2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

24 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

The ‘actual’ World Cup in the centre makes it look ten times worse for some reason.  Looks like those South Park cartoons that use real photos to replace heads of characters.

image.jpeg

Great visual

CAF always seemed like the most challenging qualification, and frankly the new format still is really hard.  Previously you had to win your group and win a playoff, but now you simply need to win a group of six, with a playoff for the best four runners-up (if I read correctly).  There is very little room for error.  Continents that have spots for runners-up or more (like CONCACAF) allow for some slip-ups.  CAF: not so much.

• 4 weeks later...

In his spiel to Vancouver's Board of Trade last week, Mont Vic says Canada will play in both cities, Vancouver will get at least 5 matches overall but likely more given more matches added and there will be big countries in town that have real football tradition.

Scheduling likely to be centred aroun 3 city pods. Vancouver likely grouped with Seattle & San Fran. Toronto likely connected with NYC & Philly.

https://www.blogto.com/sports_play/2023/06/toronto-likely-share-canadas-matches-vancouver-2026-world-cup/

44 minutes ago, red card said:

In his spiel to Vancouver's Board of Trade last week, Mont Vic says Canada will play in both cities, Vancouver will get at least 5 matches overall but likely more given more matches added and there will be big countries in town that have real football tradition.

Scheduling likely to be centred aroun 3 city pods. Vancouver likely grouped with Seattle & San Fran. Toronto likely connected with NYC & Philly.

https://www.blogto.com/sports_play/2023/06/toronto-likely-share-canadas-matches-vancouver-2026-world-cup/

Then I don't mind

On 6/18/2023 at 9:19 AM, Jedi Ram said:

I registered my interest because I really wanna see some games come 2026

• 3 weeks later...

This looks like a planted story to serve some alternate agenda.   People like the current mayor and her ilk do not want to have anything to do with FIFA and any of these organizations and would love to control things like this event.  So it would seem ideal to arrange something with a group (who is from a different ideological bend) to set up conditions or slant the dialogue to either cancel the event or pressure FIFA.  

Edited by Free kick

11 hours ago, Free kick said:

This looks like a planted story to serve some alternate agenda.   People like the current mayor and her ilk do not want to have anything to do with FIFA and any of these organizations and would love to control things like this event.  So it would seem ideal to arrange something with a group (who is from a different ideological bend) to set up conditions or slant the dialogue to either cancel the event or pressure FIFA.  

The Canadian Tax Payers Federation are not Olivia Chow fans.

They are a right wing astroturf organization. 

That being said if you take off your soccer fan glasses the current deal is bs. Totally slanted in MLSE's favour. Which speaks more about the corrupt John Tory regime. 

Edited by narduch