CPL Playing During the Coronavirus/Covid19 Pandemic

On 7/4/2020 at 2:03 PM, Trois Reds said:

Probably because 3 of the 7 teams are within an hour's drive of each other and Toronto, one of them is the hub city, and Ottawa is within driving distance and is in the province.  Just a quick check on the CEBL website shows that Saskatchewan's training camp roster are mostly players from Ontario. All of Hamilton's are.  The CPL is more spread out, both with teams and where players are from.  Half of the CEBL didn't even need to leave Ontario to quarantine - they already live there!

Guess you hadn't been introduced the the sites resident troll.

Just read through the last week's posts. So little content.

What is status of this ... I thought we were going to hear a July 1st announcement? I haven't been following closely, but I can't see any information.

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

Just read through the last week's posts. So little content.

What is status of this ... I thought we were going to hear a July 1st announcement? I haven't been following closely, but I can't see any information.

The July 1st "announcement" was just a rumour, nothing official from the league.  Having said that, I wouldn't trust anything coming from the league until they announce an actual date.  The standard "30 days" got replaced with "in 2 weeks" about a month ago.

15 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Read this thread 

If they're waiting to see how it goes for Blue Jays training, the post-season NHL, and possibly the CFL, and hoping that local governments ease sanctioning based on that, then I think you're maybe looking at just this tournament and the Voyagers Cup this year.  There just won't be much time left for anything else.

43 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

If they're waiting to see how it goes for Blue Jays training, the post-season NHL, and possibly the CFL, and hoping that local governments ease sanctioning based on that, then I think you're maybe looking at just this tournament and the Voyagers Cup this year.  There just won't be much time left for anything else.

I’d accept that. I really hope we see a voyageurs cup this year.  

19 minutes ago, Alex said:

I’d accept that. I really hope we see a voyageurs cup this year.  

Yeah I'd take it and I'd like to see an expanded Canadian championship, it might work cause I don't expect MLS to have more games after the tournament. 

I'm not sure about the "safe" part but if they're forced to follow all these protocols then surely its expensive and surely you'll find a positive and then it snowball from there and becomes all for not. I know some leagues just check symptoms, I wish that was the approach because as its been proven, it's nearly impossible to spread a virus in the duration of a football match. I understand there's lots of money being made on these tests but your asking a company to sink millions with these tests holding everything in the balance. It's a roll of the dice. 

If bringing in the MLS teams and just running a Voyageurs makes more sense financially that would be fine. The problem is the MLS would probably not allow it because it would lend more credibility to the CPL.

Edited by SpursFlu

11 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

If bringing in the MLS teams and just running a Voyageurs makes more sense financially that would be fine. The problem is the MLS would probably not allow it because it would lend more credibility to the CPL.

You mean having a V-cup with the CPL/MLS teams??  Why would they care about that...we were going to do that anyway.  Would MLS have any say in whether they participate or not??  

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

I wish that was the approach because as its been proven, it's nearly impossible to spread a virus in the duration of a football match.

I would assume the concern would be over quarantining all the players together, where it's been proven that it's very possible to spread the virus.

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

I don't think the MLS would have a problem with it anymore than they normally do.  If anything, this would lend more credibility to the MLS less credibility to the CPL: you can't even afford to get your season up and running and need our teams help to do this.

6 hours ago, Ansem said:

Read this thread 

For the 1st part I'm going to offer an alternative scenario.  Petty Squabbling amongst the various partners who now make up the CPL ownership, plain & simple.  Just because that's been the go-to template for any type of footie governance we've had in this country for the last 40 years or so.

For the 2nd part.  Yeah.  Maybe should've given that "MLS is back" thingy a bit more of a think.  Hopefully not but things could get worse yet.  (Speaking of getting worse, SPL kicks off August Long!  Celtic on a quest for their 10th league title on the hop and still no CelticTV availble through your game consoles).

And no, the two points above do not mutually disqualify one another. 

33 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

I don't think we will see anything til September but it will be in home stadiums with some fans. (Usl can do it why can't we by then). Ontario is about to go to stage 3. 

I'm not ready yet to write off the possibility of playing games with fans in seats in 2020, but we should not be looking to anything happening south of the border as a model for a restart.

USL returned to continue they're regular season over the weekend with multiple games and social distanced limited fans in attendance. Indy Eleven had over 4700 in attendance, Louisville opened they're new 15K stadium with 4800 fans, and Tampa Bay Rowdies limited they're first game to 140 invite only fans.

USL Championship 2020 season resumes

https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2020/07/usl-championship-2020-season-resumes/

Think it will actually happen this week re an announcement for the CPL return to the field. Not easy to set this up amid the coronavirus situation but hopefully its back to the pitch soon :

Canadian Premier League Expected To Make Announcement This Week

https://northerntribune.ca/canadian-premier-league-return-to-play-soon/

"The modified Canadian Premier League tournament is expected to see each club play eachother once, with the top four teams then moving on to the playoffs. In the last few months the cities of Langford, Charlottetown, and Moncton have all been mentioned as possible tournament hub locations, but it’s not clear which bid ultimately won out. Rumours of utilizing multiple sites within the Atlantic Bubble have recently sprung up, too.

The tournament is expected to begin in the first half of August, though it’s still unclear how long players and staff will need to isolate ahead of the competition, or what protocols will be put in place to prioritize the safety of all involved in the 2020 Canadian Premier League season."

1 hour ago, CDNFootballer said:

USL returned to continue they're regular season over the weekend with multiple games and social distanced limited fans in attendance. Indy Eleven had over 4700 in attendance, Louisville opened they're new 15K stadium with 4800 fans, and Tampa Bay Rowdies limited they're first game to 140 invite only fans.

USL Championship 2020 season resumes

https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2020/07/usl-championship-2020-season-resumes/

You're missing the key piece from the article, on Indy Eleven: "The announced attendance at Saturday’s contest was 4,761, although that likely included several season ticketholder no shows. The actual number of spectators appeared significantly less."

Just getting everyone ready for the CPL's possible return there.

38 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

You're missing the key piece from the article, on Indy Eleven: "The announced attendance at Saturday’s contest was 4,761, although that likely included several season ticketholder no shows. The actual number of spectators appeared significantly less."

Just getting everyone ready for the CPL's possible return there.

Where are the pictures of the crowd??And how many of those fans actually paid for the tickets?  HEHEHE.