2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

World Cup 2026 host cities permitted to sell own sponsorships, says report - SportsPro (sportspromedia.com)

Quote: "Fifa has not confirmed any details of the program, though SBJ reports that several senior figures at host city committees have said that the current framework allows each city to sign up to ten companies as ‘supporters’.

Fifa will purportedly give the go-ahead for host cities to generate funding from sponsorships but is mindful of ensuring those tie-ups don’t impact its ability to sell lucrative deals of its own covering the entire World Cup"

Vague enough both verbally and visually:

”The new format of the European Qualifiers for UEFA EURO or the FIFA World Cup will be more consolidated, with teams being drawn in 12 groups of four and five teams, consequently revitalising the competition by making it less predictable and more dynamic.

With the traditional home-and-away matches and “all play all” principles retained, this simple format will offer more competitive groups at all levels.

Teams drawn in groups of five will kick off the qualifiers in March, or in June if they are still competing in the UEFA Nations League quarter-finals or are involved in promotion/relegation matches. Teams drawn in groups of four will start their campaigns in September.

The group-winners of the European Qualifiers will qualify directly for the UEFA EURO or the FIFA World Cup, whereas the second-placed teams will either qualify directly or participate in play-off matches (together with UEFA Nations League teams for qualification to the UEFA EURO). “

A visual description of the qualification modus:

BEFD487E-4A9B-47CA-98BF-E97030A103CD.png

How seeds are going to be decided (FIFA ranking or NL ranking)?
When is the draw (before NL QF in March with empty slots for eight NL quarter finalists)? If you want them all in 4 team groups, be aware the only combination is 7 groups of 5 team plus 5 groups of 4 team. 

And, are all group runner ups entering the playoffs or NL ranking plays a role like EURO qualifiers? What’s the playoff format?

Well, I see more questions than answers from this release. Are you confused? I am.

Edited by lamptern

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Vasi said:

Im honestly scared for 26. 

Everything from the Herdman rumor to zero communication from csa on an action plan leading up to 26, or even the wc money deal, makes me worry that we will really suck hard in 26. 

Any one else feel the same? Or have some words/info to ese my anxiety???

Pasted from the U17 thread.  

I am not in any way worried yet    I am probably guilty of stupid optimism but I think it is far too early to worry about 2026.  I suspect the whole Herdman/NZ thing was just positioning in negotiating.   There may have been much more to it than that but it is still just business and everyone is looking out for their own interests.   As long as the CSA and Herdman continue to keep each other happy, no worries.

And even if Herdman does depart before 2026, I am not going to lose it.   He has been great for us.   But not everything has been perfect - and it is hard to say if his methods can be sustained for another 4 years without getting stale.   If they do part ways, I think the CSA will recognize the need to bring in a tactician far enough in advance of 2026 that they won’t be embarrassed.   Despite the accusations leveled at them quite regularly around here, I find it hard to believe they are malicious. I think they will make the necessary investments in the buildup to 2026 to give us the conditions for (relative?) success.  Those investments may not be as ambitious as we would like, but I suspect they are subject to financial pressures and other conditions that we do not fully appreciate.

Edited by dyslexic nam

13 hours ago, The Ref said:

At times one wonders.  I remember the fiasco for the Women's WC in 2015 about all of it played in turf fields.  Are we going to have grass in 2026?

I think they'd have to.... Right? BMO is a hybrid if I recall correctly, No clue about BC Place though.

14 hours ago, The Ref said:

At times one wonders.  I remember the fiasco for the Women's WC in 2015 about all of it played in turf fields.  Are we going to have grass in 2026?

No, they're going to tear up BMO Field's $5 million playing surface and replace it with artificial turf to make it consistent with BC Place, MetLife Stadium, AT&T Stadium, etc.

And because this is Canada, we're cheaping out and using the old turf that was taken out of Montreal's Olympic Stadium.

Fucking CSA.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/2023/01/24/torontos-big-gamble-the-city-is-putting-aside-millions-for-world-cup-2026-despite-a-cash-crunch.html

$20.4 million included in Toronto’s proposed 2023 operating and capital budgets to support plans for the city to host five matches during the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

BC Place planning suite expansion for FIFA 2026 World Cup - BC News - Castanet.net

Quote: " According to two sources not authorized to speak publicly, the Crown corporation that runs the stadium is planning to expand the Pacific Rim private suites on level 3 in time for the North America-hosted tournament. FIFA is expected to schedule five matches in the early rounds in Vancouver, one of 16 host cities.

B.C. Pavilion Corp. (PavCo) had originally proposed relocating the entire Sports Hall but has since narrowed its sights on the back-of-house, archival storage area. 

BC Place already has 50 private furnished and catered suites that hold between 10 and 24 people. During the recent 2022 World Cup in Qatar, FIFA subcontracted high-end ticket packages and VIP hospitality to the Swiss company Match Hospitality. 

A spokeswoman for PavCo did not deny the suite expansion concept."

2026 FIFA World Cup: Vancouver's early preparation underway | Calgary Herald

Quote: " Experts say Vancouver's sport facilities and transportation systems will be ready in time for the global soccer tournament in 2026. Increasing hotel capacity will be more difficult."

Quote:" Vancouver’s transportation system will be well-positioned to handle the event, May said, and adding extra rapid-bus service as needed should be relatively straightforward.

Increasing hotel capacity is not so easy.

Before COVID-19, Metro Vancouver’s tourism and business leaders were raising alarms about what they called a serious hotel room shortage. And then the region lost hotel rooms during the pandemic, after governments purchased hotels to turn them into social housing.

“To continue the support and growth of major events, we’ve got to find a way to get more hotel rooms … We don’t have enough rooms downtown,” May said. “It’s an issue for us, it isn’t just an issue for FIFA.”

Edited by Free kick

Turfgrass facility approved. MSU will make turf for 2026 FIFA World Cup (yahoo.com)

Quote:" MSU Board of Trustees unanimously voted Friday to build a FIFA-funded turfgrass testing facility that will make turf for more than a dozen stadiums for the world's most popular sporting event.

Their approval assures agreements for the construction and financing of a turfgrass testing facility and acceptance of the facility as a gift once construction is complete and once work to make the playing surfaces for the world's most-watched sporting event is done.

The Fédération Internationale De Football Association, also known as FIFA, will fund and build the turfgrass testing facility on MSU’s East Lansing campus"

Edited by Free kick

On 1/28/2021 at 4:45 PM, Shway said:

I do like the idea of earning the spot, knowing that two powerhouses will be granted automatic spots. 

It is official now.

We have (automatically) qualified for the 2026 FIFA World Cup!

🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

https://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/organisation/fifa-council/media-releases/fifa-council-highlights-record-breaking-revenue-in-football

https://theathletic.com/4197750/2023/02/14/world-cup-2026-usa-canada-mexico/?amp=1

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

8 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Did someone say they would rather Canada earn the spot ? No way I’m glad Canada gets the automatic berth , nothing is guaranteed remember this is still CONCACAF where crazy things always happen. 

In fact, if CONCACAF is going to bid for Copa America, as a logical lead-in to the WC, we should also be guaranteed a spot in it.

Crazy things happen, yes: better confide in decrees, not due process, and batten down all hatches.

12 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Did someone say they would rather Canada earn the spot ? No way I’m glad Canada gets the automatic berth , nothing is guaranteed remember this is still CONCACAF where crazy things always happen. 

I agree but I actually thoroughly enjoy qualification (this goes for all regions) and find it can be very exciting.  Historically it's been quite a letdown as a CMNT supporter but aside from actually watching Canada play in the world cup, this past qualification was the most exciting year as a CMNT fan.

Then there's also the fact that during qualification, we are forced to play games while now I worry about the CSA scheduling quality friendlies for us during the qualification period.

• 2 weeks later...

If this goes to 104 games (ie. with 12 groups of 4 teams) - does that mean more games potentially in Canada and Mexico - rather than the 60/10/10 split from before - Seems probable? More group matches (12x6=72) and then the top 2 in each of 12 groups and then the best 8/12 3rd place teams to get to a round of 32 and then to a single elimination winner (and 3rd place game) for a total of 104. Maybe an 80/12/12 split?

Anything is better than the three team group idea - way too many problems potentially with that one.

30 minutes ago, Team Canada said:

If this goes to 104 games (ie. with 12 groups of 4 teams) - does that mean more games potentially in Canada and Mexico - rather than the 60/10/10 split from before - Seems probable? More group matches (12x6=72) and then the top 2 in each of 12 groups and then the best 8/12 3rd place teams to get to a round of 32 and then to a single elimination winner (and 3rd place game) for a total of 104. Maybe an 80/12/12 split?

Anything is better than the three team group idea - way too many problems potentially with that one.

Is it too late for Montreal to come in?

16 hours ago, Free kick said:

World Cup 2026: Fifa set to make decision on four-team group format this month - BBC Sport

quotes from Montagliani in that piece pretty much make it official 

Mentions teams playing in regional pods, but Canada is going to play in Toronto and Vancouver, not just one (at least I imagine).

Also, a lot of concern and complaints about CO2 and travel. The biggest irony, besides the irony that CO2 is a nutrient (photosynthesis), not a pollutant, is that FIFA are the ones who approved a continent-wide, North American World Cup in the first place. 😄

3 hours ago, narduch said:

Is it too late for Montreal to come in?

Yes.  Unless someone drops out.  Thats my guess.   Plus Montreal doesnt want it.   The stadium upgrades would be in the hundreds of millions. 300 million seems to ring a bell from what I recall

Edited by Free kick

If groups are playing out of regional pods, I guess this means Canada will be in either Toronto or Vancouver.  I was assuming that we would likely play a match in both.  I would think we will be in the Toronto pod but who knows, maybe Vancouver if the US is in the east and Mexico in the central time zone which means one of each of the host countries would be spread out across the time zones. Also, Vancouver is a larger stadium and Toronto would likely draw for anyone considering the multicultural fabric of the city.

On 3/4/2023 at 11:08 AM, An Observer said:

If groups are playing out of regional pods, I guess this means Canada will be in either Toronto or Vancouver.  I was assuming that we would likely play a match in both.  I would think we will be in the Toronto pod but who knows, maybe Vancouver if the US is in the east and Mexico in the central time zone which means one of each of the host countries would be spread out across the time zones. Also, Vancouver is a larger stadium and Toronto would likely draw for anyone considering the multicultural fabric of the city.

Of course, Vancouver is famously mono-cultural in its makeup. 😄