanan

--------Miller----Vitoria----Henry--------

---------------Borjan-----------------------------

I don't like Henry as a RCB. As we saw he works well in the middle of a 3 or in a 2 with a stay at home RB.

I would feel more comfortable in either case if Johnston is in as a RB or RCB. 

We have to win this game if we going to have any serious push qualifying. It’s time we show we belong with Mexico and usa against El Salvador. I can see us winning this game 2-0. Hopefully we don’t play to the same level as the team we play like how we usually do against lesser sides and treat El Salvador like seriously  dangerous team.

Edited by Canuckistan2019

4 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I’m already starting to think how this impacts BM releasing him for October, even if minor.  They can argue he’s not 100%.

He loves playing for Canada. We have to bank on that continuing. We might have to manage his minutes better in the future though. 

6 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

He loves playing for Canada. We have to bank on that continuing. We might have to manage his minutes better in the future though. 

If he is fine to play in October, then maybe he starts one game and comes on as a late sub in the other.

But, let's get serious here, we need to play a formation that gives us a better chance of keeping the ball for much longer spells AND involving more of our attacking players.  We cannot expect to find success down the left side with Davies all the freaking time. We need 3 CMs!  3-5-2 versus El Salvador.  We gain in terms of offense, variety and control, and we do not lose anything in defense. I can understand a 4-5-1 away, especially against Mexico, but at home vs. El Salvador, Panama, Jamaica and Costa Rica, we need 3-5-2.