2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

57 minutes ago, narduch said:

The point of the law was to suppress union voices during the election.

And it worked.

And it was found to be unconstitutional afterwards.

Ford is a massive corrupt piece of shit. If you disagree you are either a fucking idiot or probably benefit directly from the corruption.

You mentioned you are a teacher.

This was an excerpt from your lectures in Civics and Citizenship, wasn't it? 😁

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

You mentioned you are a teacher.

This was an excerpt from your lectures in Civics and Citizenship, wasn't it? 😁

I'm not a teacher. I'm an engineer.

I do enjoy the hypocrisy of right wing morons being OK with corruption and trampling on our constitutional rights as long as their guy is in power 

Edited by narduch

37 minutes ago, narduch said:

I'm not a teacher. I'm an engineer.

I do enjoy the hypocrisy of right wing morons being OK with corruption and trampling on our constitutional rights as long as their guy is in power 

Being OK with corruption and trampling on constitutional rights is clearly not a right- or left-wing problem in Canada, but either way yes Ford is beyond terrible. I don't think anyone here disagrees, so which morons are you directing your anger to exactly?

Actually, don't answer that. Let's move on from politics and talk about how terrible the BMO expansion plans are instead. If it's venting anger you're into, there's plenty wrong with it you can get upset about!

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, narduch said:

For what it's worth, I believe that organizations pooling and collectively spending millions of dollars to influence an election, should be illegal. Corporations, Unions, whatever. If you think that's a right - left issue, you don't pay attention to politics at all.

Stop name calling over a difference of opinion. It makes you look dumb when you're clearly not. 

Back to actual news regarding the 2026 WC

Source: City of Toronto, MLSE draft deal protecting company from 2026 World Cup losses | CBC News

quote #1: "The City of Toronto and Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment have drafted an agreement detailing their proposed partnership surrounding the 2026 FIFA World Cup, which aims to shield the company from suffering any losses related to matches in Toronto. "

quote #2: "The city's Feb. 10 letter of intent addressed to MLSE states that the company will serve as the project manager for upgrades to the downtown BMO Field stadium and the MLSE training facilities in Toronto's north end, which will both be used for the tournament."

The city's letter also says MLSE will be compensated for any losses incurred through the need to temporarily relocate the Toronto Argos or Toronto FC, which are also owned by the company. 

MLSE, alongside Destination Toronto, will also provide the city with marketing, branding and advertising services for the World Cup, the letter says, at a basis rate of $150 per hour."

NOTE FROM EARLIER NEWS RELEASES:  FIFA has agreed to let venues sell their own sponsorships (to a certain extent) to finance costs.

quote #3:"The letter states that net revenue earned during the World Cup will be split equally by MLSE and Toronto up to $10 million. If revenues exceed $10 million they will be split 60 per cent for the city and 40 per cent for MLSE."

Edited by Free kick

On 4/12/2023 at 3:19 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The argument appears to be that it's OK for CSB to profit off the CMNT making it to World Cup finals because they invested early in Canadian soccer and now get to reap the rewards.

BMO Field only happened because MLSE were willing to invest in it after the Argos bailed on the 2007 U-20 World Cup stadium project. That investment went along with starting TFC at a time when MLS was still struggling and ploughing huge sums into the academy setup at Downsview way before the CSB deal ever happened.

Either it's OK for the early adopters to be able to cash in or it isn't. Which one is it? Personally I'm skeptical that any sweetheart deal received from Canada's political elite would be done primarily for soccer related reasons. Could easily be linked to MLSE taking on the Argos as a charity case to prop up Canada's pointyball league.

As much as you are hated by many people on here , some of these guys on here don’t realize the crap soccer being relevant in this country had to go through and still has to go through to be relevant in this country . It’s still crazy to think that the number one sporting event in the world is coming here to Canada and all we are doing is putting lipstick on an elephant on a glorified high school stadium . We qualified for a fucken World Cup with crazy demand for World Cup qualifying tickets and incredible tv ratings for World Cup qualifying games and the actual World Cup for Canada’s  games at the World Cup, however , it matters not because all we are getting is temporary stands in Canadas biggest city , a joke really !

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

As much as you are hated by many people on here , some of these guys on here don’t realize the crap soccer being relevant in this country had to go through and still has to go through to be relevant in this country . It’s still crazy to think that the number one sporting event in the world is coming here to Canada and all we are doing is putting lipstick on an elephant on a glorified high school stadium . We qualified for a fucken World Cup with crazy demand for World Cup qualifying tickets and incredible tv ratings for World Cup qualifying games and the actual World Cup for Canada’s  games at the World Cup, however , it matters not because all we are getting is temporary stands in Canadas biggest city , a joke really !

This should be criticized by everyone, but it seems like those in the media have accepted the situation. 

Why is there no outcry over this? Apathy? Complacency? As Canadians we talk about wanting better, but we don't fight for better. We just accept what we have and shrug our shoulders, it seems. 

I am not surprised of any of this news.  End of the day, the City of Toronto owns BMO field.  It’s up to Toronto to invest money into BMO field if they want to host the World Cup at BMO field.  MLSE is in business to make money and want to make sure they don’t lose money

Just imagine if Rogers, Larry T and Bon Jovi ended up winning their bid to own Buffalo Bills few years ago, then they would have built a new NFL sized stadium in Toronto (downsview) which would have been better suited of hosting the World Cup and other major events.  Now the only chance we got to build a new major outdoor venue is if Toronto hosts the Summer Olympics.  

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

This should be criticized by everyone, but it seems like those in the media have accepted the situation. 

Why is there no outcry over this? Apathy? Complacency? As Canadians we talk about wanting better, but we don't fight for better. We just accept what we have and shrug our shoulders, it seems. 

My views have evolved a little on this topic since witnessing the stadiums at the recent WC.   Before, I too wondered (and have expressed on this thread) why we cant show more ambition in this country with respect stadiums and facilities for soccer.  And especially for the sport's showcase event.   But then I realized that the stadiums for WC2022 have more "lipstick" on them than BMO field and any other existing stadium like BC place.    The new stadiums in Qatar were made to look good in photos or pictures.   

Aside from the capacity,  everything else from the scoreboard, room in concourses, usage of space, amenities,  accessibility...etc is better at BMO field and BC place than what I saw at the WC in two of the three stadiums in went to.  The only one that I liked was the one that was built in 1976.   

One could rightfully point out that capacity is the most important factor and that the expanded seating should be permanent, Fair enough,  I'll buy that one.  But everything else?  Hmmm,  I dont think so.  We only look pale because we have to compare ourselves to the multi-billion dollar NFL facilities that were built to cater to a clientele seeking luxury and comfort.     As @TFC07 correctly pointed out,  we don't have an NFL team unfortunately.  

Edited by Free kick

On 4/12/2023 at 6:42 PM, nfitz said:

Why the personal attacks?

And the exaggeration. MLSE paid $18 million of the $63 million original (2007 stadium) cost - and all the O&M costs - even though the city retains ownership. Then they paid 100% of the $5.5 million upgrades in 2010, and $140 million of the $150 million spent or the 2015-2016 upgrades (the other $10 million came from the Argos - since purchased by MLSE).

Would they have built BMO Field without MLSE jumping in and providing the main tenant? I don't think we know. If it was just for the U-20, they could have used Skydome back then.

The personal attacks are related to the O-P trying to draw similarities between MLSE's handling of the original BMO field deal, and the CSB's handling of their CSA deal...do you think they are of the same ilk, or even at all similar?  My opinion is that even a basic review of the $$ involved, where people like us with 3rd hand info have to rely on what we're told,  is that MLSE had much more upside from the start, and CSB gambled bigger with smaller stakes...but that's also up for debate.

I will also point out some exaggerations, or omissions, as it were in your own accounting.  The original stadium costs are more fairly set at $73 million when you include the $10 million in land value the City contributed.  Putting MLSE's contribution to the whole at 18/73 or roughly 25% of the original costs.  But part of MLSE's added value was they bore the responsibility of cost overruns of ~$10 million of the final $73, meaning their original proffer was $8 million out of the $63 million price tag...13% of the proposed costs.  They are THE júnior paying participant in the build, but with a major stake in the future profits, along with the CIty.  

And would the deal have gone through if any of the federal government ($27 million) or the provincial government ($8 million) or the City of Toronto ($19.8 million) pulled out?  No...the consensus is that MLSE had to be part of it, or else it would not have happened.  For example, MLSE also had to purchase an MLS expansion team, and run it, out of that stadium  That MLS expansion fee was $10mil. The estimated 2023 valuation 16 years later is 60.9 times that fee. 

So.  All I am trying to say is that MLSE exploited an opportunity, and did it for pennies on the dollar AND made a mint like many private corporations do on new stadium deals funded by the public purse.  Comparing that to what the CSB did, or didn't do, is grossly misleading.

5 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Sorry, mate. We've all been here the whole time. Nobody doesn't realise anything. We lived the reality for decades and don't need some disingenuous dipshit 'educating' us.

21 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Sorry, mate. We've all been here the whole time. Nobody doesn't realise anything. We lived the reality for decades and don't need some disingenuous dipshit 'educating' us.

I said some I didn’t say all just to be clear .

14 hours ago, SoccMan said:

As much as you are hated by many people on here , some of these guys on here don’t realize the crap soccer being relevant in this country had to go through and still has to go through to be relevant in this country...

People with a nationalist mindset have a hierarchy going on in their head about who as an individual or which sport as an entertainment option are sufficiently part of the national community that they are fixated by to have a right to a voice in the discourse or access to public facilities and funding, etc.

If someone or something disrupts that sense of hierarchy they tend to become aggressive and irrational (think Don Cherry on Coach's Corner) and will try to find ways to enforce their sense of hierarchy and put any upstart individual or sport into what they perceive to be their or its proper place. Hence all the soccer hating sports jocks droning on for hours on the FAN 590 about how much they hated our sport in years gone by in a city where a vast portion of the population was born overseas or were second generation children born in Canada who grew up loving soccer. 

The generation making the decisions politically in Canada still largely grew up pre-youth soccer registration boom of the 1990s so we are still dealing with people who may not say it as overtly any more but are driven at some level by the idea that the CFL is the one true form of football to be promoted preferentially no matter what even though interest in it is lukewarm at best in the three largest cities. Soccer meanwhile is viewed as something foreign even though it has been played in Canada continuously since the late 1800s.

The 2007 U-20 World Cup stadium was going to be for the Argos in legacy terms with soccer playing second fiddle to fit that prevailing hierarchy until the Argos backed out. As luck would have it two Italian-Canadian politicians in the shape of Joe Volpe and Joe Pantalone were in position to guide it through (even if they didn't agree on where it should be built) with the previous partial funding commitments that had been made by the three tiers of government after MLSE climbed on board with MLS instead of the CFL as the future anchor tenant:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/site-spat-delays-toronto-stadium/article18244696/

The likes of Dave Perkins of the Toronto Star and Rob Ford on the city council were definitely not happy about it but just for once soccer won and we got to where we are today...

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

12 hours ago, Free kick said:

One could rightfully point out that capacity is the most important factor and that the expanded seating should be permanent, Fair enough,  I'll buy that one.  

Your post was very good.  I appreciate the personal viewpoint about the stadia in Qatar.

For the part quoted above, though, would a 45 000 seat stadium really be useful most of the time?  TFC typically draws in the high 20 000s.  For the recent Nations League game, the CSA (or whoever) only opened the lower bowl.  Wouldn't 45 000 just feel empty?

59 minutes ago, Kingston said:

Your post was very good.  I appreciate the personal viewpoint about the stadia in Qatar.

For the part quoted above, though, would a 45 000 seat stadium really be useful most of the time?  TFC typically draws in the high 20 000s.  For the recent Nations League game, the CSA (or whoever) only opened the lower bowl.  Wouldn't 45 000 just feel empty?

Sure it might feel empty but as we saw during the last WC qualifying there were a few games where we needed a much bigger stadium here in the GTA and just didn’t have one . That last WCQ game versus Jamaica would have easily sold out a 45000 BMO Field . I think a 45000 seat BMO would get filled many times for big MLS playoff or MLS Cup games or Champion League games . Future big WCQ games would fill it too, or a big top ranked national team versus Canada would fill it . Moreover , many opportunities to fill it in the future , we need a bigger grass  soccer venue here in this part of Canada that we don’t have right now .

10 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Sure it might feel empty but as we saw during the last WC qualifying there were a few games where we needed a much bigger stadium here in the GTA and just didn’t have one . That last WCQ game versus Jamaica would have easily sold out a 45000 BMO Field . I think a 45000 seat BMO would get filled many times for big MLS playoff or MLS Cup games or Champion League games . Future big WCQ games would fill it too, or a big top ranked national team versus Canada would fill it . Moreover , many opportunities to fill it in the future , we need a bigger grass  soccer venue here in this part of Canada that we don’t have right now .

Good points.  And I supposed TFC, as the main tenant, could always figure out if they prefer to sell more tickets at lower prices.

15 hours ago, Free kick said:

My views have evolved a little on this topic since witnessing the stadiums at the recent WC.   Before, I too wondered (and have expressed on this thread) why we cant show more ambition in this country with respect stadiums and facilities for soccer.  And especially for the sport's showcase event.   But then I realized that the stadiums for WC2022 have more "lipstick" on them than BMO field and any other existing stadium like BC place.    The new stadiums in Qatar were made to look good in photos or pictures.   

Aside from the capacity,  everything else from the scoreboard, room in concourses, usage of space, amenities,  accessibility...etc is better at BMO field and BC place than what I saw at the WC in two of the three stadiums in went to.  The only one that I liked was the one that was built in 1976.   

One could rightfully point out that capacity is the most important factor and that the expanded seating should be permanent, Fair enough,  I'll buy that one.  But everything else?  Hmmm,  I dont think so.  We only look pale because we have to compare ourselves to the multi-billion dollar NFL facilities that were built to cater to a clientele seeking luxury and comfort.     As @TFC07 correctly pointed out,  we don't have an NFL team unfortunately.  

I'll echo @Kingston and say good post and appreciate the reports on the Qatari stadia. 

However, my first thought after reading was: shouldn't there be middle ground between a multi-billion-dollar NFL stadium and putting up temporary bleachers? I am not suggesting they necessarily level BMO field and spend 400 million on a 45k soccer specific stadium (though I wouldn't stop them :)) - but couldn't they have proposed a plan whereby the capacity was permanently upgraded?    

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

No need to elaborate because SoccMan says it perfectly. I don't know how much it would have cost to do that, but would be less than building a new stadium from scratch. 45k shouldn't be seen as too large in my opinion. Lille play in a 50k stadium and average 35k, Toronto play in a 30k stadium and average 25k - and I've never heard anyone complain about the empty seats at the Stade Pierre-Mauroy.

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

People with a nationalist mindset have a hierarchy going on in their head about who as an individual or which sport as an entertainment option are sufficiently part of the national community that they are fixated by to have a right to a voice in the discourse or access to public facilities and funding, etc.

If someone or something disrupts that sense of hierarchy they tend to become aggressive and irrational (think Don Cherry on Coach's Corner) and will try to find ways to enforce their sense of hierarchy and put any upstart individual or sport into what they perceive to be their or its proper place. Hence all the soccer hating sports jocks droning on for hours on the FAN 590 about how much they hated our sport in years gone by in a city where a vast portion of the population was born overseas or were second generation children born in Canada who grew up loving soccer. 

The generation making the decisions politically in Canada still largely grew up pre-youth soccer registration boom of the 1990s so we are still dealing with people who may not say it as overtly any more but are driven at some level by the idea that the CFL is the one true form of football to be promoted preferentially no matter what even though interest in it is lukewarm at best in the three largest cities. Soccer meanwhile is viewed as something foreign even though it has been played in Canada continuously since the late 1800s.

The 2007 U-20 World Cup stadium was going to be for the Argos in legacy terms with soccer playing second fiddle to fit that prevailing hierarchy until the Argos backed out. As luck would have it two Italian-Canadian politicians in the shape of Joe Volpe and Joe Pantalone were in position to guide it through (even if they didn't agree on where it should be built) with the previous partial funding commitments that had been made by the three tiers of government after MLSE climbed on board with MLS instead of the CFL as the future anchor tenant:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/site-spat-delays-toronto-stadium/article18244696/

The likes of Dave Perkins of the Toronto Star and Rob Ford on the city council were definitely not happy about it but just for once soccer won and we got to where we are today...

When you tell some people a soccer league in Canada would be great they get irrational and passive aggressive (think like purple haired 55yr old single cat women on your Strata counsel who regulates all things community garden plot)

Edited by SpursFlu

17 hours ago, Free kick said:

Scoreboards/big screen in Qatar stadiums were embarrassing.

4 hours ago, Kingston said:

There's a lot of competition in Toronto for entertainment and the city's  infrastructure can't keep up with the burgeoning  population. Roads are clogged and transit has its own risks lately, but if TFC was managed properly and put out a consistently well performing/ winning team there should be a min of 30K+ for their games. The 2/3 seasons when Gio and the supporting cast were at their peak, attendance was much higher... remember the 2 game playoff vs Montreal? With continued growth of our Mens team, fan support will  increase, especially in the GTA. BMO is Canada's national soccer stadium. It needs to be bigger and better.

1 minute ago, Free kick said:

And non existent in one case.  I recall looking all around to find out how much time was left in the half or the game.

Haha seriously.  Lusail for a 90K stadium it felt like it had two small 55" screens.  Khalifa if you sat underneath one screen good luck seeing the one on the other side!!

1 minute ago, Kadenge said:

There's a lot of competition in Toronto for entertainment and the city's  infrastructure can't keep up with the burgeoning  population. Roads are clogged and transit has its own risks lately, but if TFC was managed properly and put out a consistently well performing/ winning team there should be a min of 30K+ for their games. The 2/3 seasons when Gio and the supporting cast were at their peak, attendance was much higher... remember the 2 game playoff vs Montreal? With continued growth of our Mens team, fan support will  increase, especially in the GTA. BMO is Canada's national soccer stadium. It needs to be bigger and better.

Agree 100%.  It's time for both Montreal and Toronto to have full sized MLS stadiums in the 40,000 seat range.

1 hour ago, Ottawafan said:

Agree 100%.  It's time for both Montreal and Toronto to have full sized MLS stadiums in the 40,000 seat range.

According to this list on Wikipedia, only one team has an official soccer capacity above 40 000.  There are about half a dozen that play in NFL/CFL stadia that could (and sometimes do) go over 40 000 if they wished.  But two thirds of the league have capacities of 25 000 or less.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer#Teams