CPL Playing During the Coronavirus/Covid19 Pandemic

To be fair to CPL,  MLS did have a bum buddy with crazy deep pockets in ESPN/Disney who was willing to do whatever and has the ability to tweek public perception and public backlash

CPL has been dealing with provincial governments which ain't fun in the best of times and almost all they care about is public perception 

Edited by SpursFlu

It doesn’t help that PEI is no longer COVID free, and that our first cases in quite a while happened immediately after we opened the Atlantic bubble.   Not that the bubble caused the cases, but perceptions matter.  Hopefully the change in circumstances doesn’t slow down the progress so far and it gets done (here) soon.  

Thats likely the reality as things open back up. Things are going to rise and dip ad nauseam. If the CPL are waiting for things to calm down with Covid (which they wont be), they will be waiting until 2021. CPL just aren't in the same position money wise as other leagues so I respect it takes time. Doesn't make it any less frustrating. Will be savouring watching every minute of every game once its back!

3 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I've said it before, but I think it's very clear that MediaPro deal is mostly services and not much cash.  That still doesn't make it a bad deal, just not what I get the feeling some people thought it was.

Services for a league not playing, is that what you are arguing?

For me it makes sense, if you are not playing, to ask Mediapro to carry over the CASH for next season.

33 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Services for a league not playing, is that what you are arguing?

For me it makes sense, if you are not playing, to ask Mediapro to carry over the CASH for next season.

No.  I mean that the "$20 million a year" isn't in cash, but rather some cash but mostly services valuing it up to $20 million (such as the cost of producing all the broadcasts).  If it was mostly cash, the league wouldn't be having the cash flow issues in getting this tournament started.

I agree that it is likely their investment in terms of costs, rather than handing over money. And I would point out it is almost certainly not an even split, 20 million each year. It probably is slated to grow over time since the league was projecting significant expansion. For example, if they are serious about the league being 16 teams by 2026, then maybe MediaPro is expecting $15 million in cost these days (if there hadn’t been a pandemic) and $30 million in 2026. So if expansion doesn’t meet their projections, the investment may end up being less (or it could be more if they start making good money on the league).

Apologies for the off topic post.

I am just assuming that Mediapro is not putting out the money for something that is not happening, and is perhaps pressuring the CPL to take this year as a write-off, running the tournament in a way that does not increase losses unnecessarily. Cover salaries, don't go under, come back next year stronger.

I'd love to have the numbers breakdown.

A short tournament would be nice, but the way our public health officers in Canada are coordinating, and contrasting their work with what is happening in the US, I accept that they are on the side of caution. This is not the time for a Premier or Cabinet to pressure for a tournament of this kind over the will of their health professionals.  I find it surprising, we are amongst the most cautious countries in the world. 

6 hours ago, Cblake said:

Indiana where they let fans into the Indy 11 game, there were 2,785 new cases yesterday vs. 102 in Ontario. I am not willing to let fans in here and risk an uptick. Not worth the risk. 

Yikes... Indiana has less than half the population of Ontario.

17 hours ago, Cblake said:

Indiana where they let fans into the Indy 11 game, there were 2,785 new cases yesterday vs. 102 in Ontario. I am not willing to let fans in here and risk an uptick. Not worth the risk. 

As long as social distancing, wearing masks, etc is followed see no reason limited fan attendance shouldn't be allowed.

They can do it indoors at the store etc, so doing it at a large outdoor stadium, where the risk is very small transmission wise (as BC's Dr Henry basically said) should be acceptable.

24 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

As long as social distancing, wearing masks, etc is followed see no reason limited fan attendance shouldn't be allowed.

They can do it indoors at the store etc, so doing it at a large outdoor stadium, where the risk is very small transmission wise (as BC's Dr Henry basically said) should be acceptable.

I'd like to see them put 1 in 5 seats, or less, and give season ticket holders the option to see 1 in 5 or so games over the course of the season. Masks, distancing on concessions. But if they're not doing it in Europe I doubt they will here. 

USL seems to be doing well on its resumed season with some strict guidelines :

COVID-19 Update: USL Championship confirms nine players from eight clubs test positive

"On Monday, the United Soccer League (USL) confirmed that 2,357 tests were administered to 1,227 players and club staff from the 35 Championship clubs, including the Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC, between June 30th and July 13th with nine individuals testing positive from eight clubs. 

What happens after a positive test?

• The individual will be immediately isolated and receive follow-up care and treatment from team physicians and infectious disease experts.
  • If appropriate (at the discretion of the team physician), the individual may be tested again to ensure the initial test was not a false positive.  
  • All indoor areas in which the individual has been will be closed for 24 hours for cleaning and disinfection.
  • The individual’s club, in consultation with the state or local health department, will conduct a contact tracing investigation.
  • Anyone identified in the contact tracing investigation will immediately quarantine and be tested one or more times on a schedule to be determined by the team physician"

https://pittsburghsoccernow.com/2020/07/21/covid-19-update-usl-championship-confirms-nine-players-from-eight-clubs-test-positive/

Edited by CDNFootballer

I mean I guess it also wouldn't be a problem if the whole world was as stringently tested then vetted before they share the doritos either. 😛 

In terms of the never ending wait for a CPL announcement the more steady flow of info about signings at clubs over the past week or so is a good sign things are closed to getting ready to roll. Just hope we can get back to watching CPL sooner rather than later. 

7 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I mean I guess it also wouldn't be a problem if the whole world was as stringently tested then vetted before they share the doritos either. 😛 

In terms of the never ending wait for a CPL announcement the more steady flow of info about signings at clubs over the past week or so is a good sign things are closed to getting ready to roll. Just hope we can get back to watching CPL sooner rather than later. 

Yah oddly the MLS medical folks felt it was necessary to wear a mask while talking in to a tv camera but sharing food with your bare hands was all good. I guess that's what they mean by "Health Experts"

I know how frustrated I am as a fan of the league. This must be painful for the players.

https://northerntribune.ca/canadian-premier-league-return-to-play-questions/?fbclid=IwAR0gNxP5KK4LLyGVAd02DUf5asSSGwgQKPfuNHFT9lsdng9RD6h6nHOv0_w

I really don't understand why the league website would feel the need to show players training without announcing any ort of plan.