2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

16 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Article is behind a paywall for me, but why should MLSE bear any of the WC hosting costs?  What's the controversy here?

Try this

https://archive.is/08hS7

*The controversy is that deal was done under former mayor John Tory who was a paid employee of Rogers (who owns 37.5% of MLSE) putting the city on the hook for all the costs with all the risks while putting the city under severe austerity which has tanked the city services and TTC.

Oh and it seems that he was banging someone working on the deal  - hence his resignation? Saw that he got her a job at MLSE on social media. (I might have that part not entirely right)

Where to start with the conflict of interest while Torontonians will pay for this while the city has a $1.7B buget gap

Edited by Ansem

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

Lol at calls for the RCMP.

That's not how Canada works.

Ontario has the most corrupt Premier ever and nothing will be done about it.

I posted the link only - nothing will happen to Tory like you said, mission accomplished for him in selling out the city

1 hour ago, Ivan said:

Article is behind a paywall for me, but why should MLSE bear any of the WC hosting costs?  What's the controversy here?

I think the controversy is that MLSE is not footing any of the bill (which makes sense as they don't own the stadium) but in addition to compensation for missing game dates (which possibly makes sense as they have a rental contract), MLSE is getting half the revenue from the World Cup events (which doesn't seem fair).

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

Like clockwork...

Its either that or defending TFC from any criticism 

Is this supposed to be some sort of gotcha? You mentioned me first for zero reason.

And I’m not defending anyone, I’m simply telling you to fuck off. I can do it again if you’d like.

Now go ahead and resume acting smug about journalists while you continue to [checks notes] discuss multiple reports from the Toronto Star. Or maybe share your line of work so I can call all of those workers pieces of shit.

2 minutes ago, RS said:

Is this supposed to be some sort of gotcha? You mentioned me first for zero reason.

And I’m not defending anyone, I’m simply telling you to fuck off. I can do it again if you’d like.

Now go ahead and resume acting smug about journalists while you continue to [checks notes] discuss multiple reports from the Toronto Star. Or maybe share your line of work so I can call all of those workers pieces of shit.

You started it with your Westhead comment that was totally unnecessary that added zero to the discussion and completely glosses over the obvious hypocrisy.

Just now, narduch said:

You started it with your Westhead comment that was totally unnecessary that added zero to the discussion and completely glosses over the obvious hypocrisy.

Seriously. Fuck off. Don’t make personal remarks and expect it just to slide.

I couldn’t give a shit about what Westhead is doing or not doing, unlike far too many people in here. All I said is that he lives rent-free in too many peoples heads, which is absolutely true.

So does Ozzie, by the way.

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

This isn't even funny as a joke.

Ford is the most brazenly corrupt premier ever. Its not even debatable.

I won't respond past this because I don't want to derail the thread.

I'm no fan of Ford's greenbelt plans or some of his other actions.  That said, McGuinty bought elections by signing grossly inflated contracts for teachers and civil servants that continue to cost taxpayers double digit billions in unnecessary wages every single year.  Again, I'm not a huge Ford fan but his downside actions are trivial in comparison.

But back to soccer...

Just now, Kingston said:

I'm no fan of Ford's greenbelt plans or some of his other actions.  That said, McGuinty bought elections by signing grossly inflated contracts for teachers and civil servants that continue to cost taxpayers double digit billions in unnecessary wages every single year.  Again, I'm not a huge Ford fan but his downside actions are trivial in comparison.

But back to soccer...

Ah so you're a teacher hater.

No wonder you don't see Ford's corruption. It is way worse. Not even close.

4 minutes ago, RS said:

Seriously. Fuck off. Don’t make personal remarks and expect it just to slide.

I couldn’t give a shit about what Westhead is doing or not doing, unlike far too many people in here. All I said is that he lives rent-free in too many peoples heads, which is absolutely true.

So does Ozzie, by the way.

Make a stupid comment then get upset when you are called out for it

5 minutes ago, Kingston said:

But back to soccer...

So he is corrupt for paying people appropriate wages?  

This latest flurry of news reminds me why I could care less about Canada's lack of world-class soccer venues. 

(1) Because venues like that are usually paid for by governments and then usurped by private interests.  it's a complete waste of $$ when thinking about what really matters for citizen constituents.  How has it come to this?

(2) Because plenty of other places already have the venues, so the sporting spectacle will go on.  I don't have much self-esteem invested in hosting duties, and especially one-offs...like the World Cup of men's football.