2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

On 9/4/2022 at 3:11 PM, johnyb said:

CONCACAF learn the number of qualification places for 2026 World Cup https://www.marca.com/en/world-cup/2022/09/01/63110d9f46163fb14f8b458e.html

Sounds official that the 3 hosts are guaranteed. 3 hosts, 3 qualifiers and 2 more available through playoff. 

From the article. "With the three giants of the region out of the picture, some teams with little or no World Cup experience will be able to dream big." Yes, I'm sure all of CONCACAF is thankful that finally Canada won't be blocking them from the World Cup.

• 4 weeks later...

Conflicting reports emerge as to whether AT&T Stadium will host 2026 World Cup final (yahoo.com)

Quote:  "Conflicting reports recently have emerged regarding the possibility that AT&T Stadium, home of the Dallas Cowboys, will serve as the location of the World Cup final.

It started with John Sutcliffe of ESPN. He’s present for the various Monday Night Football games, and he quite possibly was told something by someone with the Cowboys. It was repeated by Herculez Gomez of ESPN, and amplified by the ESPN FC Twitter account."....

Quote: "Dallas Mayor Eric Johnson told Livengood that “FIFA has not made a final decision” and that they “are not expecting an announcement until at least next year.

a photo alone (or with a sibling saying we back) of a player in a kit on the field doesnt mean much..is he in full training, individual training, light training apart from the group...a player could be doing light training on the field a couple months from knee surgery but still be months away from playing in a game...so need to know more before getting all excited

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

a photo alone (or with a sibling saying we back) of a player in a kit on the field doesnt mean much..is he in full training, individual training, light training apart from the group...a player could be doing light training on the field a couple months from knee surgery but still be months away from playing in a game...so need to know more before getting all excited

Galindo reported full training earlier today...not individual training, not light training, not light training apart from the group, full training. Also, wrong thread. Geez, keep up will ya🤣

7 minutes ago, Big_M said:

and his source was a turkish page which said training..and ppl like that with that track record of reporting no thanks..ill celebrate when ill see him on a match sheet

Yeah I checked his source a few mins ago and actually tweeted at him to get some clarification. Not the most airtight of reports lol.

Edited by PegCityCam

On 10/4/2022 at 3:15 AM, Big_M said:

The tweet is by his wife, she says we.

Training means in training gear with the team under the direction of those in charge of training sessions.

FYI and that of others, the only thing that happened was that his wife tweeted, if you all think that is unreliable speculation from the Turkish press, you are mistaken.

Don't think our captain deserves such dipstick hearsay and nonsense associated with an important step for him after a nagging injury.

Atiba Hutchinson I think this World Cup will be his last hurrah for Canada in Qatar. Come 2026, he will be 43 years old. I think he's done playing football ️ by the age of 40 or 41 at the latest and then he calls it a career altogether. Internationally I say he plays in Qatar and then Gold Cup 2023 will be his swansong for Canada. But by 2024 when he hits 41 years old, his playing career altogether will be done. 2026 he will probably be on Canada's coaching staff as one of our assistants but yeah he will be done by then.

4 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Atiba Hutchinson I think this World Cup will be his last hurrah for Canada in Qatar. Come 2026, he will be 43 years old. I think he's done playing football ️ by the age of 40 or 41 at the latest and then he calls it a career altogether. Internationally I say he plays in Qatar and then Gold Cup 2023 will be his swansong for Canada. But by 2024 when he hits 41 years old, his playing career altogether will be done. 2026 he will probably be on Canada's coaching staff as one of our assistants but yeah he will be done by then.

Atiba won’t become the oldest outfield player in WC history? Very bold take here. 

4 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

I think we need Atiba Jagr- WC ‘22, ‘26… ‘30

But being one of the hosts for 2026, if we auto qualify, then what? We don't have to take part in qualifying for our own tournament but then I wonder if we will just play Nations League games to help us prepare for when we host in 2026 or do we end up having more friendly matches against top nations?

7 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

But being one of the hosts for 2026, if we auto qualify, then what? We don't have to take part in qualifying for our own tournament but then I wonder if we will just play Nations League games to help us prepare for when we host in 2026 or do we end up having more friendly matches against top nations?

It all depends on how many international windows we get from now till 2026...FIFA hasn't confirm the schedule.  They usually release it every 4 years.

Side Note - Qatar played one of the UEFA Qualifying Group to prepare to World Cup 2022.  Qatar to participate in European qualifying for 2022 World Cup | Sport (news24.com).   So hopefully we can get to do the same for upcoming Qualifiers.

1 hour ago, Jedi Ram said:

It all depends on how many international windows we get from now till 2026...FIFA hasn't confirm the schedule.  They usually release it every 4 years.

Side Note - Qatar played one of the UEFA Qualifying Group to prepare to World Cup 2022.  Qatar to participate in European qualifying for 2022 World Cup | Sport (news24.com).   So hopefully we can get to do the same for upcoming Qualifiers.

2024 Copa America. 

Edited by narduch

32 minutes ago, Jedi Ram said:

It's a tournament, but would be great if we are invited. But long term organizing friendlies will be a problem as few countries have open date and we can't keep playing USA and Mex all the time. 

But we shall see how it plays out. 

UEFA Nations League really does mess shit up

27 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

Hopefully the format of the 2026 World Cup will change to 12 groups of 4 countries, as has been discussed. So Canada would play at least 2 games in BC and one in BMO. The format of groups of 3 sucks.

Rather have 12 groups of 4 teams and the best 8 3rd place teams advance to Round of 32 because it is much more fair and balanced 

If 12 groups of 4 teams was the plan, then:

The change would make a huge difference in the amount of games at the World Cup, with 64 matches in Qatar going up to 104 across North America.

It would also last 35 days, instead of the current 28, and see teams have to play eight matches to win the entire tournament, instead of the previous seven.