2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

On 12/22/2023 at 4:40 PM, Joe MacCarthy said:

Does anybody know if there is a clause where the Argos/TFC can't use the stadium for how long before and after the WC.

World Cup to trigger biggest BC Place renovations since 2011
PavCo hasn’t released cost estimates, but a request for proposals offers some hints
Bob Mackin biv.com December 11, 2023

The stadium-use contract for the home of the Seahawks and Sounders is officially between the U.S. Soccer Federation and First and Goal Inc., the Washington Public Stadium Authority’s private leaseholder. It gives FIFA full control of what goes on inside and outside the building from 30 days before the first match to seven days after the last match.

MetLife Stadium to remove 1,740 seats for 2026 World Cup (sportsnet.ca)

World Cup final in line for unprecedented change with Fifa under pressure to ensure a faster paced game | The Sun

quote#1: "FIFA chiefs are under pressure to confirm the venue for the 2026 World Cup final.
And there are signs that the biggest game in football could be played indoors for the first time
."

quote#2: "New York’s MetLife Stadium had long been considered the front-runner. 
An East Coast venue would allow a mid-afternoon kick-off, prime time in Europe.
But temperatures in the Big Apple in mid-July regularly hit 90F-plus, likely to mean stifling conditions and a slow-paced game.
So expectations are increasing that Dallas could be the chosen option.   Dallas has air conditioning and would allow for a 2pm local time start to fit the demands of European audiences and likely lead to a faster game
"

Edited by Free kick

The rumour is that the draw for WCQs for the CONCACAF region will be Thursday January 25th, so two weeks from now.

It feels weird that for the first time we aren't involved.

-----------

For those that like to read what teams got sanctions and why during WCQs, here is the document:

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/16cf456ff4872874/original/FIFA-World-Cup-26-Qualifiers-disciplinary-overview-Sept-Nov-2023.pdf

Either all of CONMEBOL is yelling "puto" or FIFA just have more people in the crowds listening than in previous years; even away fans are getting their FA's sanctioned (Colombian fans in Chile, Uruguay fans in Argentina). Crazy.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I was reading the other day that one of the deciding factors might be that it's indoors/air conditioned. It would allow them to hold the final mid-day, at a better time for their European audience/broadcasters.

2 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I was reading the other day that one of the deciding factors might be that it's indoors/air conditioned. It would allow them to hold the final mid-day, at a better time for their European audience/broadcasters.

Makes sense.

The 94 Final was played outdoors in the heat and is widely regarded as one of the most boring finals ever

To me New York area is just too big of a mess. Too congested and makes everything more complicated and expensive. After the success of Qatar in such a controlled environment I think they feel that can better be duplicated in Dallas

1 minute ago, An Observer said:

I assume we will also find out where Canada is playing then as well

I’m assuming it’s too early to be able to book hotels? Prices will be crazy when the event gets close I’m sure.

On 1/18/2024 at 7:25 PM, An Observer said:

I assume we will also find out where Canada is playing then as well

Yes, I read this in an article the other day that we will know where the Canada group stage games will be held (and I guess we will know our group name/letter as well).

Totally forgot about the draw, looks like it's done based on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2026_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(CONCACAF)

The round 2 groups look pretty straight forward for the top teams. Any upsets to who advances would be pretty big upsets. Maybe a fight between Puerto Rico and Suriname (to finish 2nd behind El Salvador) is the most up in the air.

9 hours ago, Kent said:

Totally forgot about the draw, looks like it's done based on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2026_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(CONCACAF)

The round 2 groups look pretty straight forward for the top teams. Any upsets to who advances would be pretty big upsets. Maybe a fight between Puerto Rico and Suriname (to finish 2nd behind El Salvador) is the most up in the air.

I think Group E is actually pretty interesting, with Guatemala and Dominican Republican fighting it out for 2nd.

Group A : Honduras and....Cuba? Maybe Bermuda make things interesting
Group B : Costa Rica & Trinidad & Tobago
Group C : Probably the most open. In theory should be Haiti & Curacao...
Group D : Panama & Nicaragua, although Guyana looked good in CNL-B and Montserrat aren't pushovers
Group E : Jamaica & Guatemala, although DR should be able to push Guatemala a bit
Group F : Not exactly the worst draw for ES but definitely not the best, either. I'm very bearish on them these day. Might be Suriname followed by a limping ES 

If the assumed teams win the pots could be something like:

Panama (41)
CR (52)
Jamaica (55)
Honduras (76)

El Salvador (78)
Haiti (89)
Curacao (90)
T&T (96)

Guatemala (108)
Nicaragua (134)
Suriname (143)
Cuba (169)

The possibility of a Honduras/El Salvador/Guatemala OR Nicaragua final group with the winner going to a WC is too tempting to pass up... 😁

Edited by Mihairokov

7 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I think Group E is actually pretty interesting, with Guatemala and Dominican Republican fighting it out for 2nd.

Apparently they were in the same group in the 2022-23 Nations League. Guatemala won at home 2-0 and it was a draw in DR. So you might be right, not as big a gap as I was thinking, although DR has still failed to get out of League B while Guatemala was able to stay up in League A.

8 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Why do you think it’s stupid?

Because of how the final round is set up.

In the final round the teams that get selected for the Intercontinental playoff are based on Group play (the 2 best 2nd place teams out of 3 go to the playoffs)

Which is unfair as groups can be unbalanced. 

Everybody hated the 24 team World Cup format for a reason.

Edited by narduch