GC: Canada vs Martinique - Sunday, July 11th, 6:30pm Eastern / 3:30pm Pacific Kansas City

1 minute ago, Grandbloke said:

I think Wheeler pronounced the player’s name correctly. His name is Kévin Fortuné.

https://www.footmercato.net/selection/martinique/effectif/

YES!

SUCK IT!

Edit: I will be accepting apologies on behalf of Wheels in written form only.  Please address them to GreatestPxPEver@gmail.com.

Edited by El Hombre

I will be happy to never see this ref again. I missed the Martinique goal because I was still cooking dinner because the Euro final went that extra hour so don’t know what happened there other than it sounds like some horrible back pass went awry but actually think overcoming a bit of adversity early on is a good thing for this team that hadn’t been trailing in a match since sometime before the pandemic. I wish we could have been a bit more clinical in front of goal though, goal difference could be a factor win the group And it seem that way too often we kept making the wrong decision of who to pass to or whether or not to shoot

1 minute ago, Free kick said:

I really hate criticizing here broadcasters or personalities in the mainstream media.   Mainly because I think that a lot of the criticism is trivial and that that’s a job that someone has to do to earn a a living.  
but I heard things said in the broadcast that were incorrect.  

i hear ya. my take is that if it was on CBC for free i wouldn't think much of it. but when you're running a pay-per-view subscription network you should at least get some better quality than that. maybe a "soccer iq test" before a guy gets hired or something 😂.

1 minute ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

i hear ya. my take is that if it was on CBC for free i wouldn't think much of it. but when you're running a pay-per-view subscription network you should at least get some better quality than that. maybe a "soccer iq test" before a guy gets hired or something 😂.

<TaylorSwift>Haters gonna hate hate hate....</TaylorSwift>

So the good news is that we got the win, we showed the attacking class we all know we have, we didn’t panic when we went down to an early goal, and the game we got from Tajon shows just how much potential he has.   That kid is friggin dangerous.  

The not so good is that we can’t seem to exorcise those silly mistakes that keep being costly, we lost urgency (or efficacy) when we still needed to pad goal differential, we got a ton of yellows (even though a number were unwarranted) and we had stretches where we looked defensively frail against a relatively weak team.  A better team would have punished us multiple times for being so careless and that level of play won’t be good enough later in this competition.

Hopefully this is just first game jitters. Mexico showed yesterday that it can be hard to find the killer instinct right out of the gates.  Having said that, we have played competitive games recently so we shouldn’t be rusty at this point.  Despite the scoreline, I was hoping to see a more assured performance all over the pitch (and over 90 minutes).   The level of play we saw tonight definitely won’t be enough to win this tournament.  

That dribble by Buchanan on the sideline was ridiculous. I’ve never seen a Canadian player play with the confidence and flair he does. 

We definitely looked rusty. Nowhere near the level of sharpness we showed vs Suriname and Haiti but this was the first game so hopefully we grow. So many errant passes from both sides but we seemed to play down to their level ... we could have punished them more.

Tough to argue with the fact that Davies and Buchanan are our two best wingers. We need Laryea to step it up and show the same incisiveness that he did for TFC last season.

Edited by CanadaFan123

If there is one thing about tournament football, it’s not how you start, it’s how you finish.  To win the first match by 4-1 is pretty good; yeah performance could have been better at both ends.  But if we make the quarters, it won’t matter if it’s Jamaica or Costa Rica - both will be tough.  One step at a time folks.  To me, this is about building depth for the Ocho.

30 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

I mean Davies is not bad either.

No doubt but I’m talking flair. Davies is shifty and a great dribbler but Buchanan pulls off some pretty neymar like dribbling. We’ve never seen Davies pull something like Tajon did on the sideline.