2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

Dallas is only 1 hour difference vs. NYC so I don't think that's a huge factor... If they are appeasing Europe, they'll just schedule the start time at 3pm in the afternoon which would put the start time at 9 or 10 in the major European markets.  They are used to late starting games.  I wonder how much pull the Asian markets have... then an early evening local start might be a compromise. 

13 hours ago, narduch said:

Going to be interesting to see how they handle the start times. Only 5 of the stadiums are enclosed with Air Conditioning. 

There are some cities where the games will have to be at night local time. Can't have 3pm ET.

That was a problem in 94 as well.  People complained (rightfully so) of having to play matches in mid afternoon in July in Orlando Florida.  And,  at that time,  there was no such thing as a hydration break during matches.  

Ironically,  people complained that this was a reason for why WC shouldn't be in  North America.  

Edited by Free kick

23 hours ago, mrstepp817 said:

I'll be very surprised if the final isn't in Dallas 

22 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Maybe I'm missing something but why would it not be in LA or New York? The Dallas Cowboys likely mean diddlysquat to most soccer people around the world so Dallas is just some random American city where JFK got assassinated and JR and Sue Ellen were from rather than somewhere you would want to wind up being the focal point of your tournament in global sports media terms.

You're missing the stadium which is among the best in the world.  AT&T Stadium seats 100 000 and it has a retractable roof (ie. air conditioned). 

I wouldn't be surprised either if the Final is held there.  

15 hours ago, narduch said:

Going to be interesting to see how they handle the start times. Only 5 of the stadiums are enclosed with Air Conditioning. 

There are some cities where the games will have to be at night local time. Can't have 3pm ET.

They'd probably do morning. That way you are keeping Europe and Asia in the TV watching loop.

Edited by mpg_29

2 hours ago, Free kick said:

That was a problem in 94 as well.  People complained (rightfully so) of having to play matches in mid afternoon in July in Orlando Florida.  And,  at that time,  there was no such thing as a hydration break during matches.  

Ironically,  people complained that this was a reason for why WC shouldn't be in  North America.  

Isn't the 94 final (Brazil v Italy, with the infamous Baggio pk miss) considered one of the most boring finals ever?

15 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

Easy solution, move the games to November.

Worked for Qatar!

Been thinking about this a bit.

This may be necessary moving forward due to global warming.

Eventually MLS may even have to consider taking a break in the summer or moving to a winter schedule.

On 8/12/2023 at 10:25 AM, Free kick said:

How reliable is that account name or source?  I would think that a credible source for this kind of info would have a much greater following.   Anyways,  from the bid book that was presented way back 4-6 years ago,  it was indicated that opening game would be played simultaneously in each of the three countries.

BID BOOK page 166:

image.png.9b39521e10a5a769ef9b820cca6595c1.png

BID BOOK page 199:   (NOTE:  this doc was presented before the actual stadium inspections &evaluations)

image.thumb.png.9b8567e18e18615657efae1811043c62.png

image.png.800cbb17af42c0502a7c6bbe1da5a41e.png

I would say the same thing about this as I do about the "FIFA insists Canada must have its own league. It's in the bid book!": FIFA will do whatever FIFA wants to do and whatever will benefit it the most. If they think the best thing for them financially is 1 focused opening game in a massive stadium, that's what they're going to do.

4 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

The winters are also getting worse.

They would probably have to break in January and February and also July and parts of August long term.

Also anecdotally, but I have noticed that there seemed to be an abnormal amount if rain delays and out right cancelations this summer

1 hour ago, narduch said:

They would probably have to break in January and February and also July and parts of August long term.

Also anecdotally, but I have noticed that there seemed to be an abnormal amount if rain delays and out right cancelations this summer

I've been told you can't have a break in the season because it kills all the momentum and fans will hate it. Or at least, that's what people who hate the Leagues Cup keep telling me.

23 hours ago, Free kick said:

n 1986 the Can-Fra WC game was played on the weekend but in order to watch Canada play the USSR and Hungary, you had to take time off from school or work or take a holiday or sick day because it was played in the early afternoon.

Hah! I definitely remember rearranging my work schedule to be able to leave early to watch the USSR and Hungary matches in 1986.

n 1986 the Can-Fra WC game was played on the weekend but in order to watch Canada play the USSR and Hungary, you had to take time off from school or work or take a holiday or sick day because it was played in the 

Edited by Treppy2
Double post

n 1986 the Can-Fra WC game was played on the weekend but in order to watch Canada play the USSR and Hungary, you had to take time off from school or work or take a holiday or sick day because it was played in the early afternoon.

Edited by Treppy2
Triple post

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.mlive.com/sports/2023/08/fifa-leaves-world-cup-host-cities-in-the-dark-about-2025-club-world-cup.html

Quote #1: "Nearly two months after FIFA chose the U.S. to host the 2025 Club World Cup, the American cities slated to host the following year’s national team World Cup remain in the dark about what role, if any, they are expected to play in the expanded club tournament. It’s just the latest point of frustration for 2026 local organizers, who have been complaining for months about FIFA’s communication and slower-than-expected progress in preparing for the massive event."

Quote #2: "The first and most prevalent is that the governing body would want to hold the 2025 Club World Cup in as many of the same U.S. cities that will host World Cup matches the following year as possible. In its announcement of the decision to bring the club event to the U.S., FIFA expressed a desire to “maximize synergies with the delivery of the 2026 World Cup.”

The second possibility is that FIFA would want to take the Club World Cup to more non-World Cup host cities to expand its commercial footprint and gain more flexibility in terms of which companies it can bring on as backers for the Club World Cup, including non-World Cup sponsors.

A key question FIFA has yet to answer is whether it plans to deem the 2025 Club World Cup an official “test event” for the 2026 World Cup. Each of the 2026 host cities agreed in their contracts with FIFA to partake in any such events that might be scheduled prior to the main event. It’s also unclear whether FIFA will seek to play the Club World Cup in all NFL-sized stadiums like the 2026 World Cup or a combination of NFL and MLS facilities."

Edited by Free kick

• 3 weeks later...

Am I the only one who thinks that the South American qualifying is a bit of a parody now?  They’re doing one league again, but will only eliminate three teams.  Six qualify directly, and one goes to the playoffs.  I reckon we’ll see some pretty boring games towards the end when most teams have locked it up.

19 hours ago, RJB said:

Am I the only one who thinks that the South American qualifying is a bit of a parody now?  They’re doing one league again, but will only eliminate three teams.  Six qualify directly, and one goes to the playoffs.  I reckon we’ll see some pretty boring games towards the end when most teams have locked it up.

You are not the only one.  I have alluded to this in past.   It makes their qualifying process almost pointless.    Conmebol, as I recall, were some of the loudest and critical voices of the 48 team world cup concept.  And that's because their qualifying games were meaningful and full of intrigue but not anymore.

Edited by Free kick

You can now watch Argentina take on Bolivia in WCQ today at 1600 EDT as it is free on FIFA+.

https://www.fifa.com/fifaplus/en/tournaments/mens/worldcup/canadamexicousa2026/articles/fifa-to-live-stream-upcoming-fifa-world-cup-26-south-american-qualifiers

Rest of today's Conmebol qualifiers are on Fanatiz but as a pricy add-on package.

Unfortunately, Conmebol's WCQ rights are being sold on a country-by-country and/or match-by-match basis rather than packaged by the confederation. So, the downside is the cost to watch is high but the least appealing matches can now be watched on FIFA+.

20 hours ago, Free kick said:

You are not the only one.  I have alluded to this in past.   It makes their qualifying process almost pointless.    Conmebol, as I recall, were some of the loudest and critical voices of the 48 team world cup concept.  And that's because their qualifying games were meaningful and full of intrigue but not anymore.

I remember reading that the stature of the Copa really fell after this format came in, because it did a better job of determining the "real" continental champion. With so many now qualifying, i wonder if they'd be better off shortening the campaign and elevating the Copa status again (though I think it's status has improved). Would also free up additional dates for friendlies, which we know pay at least some of them very well.

10 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I remember reading that the stature of the Copa really fell after this format came in, because it did a better job of determining the "real" continental champion. With so many now qualifying, i wonder if they'd be better off shortening the campaign and elevating the Copa status again (though I think it's status has improved). Would also free up additional dates for friendlies, which we know pay at least some of them very well.

I think splitting off into two five-team groups would make a ton of sense with the new format now....top 3 in each group go to the World Cup...a playoff between the 4th place teams to determine who goes to the FIFA playoff

5 hours ago, red card said:

You can now watch Argentina take on Bolivia in WCQ today at 1600 EDT as it is free on FIFA+.

https://www.fifa.com/fifaplus/en/tournaments/mens/worldcup/canadamexicousa2026/articles/fifa-to-live-stream-upcoming-fifa-world-cup-26-south-american-qualifiers

Rest of today's Conmebol qualifiers are on Fanatiz but as a pricy add-on package.

Unfortunately, Conmebol's WCQ rights are being sold on a country-by-country and/or match-by-match basis rather than packaged by the confederation. So, the downside is the cost to watch is high but the least appealing matches can now be watched on FIFA+.

Thanks for this - watching the second half now.

Seeing the panoramic shot at half time reminded me that La Paz is one of the most stunning cities on the planet, set in a huge valley with houses all the way up the valley sides. My girlfriend and I spent a month mountain climbing in Bolivia in 1996, and we were based in La Paz. We arrived in La Paz on the day Bolivia demolished Venezuela 6-1 in a World Cup qualifier. As we walked around the city, we heard six distinct cheers from pubs/bars/cafes as Bolivia scored each goal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/21/2023 at 6:05 PM, Watchmen said:

That probably explains this:

quote: "The New York Times reporteFriday that FIFA’s brass has narrowed the possibilities to two Final finalists: Dallas-Fort Worth’s AT&T Stadium and New York-New Jersey’s MetLife Stadium. On Sunday night, FIFA’s president attended the Dallas Cowboys’ home game. An official decision is expected this fall."

Opinion: When it comes to values, there’s a clear choice for the World Cup Final - Inside World Football