2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

27 minutes ago, Free kick said:

That probably explains this:

quote: "The New York Times reporteFriday that FIFA’s brass has narrowed the possibilities to two Final finalists: Dallas-Fort Worth’s AT&T Stadium and New York-New Jersey’s MetLife Stadium. On Sunday night, FIFA’s president attended the Dallas Cowboys’ home game. An official decision is expected this fall."

Opinion: When it comes to values, there’s a clear choice for the World Cup Final - Inside World Football

There was an article in the Athletic discussing the state of all the US stadiums, and I think part of the Finals discussion is that SoFi is smaller than the other two.

6 hours ago, Watchmen said:

There was an article in the Athletic discussing the state of all the US stadiums, and I think part of the Finals discussion is that SoFi is smaller than the other two.

In terms of pitch size,  Yes.   

Edited by Free kick

2 hours ago, Free kick said:

In terms of pitch side,  Yes.   

I meant in terms of seating, though I see Wikipedia lists SoFi as "expandable to 100k".  Don't know if that's for soccer or not.  Regular capacity is 70k.  NY bid at 87k and Dallas at 93k (but expandable further to 105k).  That's definitely why Dallas is being considered, and probably why NY is being considered over LA.

The World Cup finals stadium decision is going to be a really telling one re: state of North American soccer and FIFA in general. If it's between NYC and Dallas, obviously it should be in New York, it's the crown jewel of the US, centre of the universe, crossroads of the world, so on. On the other hand, you have AT&T in Dallas, owned by Jerry Jones, arguably the most powerful man in all of sports. There's not a trick in the book Jones couldn't pull to somehow get the finals, even though there's no reason why you should have 100,000 soccer fans somehow needing to be in *Dallas, Texas* for the biggest match of the year/cycle, and yet, there's a very real chance that will be the case.

Rose Bowl would never happen, come on. Isn't it like decaying bleachers in most of it?? Plus they want stadia that were built after the big shift to massive corporate/hospitality sections taking priority. Vegas is a natural replacement, were they only not included in the first place because it wasn't built yet?

Regarding Vegas,  I mentioned about a year ago in this thread (with supporting media articles and quotes) that they don't want it.  So they pulled out of the bidding early on in the process  Mostly because FIFA's non compete clauses.   The non compete clauses mean that the host city must not have any competing events within certain time ranges in the summer when the world cup is held.  With the tons of events and year long existing booking in Vegas,   the city doesnt need the world cup.  And,  they were quoted that there is no economic benefit or minimal benefit for them to forgo those events in order to host the WC.  In fact,  in fact they stated, as i recall,  that that was at busy time of the year for Vegas.

PS.:  I noticed many times people bringing up Vegas and i get that not everyone follows the news on this topic.  But they were not awarded the WC.  So how could FIFA turn around and make them a host city with they were not part of bidding and inspection process?  

Edited by Free kick

• 4 weeks later...

No not quite 🙂

Its historic.  And to be honest, I didn't know that Brazil even had this undefeated streak.  I thought that Mexico's record at Azteca was unique and the one that most stood out.  BTW,  with the new qualifying quotas, we can confidently say that it is impossible for Brazil to not qualify.  

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, Club Linesman said:

Always hoped football would go to more of a rugby style process and eliminate group accosting of the ref and only have captains speak. Was also hoping that they would go with the rugby version of VAR.  This would be great for the game.

Wayne Barnes vs. Brazil.  

5 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Always hoped football would go to more of a rugby style process and eliminate group accosting of the ref and only have captains speak. Was also hoping that they would go with the rugby version of VAR.  This would be great for the game.

Plus a clock that is stopped when the ref stops time; and also tick’s down and goes red when it goes past 90 until one of the teams kicks the ball out 

I think any player that will not be around in 2026 should not be called any longer. We have 2.5 years before W/C and we should play the younger players now so they get in sinc with each other. We hardly play friendlies so these next tournaments (Copa, Gold Cup and Nations League) are the only place they can play. I do not agree with the idea of adding 1 or 2 new players at a time. We don't have the time for that. That's my 2 cents.

1 hour ago, MtlMario said:

I think any player that will not be around in 2026 should not be called any longer. We have 2.5 years before W/C and we should play the younger players now so they get in sinc with each other. We hardly play friendlies so these next tournaments (Copa, Gold Cup and Nations League) are the only place they can play. I do not agree with the idea of adding 1 or 2 new players at a time. We don't have the time for that. That's my 2 cents.

Who would that be? Considering its a WC at home, these guys may extend their career specifically for the WC. 

Likely vitoria is done at 39. 

Potentially borjan but he just turned 36 and will be 38 at the world cup. He could easily still be playing and be our 3rd string. 

Hoilett will turn 36 at the tournament. he could still be around but its unlikely. However, 1-2 years in the championship, 1-2 years in MLS and he could still make it. 

Oso will turn 34 at the tournamnet. He'll still be playing. 

Cav will be 33 and still around - likely to be dropped before then as we have better options....we are already seeing this.

Basically the only guy who we realistically can say is done is vitoria. However, if we go by form then I expect borjan to drop to a 3rd string role, hoilett to be the 26th man off the bench, oso off the bench and cav to be dropped. 

So basically 2026 team will be 2022 team just 3.5 years older.😄

8 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Who would that be? Considering its a WC at home, these guys may extend their career specifically for the WC. 

Likely vitoria is done at 39. 

Potentially borjan but he just turned 36 and will be 38 at the world cup. He could easily still be playing and be our 3rd string. 

Hoilett will turn 36 at the tournament. he could still be around but its unlikely. However, 1-2 years in the championship, 1-2 years in MLS and he could still make it. 

Oso will turn 34 at the tournamnet. He'll still be playing. 

Cav will be 33 and still around - likely to be dropped before then as we have better options....we are already seeing this.

Basically the only guy who we realistically can say is done is vitoria. However, if we go by form then I expect borjan to drop to a 3rd string role, hoilett to be the 26th man off the bench, oso off the bench and cav to be dropped. 

9 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Always hoped football would go to more of a rugby style process and eliminate group accosting of the ref and only have captains speak. 

That is one of the things I like about basketball - the refs take no shit whatsoever.  Chirp at the ref?  Technical.  Generally act like an asshole?  Technical.   Five fouls and you are hitting the showers, so if you want to take a Tech for something dumb that is on you.  The result?  Almost no crowding the refs or screaming in their faces.  None of the bullshit.  And guess what - the NBA still manages to put out a really entertaining product that doesn't view the BS drama as an integral part of the game.  

3 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

So basically 2026 team will be 2022 team just 3.5 years older.😄

Thats not at all what Im saying. Im responding to your statement that players who wont be there 100% should be kicked. Im saying our squad is so young that vitoria is the only player whos is likely 100% retired by 2026. Then it becomes a difficult question about which players gain or lose form vs new up and coming players.

Age/retirment is only one criteria for shaping the squad and we can only predict one player whos likely retired. 
Form and ability is another. 
Do we drop miller because we expect LDF to take his spot. If so, when? 
Do we drop oso and never look back because we have ali/choiniere. What happens if oso regains form and ali loses form. Can we go back to oso? 
Do we drop piette with the assumption loturi or bombito develop into our missing CDM. 

Im saying its difficult to say lets get rid of players who wont be around in 2026 when we cant even make a list of who wont be around aside from vitoria. 

1 hour ago, Bigandy said:

Thats not at all what Im saying. Im responding to your statement that players who wont be there 100% should be kicked. Im saying our squad is so young that vitoria is the only player whos is likely 100% retired by 2026. Then it becomes a difficult question about which players gain or lose form vs new up and coming players.

Age/retirment is only one criteria for shaping the squad and we can only predict one player whos likely retired. 
Form and ability is another. 
Do we drop miller because we expect LDF to take his spot. If so, when? 
Do we drop oso and never look back because we have ali/choiniere. What happens if oso regains form and ali loses form. Can we go back to oso? 
Do we drop piette with the assumption loturi or bombito develop into our missing CDM. 

Im saying its difficult to say lets get rid of players who wont be around in 2026 when we cant even make a list of who wont be around aside from vitoria. 

Of course nobody has a crystal ball (except me or course😄) but there's not much time to figure all these things out is what I'm saying.Cheers.