2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

46 minutes ago, lamptern said:

If 12 groups of 4 teams was the plan, then:

The change would make a huge difference in the amount of games at the World Cup, with 64 matches in Qatar going up to 104 across North America.

It would also last 35 days, instead of the current 28, and see teams have to play eight matches to win the entire tournament, instead of the previous seven.

Then either way I would still welcome that 

After some proposal digging, I found this:

https://www.natgoldc.com/2026
This unique format is almost perfect considering:

seven Ideal Tournament Criteria after putting everything together:

⚖️ Preserves competitive integrity

📣 Prioritizes entertainment value

3️⃣ Guarantees at least 3 games per team

🍎 Uses apples to apples comparisons

🗓 Fits within the existing World Cup calendar window

⛑ Protects players’ health

🏟 Adds no more extra matches than the host nation(s) can successfully accommodate

104 matches in 32 days, 4 more host cities, tons of extra revenue, no collusion in a 3 team group……I can’t find a plan better than this so far if FIFA wants to keep 16 groups to accommodate European teams evenly.

Granted there will be 48 teams regardless, the better way to increase the number of teams was 8 groups of 5, so you're adding only eight more teams.  But that would really increase the number of games overall, and more importantly would lengthen the tournament and mean it takes more games to win it.  Clubs don't like that.  Ultimately, the groups of three means it takes the same number of games to win the trophy, which keeps the same burden on the players. But man, groups of three really suck.  I predict lots of handshake-draw.

22 hours ago, xabuep2 said:

Hopefully the format of the 2026 World Cup will change to 12 groups of 4 countries, as has been discussed. So Canada would play at least 2 games in BC and one in BMO. The format of groups of 3 sucks.

Yep especially with the last group game has the potential to be fix or gentleman agreement in order both teams to advance. 

On 10/8/2022 at 12:43 PM, lamptern said:

🏟 Adds no more extra matches than the host nation(s) can successfully accommodate

104 matches in 32 days, 4 more host cities, tons of extra revenue, no collusion in a 3 team group……I can’t find a plan better than this so far if FIFA wants to keep 16 groups to accommodate European teams evenly.

This would be a fair way to do the groups of 3 and get rid of the stupid ‘best 3rd place’ finishers… I like it.  

This is an excellent idea.  Really like it.  Between this and the matchvision format, there is no shortage of solutions.  People just need to psychologically detach themselves from the concept of groups.

23 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

This is an excellent idea.  Really like it.  Between this and the matchvision format, there is no shortage of solutions.  People just need to psychologically detach themselves from the concept of groups.

True.  When one expands their thought process and stops thinking in terms groups, there are many possibilities.   One major flaw with that system (that they overlooked) is the fourth bullet point in the following:

image.png.25b72e15fdc4853a5e01e3a094d5af57.png

So what happens if one group is much stronger than the other and wins all the games against teams in the other group?  Or even if it's a little bit stronger than the other group and wins most of the game?  If group B is much stronger than group A (for example) then you could have a case whereby a team from group A (or both teams from group A) advances to the knockout stage without winning a single game.  Equally, a team from group B could be eliminated and have to go home and have to see a team that they defeated from group "A" advancing.   

But this got me thinking of a system that might work.   Its leverages from the matchvision system.  If, instead of thinking of groups, groups, and groups all the time.   You could set up a WC draw for each team to have three matches.  Each of your opponents would be from a different pot (ie.: we now have POT 1, 2, 3 & 4 teams) and you obviously wouldn't face an opponent from your own pot.   So everybody gets three matches guaranteed, obviously you wouldn't be able (or allowed) to face the same opponent twice.   Basically, instead of a draw to assign teams to groups, you have three draws for match opponents in Match Day 1, 2, and 3 of the now hypothetical group stage.  

When everyone has played three matches, Then you rank all 48 teams based on record and applying the usual tie breakers that they apply now plus a few new ones (eg.: goals in open play).   Now you stick the top 16 or 32 teams in the knockout brackets based on overall standing after 3 matches.  This might even be more fair than what they have now with 32 teams.

EDIT.:  I just realized after watching the video that the Matchvision format is more or less what mentioned.  So I should have been responding/replying to @lamptern post instead.

Edited by Free kick

I can actually support this now

These are some highly crucial and competitive matches in the World cup, I am looking forward to stream
26th November 2022 England vs USA
26th November 2022 France vs Denmark
27th November 2022 Argentina vs Mexico
28th November 2022 Spain vs Germany
29th November 2022 Portugal vs Uruguay
30th November 2022 Wales vs England
1st December 2022 Croatia vs Belgium

you guys can directly stream these important matches live online

Edited by TimSandberg56
wrong date written

Some tidbits from FIFA's 1 month to go press conference:

Infantino: Everything is ready. Everybody is welcome. 

Media: 12k+ media expected. 78 media rights holders. Media centre will house VAR. 2.7k non-accredited media for non-match coverage.

Pitch: All stadiums have grow lights, sub air system, hybrid stitching, 74 pitches in tournament footprint. 700 groundskeepers.

Team Base camps for the first time will be decorated in team colours. Japan will be the first team to arrive on Nov. 7. 

420k applied to be volunteers from 209 nationalities. 20k were chosen of which 89% live in Qatar. 85% have already been trained.

90 fan activation centres. Al Bidda Park in central Doha will show all matches with 40k capacity.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Not sure why this thread was moved to the Qatar sub- forum.

I have been wondering the same.   What did it need to be moved out from the forum where it was?   

What does this (2026 WC) have to do with Qatar 2022?

Edited by Free kick

• 4 weeks later...

We had a lengthy discussion in here about the quality of each region, under/over representation, etc. The AFC has now had the first host nation to not win it's opening match, and Qatar was absolutely dreadful while doing it. I'll continue to maintain that the AFC is secretly very terrible and despite their claims are actually over represented in the World Cup already. 

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

We had a lengthy discussion in here about the quality of each region, under/over representation, etc. The AFC has now had the first host nation to not win it's opening match, and Qatar was absolutely dreadful while doing it. I'll continue to maintain that the AFC is secretly very terrible and despite their claims are actually over represented in the World Cup already. 

Yeah but for 2026 they get 8 teams potential for a 9th team via Inter confederation playoff

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Should be “not win or draw”.

By the way, I agree AFC is over represented. Infantino was desperate to get China/India in.

6 minutes ago, lamptern said:

Should be “not win or draw”.

By the way, I agree AFC is over represented. Infantino was desperate to get China/India in.

Well China haven't been to a World Cup in over 20 years since 2002 so I can see why AFC got more spots but for India they have never qualified but 2026 they do have a chance

On 10/17/2022 at 10:58 AM, TimSandberg56 said:

These are some highly crucial and competitive matches in the World cup, I am looking forward to stream
26th November 2022 England vs USA
26th November 2022 France vs Denmark
27th November 2022 Argentina vs Mexico
28th November 2022 Spain vs Germany
29th November 2022 Portugal vs Uruguay
30th November 2022 Wales vs England
1st December 2022 Croatia vs Belgium

you guys can directly stream these important matches live online

The matches are becoming crucial, I was looking for options but got a superb black friday deal just came up with a crazy price of $1.33. BBC iPlayer runs smother via vpn. Highly recommended.

Another 4 year wait to get back to the World Cup but saving grace we are hosting it in our backyard but with that in mind it begs the question of where this team goes from here. Or who do we bring in because if Herdman is gone, then who to replace him as manager? Or if he stays, which players come into the team as a part of the new generation heading into 2026?