WCQ | Window 1 | Match Day 3: Canada vs El Salvador- Wednesday, Sept 8th, 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Toronto, BMO Field

Shway

5 hours ago, jonovision said:

So, it's game day. How are we all feeling?

I'm slightly worried. El Salvador has been great defensively, and even though they haven't scored yet either, I worry Canada will get frustrated by ES' low block.

Our attack hasn't looked great either in a 3-4-3 which I assume Herdman will continue to use, although I hope we go 5-3-2.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Forty minutes of Wheeler in a sweater but not wearing socks was too much, I quit.

Even those chairs look dirty.

You get the feeling the producers must be real slobs.

Boho, Shabby Chic, a bit of Farmhouse even...it's the en vogue with interior design at the moment. I'd pin them as more "snob" than "slob". It's probably why Wheels mentioned he should have a whiskey, pipe, yada yada...almost as a bit of a dig to the set up...? At the same time he flashes his cankles like he's the coolest cat of them all. That style is a good 5 years off unless you're wearing a suit or live in the Keys 24/7. The combover is my biggest gripe, time to let it go man, because it's gone.

Flag Plan - Canada vs El Salvador

STEP UP AND TAKE CHARGE OF A FLAG

We have 200 flags ready. We need people to step and follow the plan below. We will distribute these across 112-115.

** No Flags During Run Of Play **
** Flags UP on goals **
** Help Us - Return flags to front **

First half
FLAGS UP - As players enter field
FLAGS DOWN - Anthems
FLAGS UP - Until Kick Off

Second Half
FLAGS UP - As players enter field
FLAGS UP - Until Kick Off
Do not share flags due to stadium Covid rules.

Would be nice if Canada had more soccer specific stadiums up to standard. There's just some games in Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal where it's just hard to create a good home field crowd.

Really have to "strategize" our home games. I love to watch games at BMO, but man that game against Jamaica? Keep that game the hell away from here. That's just asking for trouble.

28 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I'm slightly worried. El Salvador has been great defensively, and even though they haven't scored yet either, I worry Canada will get frustrated by ES' low block.

Our attack hasn't looked great either in a 3-4-3 which I assume Herdman will continue to use, although I hope we go 5-3-2.

Yeah, need possession in the middle in the final third so can get some through passes into the box. We must play uncomfortably close to their goal at the outset and make them uncomfortable, hopefully win some fouls. We need the three CMs to do that. If we keep going wide they'll just back up til we can't get behind them then push out. We need more variation in attack. If we can get a goal in the first half we can breathe easy. 🤞

2 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

Would be nice if Canada had more soccer specific stadiums up to standard. There's just some games in Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal where it's just hard to create a good home field crowd.

Really have to "strategize" our home games. I love to watch games at BMO, but man that game against Jamaica? Keep that game the hell away from here. That's just asking for trouble.

The game against Jamaica was the first Canada game in Toronto in almost a decade I think.

No way that happens again. 

All games will go to 2026 Host cities.

10 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Maybe I missed it but no one has mentioned the guy with the Don Cherry like Maple Leaf pants who was up cheering (just like Expos hat).  I think they looked something  like this (below) everybody should have a pair!

lPdvhGJ.jpg

We need way more of this.

Would like to see a sort of 'mackinaw' army, ala Bob & Doug.  We could patch whatever people bring to a pre game party and make it a Voyageurs item. 

Due to covid, the mackinaw pattern jacket I have was not available to do anything on scale for this round of qualifying. 

2 minutes ago, admin said:

The game against Jamaica was the first Canada game in Toronto in almost a decade I think.

All games will go to 2026 Host cities.

I don't know man. If El Salvador fans really show up today with a smaller population compared to Jamaican's in Toronto, then I think they for sure could fill the stadium up better

Btw, the Jamaica anthem that day was something else lol. Having the guy sing it and I think he purposely made it longer. Still haven't forgotten about that.

2 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

I don't know man. If El Salvador fans really show up today with a smaller population compared to Jamaican's in Toronto, then I think they for sure could fill the stadium up better

Btw, the Jamaica anthem that day was something else lol. Having the guy sing it and I think he purposely made it longer. Still haven't forgotten about that.

I am not saying they are not going to come to the game, I am just saying we are going to fill the south end vs the 3 sections we had as our first game doing things this way.

Yes, they will show up, but there is no comparison to the Canadian crowd now vs 2008

40 minutes ago, admin said:

Would like to see a sort of 'mackinaw' army, ala Bob & Doug.  We could patch whatever people bring to a pre game party and make it a Voyageurs item. 

Due to covid, the mackinaw pattern jacket I have was not available to do anything on scale for this round of qualifying. 

Let’s go!

BA75E828-B4A0-4E6C-A846-07A0623F9CFD.jpeg

35 minutes ago, admin said:

Hmm, didnt know thats what it was called.  In manitoba we just called it our Sunday best.  

I feel like we are not as confident as we should be on this thread. Without Davies I still think we are way better on paper. We have the home crowd, yes there will be a lot of El Salvador fans but if we have a crowd similar to last Thursday, they won't be noticeable. We need to start out WAY better then last home game. We need to play better and create more chances. I have 2-0 Canada goals by Larin and David. I felt David played his best soccer last year when Lille needed 3 points down the stretch, expect a big game from 20!

1 hour ago, admin said:

It was also an overwhelmingly Canadian crowd. The Jamaicans in attendance all stood out in their bright yellow attire, but they made up a quarter of the fans in the stands. Listen to the noise when Canada was attacking, it was loud (unfortunately there wasn't many highlights of when Jamaica attacked, but while it paled compared to the Canadian fans it was still easily louder than any away support we've ever had in Toronto).

Aside from the potato quality highlights, the Super Canucks banner is in the wrong end of the stadium. 

EDIT: In case anyone thinks I'm crazy, here's the post-game thread from that game 13 years ago. Tons of posts mentioning how awesome the crowd was.

Even Cathal Kelly wrote lovingly about the crowd support.

1 hour ago, admin said:

Just to give out some ideas, here is where I found the pants.  They have predominantly red with white maple leafs, combo red and white, and my personal favourite the predominantly white with red maple leafs.

I find the women's skort quite fetching.

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

15 minutes ago, BigMo said:

Hope this caption doesn't suggest some change room tension.... Last thing we need before this game.

I will continue with my assumption that this (and most) athlete social media feeds are handled by some social media team that don't think enough about what and when they post. 

3 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Because long time Canadian fans know not to get overconfident, we've been burned too many times before.  Also a tragic mistake to overestimate yourself and underestimate your opponent.

This is a new ERA for Canada soccer. This is not like the other WCQ cycles. This is a team that is built differently mentally and more talented. I agree not underestimate opponents but you can be confident and not underestimate at same time.