CPL Playing During the Coronavirus/Covid19 Pandemic

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Hey, we aren’t all potatoes and Anne of Green Gables.  

I mean, we also have....

Well, we got....

You know what - screw you guys. 

(But we do have world class beaches) 

Well ... great golf courses and Heather Moyes.

Actually think PEI has more bobsled gold medals per capita than anyplace when you include Dave MacEachern's.

Also, Michael Smith, Chef at Home!

Beyond that, I'm at a loss.

23 minutes ago, nolando said:

Top five soccer players from PEI?

There aren't a ton, but a few have had a decent go at it.   

- Mozzi Gyori played with a few clubs in NA and Europe.  I used to play with him when he was 12 and joined his dad (Cshaba, a former Yugoslov pro) in a local pick-up game.  Mozzi's older brother Shaul was killed in a car accident at the age of 17 and everyone expected him to turn pro as well.

- Lewis Page played pro soccer domestically and briefly in England but has established himself as a great coach.  I worked in the office beside Lewis a few years ago.

- Paul Craig played with FC Edmonton in NASL.  Don't know too much about him.

- Ibrah Sanoh plays with the HFX Wanderers and before that tore up the Canadian Collegiate soccer scene with the Holland College Hurricanes.  I played indoor against Ibrah and his brother played on my team for a bunch of years (and coached one of my kids).   

Can't think of a 5th, but watching the talent of kids now coming up through the system and their access to elite training streams, I am confident there will be more in the future :)

Lots of info here too.  From TSN, of all places: https://www.tsn.ca/source-canadian-premier-league-to-play-2020-season-in-charlottetown-1.1501390

Some notable points: first game will be Forge vs Cavalry;  players can opt out, though none have yet; and there may be spectators, depending on conditions and regulations.  Also all games will be on OneSoccer, but they may have games on other networks.

I'm so happy. Finally it's happening. 😁

7 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Hey, we aren’t all potatoes and Anne of Green Gables.  

I mean, we also have....

Well, we got....

You know what - screw you guys. 

(But we do have world class beaches) 

So you really are on PEI?

I spent time there when you still had to take a ferry. I remember beautiful dunes on the beaches, up in Cavendish of course. Very friendly people. Intense red earth, green grass. Grass green enough to want to see our matches played on something similar, a verdant carpet please. Sleeping under the overhang of I guess it was the Parliament building downtown  Confederation Centre for the Arts (a concrete brutalist style building)? After being given a small house to stay in by someone who picked us up hitchhiking, just given it, empty and comfy. For 3 days, out near Hunter River.  He only came by at the end to pick up the keys. But hospitality was over the top back then, all across the country.

So for me, if they pay a million to promote PEI and get the One Soccer teams out and about, and if we play in optimum conditions, and they train in similarly excellent facilities, all the better. Those players better realise what an amazing bubble they are getting.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

There aren't a ton, but a few have had a decent go at it.   

- Mozzi Gyori played with a few clubs in NA and Europe.  I used to play with him when he was 12 and joined his dad (Cshaba, a former Yugoslov pro) in a local pick-up game.  Mozzi's older brother Shaul was killed in a car accident at the age of 17 and everyone expected him to turn pro as well.

- Lewis Page played pro soccer domestically and briefly in England but has established himself as a great coach.  I worked in the office beside Lewis a few years ago.

- Paul Craig played with FC Edmonton in NASL.  Don't know too much about him.

- Ibrah Sanoh plays with the HFX Wanderers and before that tore up the Canadian Collegiate soccer scene with the Holland College Hurricanes.  I played indoor against Ibrah and his brother played on my team for a bunch of years (and coached one of my kids).   

Can't think of a 5th, but watching the talent of kids now coming up through the system and their access to elite training streams, I am confident there will be more in the future :)

Keep going: what is your take on the club scene, amateur, and the teams going to the national championship over the years? We are interested in it all, these posts are great.