2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

17 hours ago, Kingston said:

According to this list on Wikipedia, only one team has an official soccer capacity above 40 000.  There are about half a dozen that play in NFL/CFL stadia that could (and sometimes do) go over 40 000 if they wished.  But two thirds of the league have capacities of 25 000 or less.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer#Teams

Canada needs a national stadium. Grass ( hybrid ) and with enough seats to host WC games. If we want to compete at this level we need them.  No more temp seating. 

My guess and it's only that is that MLSE isn't keen on adding more supporters section capacity because keeping that relatively limited forces people into the more expensive sections. Given the way the stadium is configured and the need to accomdate the Argos any permanent expansion for 2026 is likely to add most of the new seats to the supporters section where the Yekaterinburg style temporary seating is currently going to go. If they were still drawing 20 to 25k that could start to hit their overall ticket revenue. No chance of seeing Toronto's answer to Dortmund's "yellow wall" any time soon in other words. 

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

6 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Not sure what size you are referring to but I believe most on here would think we need a proper stadium that seats 40 -  50 thousand.  If we truly a soccer nation and are going to play tier one opponents I’d rather do it in a legitimate stadium.

Are we truly a soccer nation, though?  Certainly a lot of young people seem to be playing soccer.  But in terms of people watching the sport of soccer?  I'm not so sure.  

The two major sports networks (and the publicly owned CBC) don't seem to think so.  Look at the current Nations League tournament.  None of these networks have picked it up. That suggests to me that the viewership just isn't there.

Canada is obviously a hockey nation.  And a basketball nation.  And a baseball nation.  And a CFL nation.  And an NFL nation.  And even a curling nation.   But a soccer nation?  I don't know.

16 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Not sure what size you are referring to but I believe most on here would think we need a proper stadium that seats 40 -  50 thousand.  If we truly a soccer nation and are going to play tier one opponents I’d rather do it in a legitimate stadium.

Yeah, I don’t think when Colonel Green says “anybody” they mean anybody here on this forum, or anybody as in a country with global soccer ambitions. I took it to mean any club or city in Canada currently, and sadly I agree. Canadians generally (with some exceptions obviously) do not jump into things with both feet, either as fans or investors, so I thank god for the investors we have already who are willing to take losses for long term gain. But even yesterday at the PFC game my friend and I were speculating about, even with a new fourth stand at Starlight which they will put in this year at some point, whether the fans in Victoria will fill it. I hope so and will be happy to see it, but my Canadian conservatism means I’m not sure I’d put money on it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2023 at 10:22 AM, shorty said:

Yeah, I don’t think when Colonel Green says “anybody” they mean anybody here on this forum, or anybody as in a country with global soccer ambitions. I took it to mean any club or city in Canada currently, and sadly I agree. Canadians generally (with some exceptions obviously) do not jump into things with both feet, either as fans or investors, so I thank god for the investors we have already who are willing to take losses for long term gain. But even yesterday at the PFC game my friend and I were speculating about, even with a new fourth stand at Starlight which they will put in this year at some point, whether the fans in Victoria will fill it. I hope so and will be happy to see it, but my Canadian conservatism means I’m not sure I’d put money on it. 

You need an awfully good, solid fiscal deal, on paper, to attempt to make $$ on soccer in Canada.  At any level and sex, including the Nationals, who seem to want to be paid to play quite a bit more than I myself would have counted on.

On 4/16/2023 at 12:29 AM, Goal_Kick said:

Are we truly a soccer nation, though?  Certainly a lot of young people seem to be playing soccer.  But in terms of people watching the sport of soccer?  I'm not so sure.  

The two major sports networks (and the publicly owned CBC) don't seem to think so.  Look at the current Nations League tournament.  None of these networks have picked it up. That suggests to me that the viewership just isn't there.

Canada is obviously a hockey nation.  And a basketball nation.  And a baseball nation.  And a CFL nation.  And an NFL nation.  And even a curling nation.   But a soccer nation?  I don't know.

Abacus fandom survey from last year says we are certainly a NHL nation and a NFL/CFL nation. Then, NBA, MLB, soccer & tennis have similar levels of big to casual fans.

The difference is soccer fandom is spread across many leagues and tourneys with many having no physical presence in Canada while almost all others are just focused on 1 league with teams in Canada.

Fragmented viewership in non prime time means soccer isn't optimized for ad supported, declining subscriber base of linear tv ex the biggest tourneys. Anything else that is shown needs to be available on the cheap/free, deliver corporate synergies and/or help elevate corporate branding/values.

Narrow casting has shown it works better for a streaming business model. So, the sport most focused on by streamers available in Canada is soccer. Now today, we have the most soccer available to watch ever with about 70%+ on non-Canadian owned streaming services

Slide5-1.jpg

Edited by red card

2 hours ago, red card said:

The difference is soccer fandom is spread across many leagues and tourneys with many having no physical presence in Canada while almost all others are just focused on 1 league with teams in Canada.

That's a perceptive comment.  And one I hadn't thought of.

And thanks for the graph - I found the results quite interesting (and surprising).

Edited by Goal_Kick

• 2 weeks later...

Logo could be a lot better but it has been a very long time since I've been here. Very very long but in all honesty seeing as how Qatar is over and the World Cup is in our backyard, being a Toronto local, would I have to go through Ticketmaster's app to get tickets for 2026? Or would I have to go through FIFA themselves to try to get tickets like will it be a random lottery? 

But now as far as the 26 man squad, who I think makes the cut? If I had to build a squad in 3 years time as a brainstorm exercise as a fun exercise, this would he my squad for our home World Cup

- GK- Dayne St Clair (29 years old) (starter), Maxime Crepeau (32 years old) (#2 keeper), Jonathan Sirois (25 years old) (#3 keeper)

- RB- Alistair Johnston (27 years old), Ritchie Laryea (32 years old)

- CB- Kamal Miller (29 years old), Derek Cornelius  (29 years old), Scott Kennedy (29 years old), Joel Waterman (31 years old), Karifa Yao (26 years old)

- LB- Alphonso Davies (26 years old), Samuel Adekugbe (32 years old)

- CDM- Justin Smith (23 years old), Samuel Piette (32 years old)

- CM- Stephen Eustaquio (30 years old), Ismael Kone (24 years old), Jayden Nelson (24 years old), Jonathan Osorio (34 years old)

- RW- Tajon Buchanan (27 years old), Luca Koleosho (22 years old)

- LW- Theo Corbeanu (24 years old), Liam Millar (26 years old), Sean Rea (24 years old)

- ST- Jonathan David (26 years old), Cyle Larin (31 years old), Ike Ugbo (28 years old)

Starting XI I would go with: 4-3-3 formation

- GK- Dayne St Clair (starting goalkeeper) (29)
- LB- Alphonso Davies (26)
- CB- Kamal Miller (29)
- CB- Derek Cornelius (29)
- RB- Alistair Johnston (27)
- CM- Stephen Eustaquio (30) (captain)
- CDM- Justin Smith (23)
- CM- Ismael Kone (24)
- LW- Theo Corbeanu (24)
- RW- Tajon Buchanan (27)
- ST- Jonathan David (26)

1 hour ago, MtlMario said:

I wonder how much FIFA paid the "creative mind" that designed it.😁

FIFA said the design process for this base logo was led by their own in-house brand team, with input from a number of consulting agencies.

They wanted to create a system that could be reused in future tournaments and feel “iconic” to all age groups.

There will be variations of the logo where the “26” is divided into 16 grids, representing the 16 host cities, and further iterations where the numbers contain 48 panels, representing the teams. FIFA has also created unique color palettes and design inserts for each host city. 

To represent three fairly different cultures in one logo is a tall task. We'll need to see the entire branding system.

Edited by red card

5 hours ago, red card said:

FIFA said the design process for this base logo was led by their own in-house brand team, with input from a number of consulting agencies.

They wanted to create a system that could be reused in future tournaments and feel “iconic” to all age groups.

There will be variations of the logo where the “26” is divided into 16 grids, representing the 16 host cities, and further iterations where the numbers contain 48 panels, representing the teams. FIFA has also created unique color palettes and design inserts for each host city. 

To represent three fairly different cultures in one logo is a tall task. We'll need to see the entire branding system.

You have to see the applications and variations to be able to judge it.

For me you normally want some contrast and not based on having the trophy in the middle, contrasting in the numbers and letters themselves.

If everyone likes it it only means it's about a decade or three outdated, because that is what public opinion does with public design, judge based on past familiarity. This is why market surveys are unreliable for innovative design, because the market never anticipates anything.