WCQ | Window 1 | Match Day 3: Canada vs El Salvador- Wednesday, Sept 8th, 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Toronto, BMO Field

Shway

Just now, theaub said:

El Salvador +0.5 is paying 2 to 1 for anyone who thinks we're not winning.

I'm honestly always down for some emotional hedging bets, where I put money on the result I don't want so that if we win great! But if we don't at least I made some money so I can drink my feelings away. 

I'm going to relay a bit of info I learned from a commenter on (I think) wakingthered a few years ago.

El Salvadorian is not the correct term. It's "Salvadoran". Doing a bit of digging it turns out "Salvadorian" or "Salvadorean" is also used, but it seems "Salvadoran" is the best term. Either way, it's definitely not "El Salvadorian", drop the El at least.

This has probably been posted already but ES started the same lineup two games in a row. Their starters are all gonna be tired, either they rotate or have a bunch of gassed players trying to chase down the ball all game. They’re even more screwed if those rumours about players missing are true at all. 

I’d assume Atiba, David, and Buchanan all start this one. 

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I'm going to relay a bit of info I learned from a commenter on (I think) wakingthered a few years ago.

El Salvadorian is not the correct term. It's "Salvadoran". Doing a bit of digging it turns out "Salvadorian" or "Salvadorean" is also used, but it seems "Salvadoran" is the best term. Either way, it's definitely not "El Salvadorian", drop the El at least.

It’s only Salvadoran if it comes from the Salvadoran region of France. If it doesn’t it’s Sparkling Team Who’s Getting Stomped Tomorrow. 

8 minutes ago, Bdog said:

This has probably been posted already but ES started the same lineup two games in a row. Their starters are all gonna be tired, either they rotate or have a bunch of gassed players trying to chase down the ball all game. They’re even more screwed if those rumours about players missing are true at all. 

I’d assume Atiba, David, and Buchanan all start this one. 

we need to keep possession as much as possible and let ES chase the ball. I think without Phonzie we will play with an extra mid (I hope) which should help in possession.

8 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

For the love of god we must improve our set pieces for this match. I’d love to see some trickery from us for once. 

Keep the trickery out of it for now, I'd be happy with a body or two obstructing the keeper and a ball in that's worth a damn.

Edited by Cheeta

7 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Keep the trickery out of it for now, I'd be happy with a body or two obstructing the keeper and a ball in that's worth a damn.

I actually think the opposite.  Rather than try to master set pieces on the next 24 hrs, I would rather we largely abandon a failing strategy and use short corners as much as the defending team allows us to.  

7 hours ago, canuckgbp said:

Can we squeeze another start out of Eustaquio and Johnston? 

If not then things get interesting. Would be a great game for something like ZBG to step in... coulda-woulda-shoulda.

Johnston and Laryea have played all the minutes. Not sure if Tajon will be disciplined enough as a pure RB. Not sure we have played with a 4-2-3-1 in a long time but this would pack the midfield. Piette sits in-front of the 4. 

Some options......

----------------David-------------

Hoilett-------Wotherspoon-----Osorio 

------------Hutch-----Piette----------

Adekugbe--Miller-Vitoria-Buchanan

--------------Borjan----------------

Don't think this is likely to happen because we haven't seen it. 

Or

3-5-2

---------David-------Hoilett-------

Adekugbe-Hutch-Wotherspoon-Osorio-Buchanan

--------Miller----Vitoria----Henry--------

---------------Borjan-----------------------------

I don't like Henry as a RCB. As we saw he works well in the middle of a 3 or in a 2 with a stay at home RB.

I would feel more comfortable in either case if Johnston is in as a RB or RCB. 

Not gonna happen. If our best are ready, they'll play. We're not here to appease Piette or Wotherspoon. 

If they get late minutes it'll be a good sign. 

3 hours ago, Kent said:

Salvadoreño. 

28 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Not gonna happen. If our best are ready, they'll play. We're not here to appease Piette or Wotherspoon. 

If they get late minutes it'll be a good sign. 

I agree. Eustaquio, Laryea and Johnston have played all the minutes though. How much gas do they have left? I think Eustaquio and Johnston basically have to play but if not I think those two lineups gives us the best chance. 

Hopefully they are good to go.