2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

The argument appears to be that it's OK for CSB to profit off the CMNT making it to World Cup finals because they invested early in Canadian soccer and now get to reap the rewards.

BMO Field only happened because MLSE were willing to invest in it after the Argos bailed on the 2007 U-20 World Cup stadium project. That investment went along with starting TFC at a time when MLS was still struggling and ploughing huge sums into the academy setup at Downsview way before the CSB deal ever happened.

Either it's OK for the early adopters to be able to cash in or it isn't. Which one is it? Personally I'm skeptical that any sweetheart deal received from Canada's political elite would be done primarily for soccer related reasons. Could easily be linked to MLSE taking on the Argos as a charity case to prop up Canada's pointyball league.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

5 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The argument appears to be that it's OK for CSB to profit off the CMNT making it to World Cup finals because they invested early in Canadian soccer and now get to reap the rewards.

BMO Field only happened because MLSE were willing to invest in it after the Argos bailed on the 2007 U-20 World Cup stadium project. That investment went along with starting TFC at a time when MLS was still struggling and ploughing huge sums into the academy setup at Downsview way before the CSB deal ever happened.

Either its OK for the early adopters to be able to cash in or it isn't. Which one is it? Personally I'm skeptical that any sweetheart deal received from Canada's political elite would be done primarily for soccer related reasons. Could easily be linked to MLSE taking on the Argos as a charity case to prop up Canada's pointyball league.

Sorry, but I had to laugh when you portrayed MLSE as the lynchpin in the BMO field deal.  After laughing at your usual contortionist moves to link everything back to the evil of the CSB.  What do you do for a living, in real life...are you actually a contortionist?  Maybe a juggler, or something else employed in a circus...you have a gift.

Anyone that wants facts on the origins of BMO field, who paid for what, and who got what out of it, can easily find same.  And now back to ignoring, it's better for me.

25 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I think you'll find many people are equally unhappy with the CSB deal.

59 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

People are just asking for balanced coverage.

This isn't the either or scenario you make it out to be.

1 hour ago, eramosat said:

This latest flurry of news reminds me why I could care less about Canada's lack of world-class soccer venues. 

(1) Because venues like that are usually paid for by governments and then usurped by private interests.  it's a complete waste of $$ when thinking about what really matters for citizen constituents.  How has it come to this?

(2) Because plenty of other places already have the venues, so the sporting spectacle will go on.  I don't have much self-esteem invested in hosting duties, and especially one-offs...like the World Cup of men's football.  

The fact that we are co-hosting a World Cup but will not even have any major infrastructure to show for it afterwards is a major missed opportunity. 

A bunch of training centres is window dressing.

Should be building a permanent expanded stadium. Say about 50,000 capacity. 

TFC doesn't need it because after years of mismanagement and gouging they figured 30k is all they need.

But if they had ambitious owners like Seattle or Atlanta they could have been competing with them for high attendance numbers

15 minutes ago, narduch said:

The fact that we are co-hosting a World Cup but will not even have any major infrastructure to show for it afterwards is a major missed opportunity. 

A bunch of training centres is window dressing.

Should be building a permanent expanded stadium. Say about 50,000 capacity. 

TFC doesn't need it because after years of mismanagement and gouging they figured 30k is all they need.

But if they had ambitious owners like Seattle or Atlanta they could have been competing with them for high attendance numbers

We're getting this instead

Central Stadium (Yekaterinburg) - Wikipedia

My bad...

Whatever this is - temporarily

Renderings released for BMO Field's 2026 World Cup expansion : r/MLS

Star says not a final contract, but the leaked LOI states MLSE will get 50% of net revenue from local World Cup licensing & commercial rights up to $10m. Any amounts greater is split 60/40 in the city's favour. MLSE isn't liable for any costs.

City pays for $25m stadium upgrades. MLSE serves as project manager but not responsible for missing any deadlines, cost overruns and problems with the upgrade. MLSE can't include a profit margin for being the PM but can charge $150/hr for promotional, marketing & branding services rendered.

City pays MLSE for any revenue lost due to displacing the company, Argos & TFC for at least 6 weeks. City pays MLSE for any penalties incurred from not being able to use MLSE suppliers and sponsors during the World Cup because of FIFA rules. 

City doesn't have in-house expertise is largely why MLSE gets a good deal. City estimated GDP is $307m while estimated cost for 5 matches is $300m. City expects provincial & federal monies but none announced yet.

5 minutes ago, red card said:

City doesn't have in-house expertise is largely why MLSE gets a good deal. City estimated GDP is $307m while estimated cost for 5 matches is $300m. City expects provincial & federal monies but none announced yet.

The mayor having an affair with one of the MLSE negotiators among his other Conflicts of Interests probably didn't help either 

2 hours ago, eramosat said:

Sorry, but I had to laugh when you portrayed MLSE as the lynchpin in the BMO field deal.  After laughing at your usual contortionist moves to link everything back to the evil of the CSB.  What do you do for a living, in real life...are you actually a contortionist?  Maybe a juggler, or something else employed in a circus...you have a gift.

Anyone that wants facts on the origins of BMO field, who paid for what, and who got what out of it, can easily find same.  

Why the personal attacks?

And the exaggeration. MLSE paid $18 million of the $63 million original (2007 stadium) cost - and all the O&M costs - even though the city retains ownership. Then they paid 100% of the $5.5 million upgrades in 2010, and $140 million of the $150 million spent or the 2015-2016 upgrades (the other $10 million came from the Argos - since purchased by MLSE).

Would they have built BMO Field without MLSE jumping in and providing the main tenant? I don't think we know. If it was just for the U-20, they could have used Skydome back then.

18 hours ago, eramosat said:

Anyone that wants facts on the origins of BMO field, who paid for what, and who got what out of it, can easily find same.  And now back to ignoring, it's better for me.

Except MLSE was the lynchpin in the BMO Field deal. As @nfitz correctly points out, there is no BMO Field without MLSE.

It was a huge topic of discussion on this board when it was happening, but the passage of time seems to have dulled some memories.

MLSE are the complete picture of corporate Canada: the good, the bad and the (sometimes very) ugly. But the fact remains that there is no stadium without their involvement. They certainly didn't get into it for altruistic reasons — it made good business sense in the beginning and still does.

35 minutes ago, RS said:

Weird how the one asshole accuses me of being a shill when you literally spend all your time in here and on Twitter defending CSB to the fucking hilt and he says nothing.

Yeah the truth hurts. You're both dickheads.

Jodie Whittaker Ok GIF by Doctor Who

I actually went back on my post on the matter and I didn't attack MLSE (they negotiated for this - good for them), my issue is with Tory (obvious conflict of interest)

now now... No need to get triggered over this, breathe, MLSE will be fine but I do admire the passion when it's time to defend them

Breathe Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Edited by Ansem

18 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I actually went back on my post on the matter and I didn't attack MLSE (they negotiated for this - good for them), my issue is with Tory (obvious conflict of interest)

WTF are you on about? I never said you attacked MLSE and I wouldn't care if you did. And John Tory's a dipshit who deserves all the hate he gets and more, so please continue in that regard.

18 minutes ago, Ansem said:

now now... No need to get triggered over this, breathe, MLSE will be fine but I do admire the passion when it's time to defend them

You posted a silly GIF about how "the truth hurts" when I told narduch to fuck off for his unprovoked personal attack on me, but please lecture me more on how I'm being triggered after you decided to pile on.

As I stated very clearly, MLSE didn't save BMO Field out of altruistic intent, it was simply good business. But anyone who actually followed the saga of the National Soccer Stadium knows that MLSE did save the entire project from falling apart.

So there's no need for you passive-aggressive bullshit. No one is defending MLSE, unless you mean "bringing actual fact into the discussion," which @nfitz did first and then I backed him up on. Even Ozzie spoke factually on it, in his own charming style.

2 minutes ago, RS said:

WTF are you on about? I never said you attacked MLSE and I wouldn't care if you did. And John Tory's a dipshit who deserves all the hate he gets and more, so please continue in that regard.

4 minutes ago, RS said:

As I stated very clearly, MLSE didn't save BMO Field out of altruistic intent, it was simply good business. But anyone who actually followed the saga of the National Soccer Stadium knows that MLSE did save the entire project from falling apart.

We agree, condemning them on that would make me an hypocrite to defend CSB using the same argument. I see the upsides of MLSE being involved with BMO which is exaclty why my criticism is solely with Tory - not them

6 minutes ago, RS said:

So there's no need for you passive-aggressive bullshit. No one is defending MLSE, unless you mean "bringing actual fact into the discussion," which @nfitz did first and then I backed him up on. Even Ozzie spoke factually on it, in his own charming style.

3 minutes ago, RS said:

You posted a silly GIF about how "the truth hurts" when I told narduch to fuck off for his unprovoked personal attack on me, but please lecture me more on how I'm being triggered after you decided to pile on.

I can see that your previous views on other matters might have been perceived as double standard and it was called out. Fair, you didn't appreciate the gif, the jokes and poking at you. You voiced it, you're heard and I'm sure there's no intent to personally attack you.

However, understand that you've done some of what you're complaining about yourself. I'm all for going back to a respectful discussion

20 hours ago, narduch said:

While I know what you're saying, I'd counter that we're co-hosting BECAUSE there's no major infrastructure to build. We were sitting at only 2 venues even being interested until very late in the process as it was. If major infrastructure was required, I'm not sure we would have even had that.

20 hours ago, narduch said:

Man, as a Whitecaps fan I *wish* had owners as "unambitious" as MLSE.

19 hours ago, red card said:

City estimated GDP is $307m while estimated cost for 5 matches is $300m. 

I find the cost estimate staggering.  It's $25 million for physical stadium upgrades, fine, but then what's the remaining $275 million for?  I understand there's some stadium staffing and so on, but $55 million per game?  That's well over $1000 per fan per match.  Does everyone get free booze and their own personal butler?

15 minutes ago, Califax said:

Love exploring why the World Cup thread is popping off only to find numerous defenders of unlimited 3rd party election spending. 

Had to double check that I wasn't on a GOP subreddit for a minute. 

The point of the law was to suppress union voices during the election.

And it worked.

And it was found to be unconstitutional afterwards.

Ford is a massive corrupt piece of shit. If you disagree you are either a fucking idiot or probably benefit directly from the corruption.

14 minutes ago, Kingston said:

I find the cost estimate staggering.  It's $25 million for physical stadium upgrades, fine, but then what's the remaining $275 million for?  I understand there's some stadium staffing and so on, but $55 million per game?  That's well over $1000 per fan per match.  Does everyone get free booze and their own personal butler?

Well they have committed to building 2 training centers too. But that might only be about $10-20 million.

I'm guessing the bulk of it is security and other logistics 

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

The point of the law was to suppress union voices during the election.

And it worked.

And it was found to be unconstitutional afterwards.

Ford is a massive corrupt piece of shit. If you disagree you are either a fucking idiot or probably benefit directly from the corruption.

Do i still get to be a fucking idiot if I benefit from the "corruption"?

I just want to understand my options before I choose.