CPL Playing During the Coronavirus/Covid19 Pandemic

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Is it a little surprising that Saskatchewan hasn't come up as a potential site?  Neutral venue, either Regina or Saskatoon would be big enough (in terms of accommodation), plus driving some interest in to a market you're interested in expanding in to at some point in the future.

Sask and Man always get screwed.  You watch, it'll go to BC.  280 bucks for a round of golf....I can get you on a nice public course in SW MB for 8$.  The sand greens might be a bit tricky for the golf "snobs" though.   

Sand-greens+golf.jpg

Edited by Bison44

An angle to explore might be whether they need a screening only as opposed to regular testing approach to be able to make it fly financially. The expense of the latter made it a complete non-starter in Scotland in financial terms, while more lucrative broadcast deals made the numbers work in an English context.

I suspect Novak Djokovic (Onesoccer announcers should note what happens phonetically to the D with the funny line through it in names like Didic) probably hasn't done sports bodies wanting the former sort of approach combined with no quarantines any favours with his Adria Tour event.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

41 minutes ago, Big_M said:

wow..reposting tweets over and over in a bunch of threads..if we want to see that we can go on twitter

@Ozzie_the_parrot has gone from endlessly spamming this forum with pictures of crowds to searching twitter for #CanPL and reposting everything he finds.

Ozzie you need to be more selective about what you repost, this site is not an aggregator it’s a discussion forum.

8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Arguing bitterly over the location of closed door games you can only watch on Onesoccer is definitely a bit bizarre

There's very little to discuss about this league these days. I can forgive people for trying to spark conversation. Also, I think a lot of people feel like they've given up a lot in recent months in order to get the virus under control in their neck of the woods. Hosting the league would feel like a bit of recognition for that, and I'm sure there will be financial benefits to the communities as well.

Edited by Aird25

Makes sense that there would be an issue with creating a bubble on university campuses because even before undergrads get back there will typically still be lots of academics, postgrads and staff around through the summer months that will expect regular access to campus facilities. Not Duane Rollins' biggest fan but that definitely rings true. Also makes sense that people who are less unfamiliar with universities might assume it would be like a high school during the summer.

If the CPL had agreed to quarantine weeks ago, they wouldn't be having issues with the quarantine rules now. Why are they waiting until a province changes the rules? It's taken way more than two weeks to negotiate!

If there are other factors, ok, I can understand. But what are they? And if there aren't any, why wait another month to have two week's quarantine waived? They could have been playing today.

7 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Are all the players in the country yet?  They might not be able to start 2 weeks quarentine if they dont know when they'll get all their players into the Canada.  

No they aren't. I know at least 4 y9 players aren't here. 

Pure speculation on my part but a 14 day quarantine maybe also entails having a rigid testing regime in place that may not be covered out of province at the moment by the other provincial health care plans and is unlikely to be inexpensive to do at the present time.

Being able to travel with quarantine waived and only do daily symptom screening thereafter would be how to do this on a budget. When the latest deal with the players was being sorted out it sounded from a lot of what was being said that the league wanted to avoid testing.

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Makes sense that there would be an issue with creating a bubble on university campuses because even before undergrads get back there will typically still be lots of academics, postgrads and staff around through the summer months that will expect regular access to campus facilities. Not Duane Rollins' biggest fan but that definitely rings true. Also makes sense that people who are less unfamiliar with universities might assume it would be like a high school during the summer.

Disregarding the fact that many universities have already announced a primarily remote learning model for the fall semester, in many instances the stadium is the only on-campus facility they would need to access. Using IG Field at the University of Manitoba as an example, they would only be sharing stadium facilities with U-Sports football (season canceled) and CFL (also likely to cancel). Unless teams were staying in dorms, they would be staying in hotels off campus anyway. The bubble would be comprised of hotel-bus-stadium and there would be no interaction with staff or students on a largely empty campus. It's all rather nonsensical which leads me to believe this particular detail is not exactly true as we're seeing it reported.

Undergraduate teaching is only a small part of what normally happens on a university campus. Graduate students and academics won't all be in remote learning mode because many particularly in faculties like dentistry, medicine, science and engineering actively do research or hands on training on campus year round like they were working a regular job.

Isn't the whole idea of a bubble for this that the players are based 24/7 at a campus type location with both the stadium and accommodation on site that also has plenty of amenities for them but is isolated off from the wider community? That isn't going to fly on a university campus at this time of year just because the undergrads aren't around. MLS are going to Orlando because they found a location there that actually works from that standpoint.

The Manitoba campus is more or less closed for the time being. I don't know how things are elsewhere. The Orlando NBA/MLS model is just as exposed with all the resort staff commuting each day into the bubble. Every plan has a vulnerability. Seems to me there is no season at all if they require a perfect plan. In the end, that may be the correct decision.

8 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

@Ozzie_the_parrot has gone from endlessly spamming this forum with pictures of crowds to searching twitter for #CanPL and reposting everything he finds.

Ozzie you need to be more selective about what you repost, this site is not an aggregator it’s a discussion forum.

"Link spammers usually don't leave comments of any value along with their links."

The definition seems to fit the parrot, other forums have a rule on link spamming, not sure about this one.

The odd post here and there is ok but the spamming frenzie lately has led me to simply scroll past that content and ignore it.

NISA getting back on the field starting July 11th with the NISA Independent Cup" involving 15 clubs and includes an official sponsor, COVIDMD :

https://www.nisasoccer.com/news/2020/07/01/nisa-independent-cup

"The Independent Cup champions the spirit of the game, allowing talent to take the field and the beautiful game to shine on the pitch. It's the first of its kind where only independent clubs compete and one that our Fall to Spring schedule allows. We look forward to this being an annual event allowing both amateur and professional clubs to compete for the Cup in the true meaning of independent soccer.", NISA Commissioner John Prutch on the significance of the Independent Cup

The Independent Cup will feature 4 Regions and 15 clubs culminating in 4 regional champions in its inaugural 2020 Cup. "The participating clubs have shown incredible determination and support for one another and the NISA Independent Cup. Their ownership of the process has resulted in a competition that serves the best interest of all clubs and exemplifies the unity
of independent community-based clubs. I am so incredibly excited to continue to work with the NISA Board and their independent amateur brethren as the NISA Independent Cup will continue to evolve in future years.", said NISA EVP of Expansion Joshua Prutch."

Edited by CDNFootballer

I think the bubble aspect is that they are all in one city, play/practice at limited stadiums and the league can control testing etc, without having multiple places testing, multiple set ups for tv, and players criss crossing the nation with quarentenes etc etc.  A bus rental can haul teams back and forth, I dont really think the teams all have to stay in the same hotel/dorm or that lodging has to be on the same site as the fields.  And I dont know what it was like at your University, but the sports complex/fields werent connected to the research labs and library etc, and during the summer much of the school was like a ghost town. Plus you could and many people did do 4 years and never visit parts of the school. 

I'm wondering if its some legal thing? The school doesnt want to be liabel in case something goes sideways.