CPL Playing During the Coronavirus/Covid19 Pandemic

11 minutes ago, Big_M said:

clanachan saying this is the season..half the teams get 7 games and the other half get at least 10..should have given more games to the bottom half if this is it for this year

I think you get more than 7 if you make the playoffs.

14 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Keep going: what is your take on the club scene, amateur, and the teams going to the national championship over the years? We are interested in it all, these posts are great.

Footy is popular here but alway has taken a back seat to hockey (no big surprise).  Lots of hockey guys play soccer in the summer to stay in shape. I actually think a lot of the skills are transferable - more so that some other sports.  The downside is that hockey camps still take priority if there is a scheduling conflict.  The U13 team I coach has suffered from this already this summer...

For club teams, we tend to do well in the leagues we compete in (we usually have a rep in either the top NB or NS league).  There are usually enough top players to sustain a good team and a bit, but not enough to sustain a full top league, so rather than water down the talent, the top guys form a team and play in another Maritime premier league   And because we concentrate the talent into one team, they usually are very competitive.  When we hosted the Challenge Cup (the national senior championship for amateur teams) we won it on home soil.   Really exciting game to watch. 

In terms of post secondary teams, both the Panthers (UPEI) and the Hurricanes (Holland College) generally do well considering our size.   Once again, having one institution each in the province means that the talent isn’t diluted.  That isn’t to say they are superstars but they do well for relatively small schools   In 2014 the men’s team won bronze in the national championship as hosts - first time we had medaled.  

In term of future prospects I really do think we will churn out some quality players in the coming years.   There are lots of talented kids playing at all levels and unlike in decades past, there are a crazy amount of camps and training opportunities.  We have a great indoor turf facility which lets players stay tuned up all year round.  For training, Mozzi offers special training for elite-stream kids, the Whitecaps have academy connections here, and lots of other opportunities exist.  Not saying we are unique in that or anything, but it is light years ahead of where we were 15-20 years ago when it was mostly just a summer activity for fun.   And with a really large influx of immigrants over the last 20 years, there are tons of kids who no longer view footy just as cross-training for hockey.  Ibrah is the first CPL player (at least that I know of) with strong ties to the Island but I don’t think he will be the last.   Hopefully the Island Games tournament will inspire some local kids. 

37 minutes ago, Big_M said:

clanachan saying this is the season..half the teams get 7 games and the other half get at least 10..should have given more games to the bottom half if this is it for this year

I think theses bubbles can only last so long though.

There is always the possibility of the Voyageurs Cup afterwards I guess.

55 minutes ago, Big_M said:

I agree. Let the bottom four play for 5th to 8th spot, it gives us matches we'd watch if our team does not make it , and gives coaches and players the games they need.

11 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I agree. Let the bottom four play for 5th to 8th spot, it gives us matches we'd watch if our team does not make it , and gives coaches and players the games they need.

But it also costs more to keep those teams there, while having very limited income. I think they're doing the best they can (hence the 2nd round robin group and not a straight knock out) but there's a limit to what they can do.

7 hours ago, Andrew W said:

Well ... great golf courses and Heather Moyes.

Actually think PEI has more bobsled gold medals per capita than anyplace when you include Dave MacEachern's.

Also, Michael Smith, Chef at Home!

Beyond that, I'm at a loss.

Hey now. Go easy. My mom was born in PEI. I have a fondness for the place. 

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Apologies havent watched the video yet so this might have been covered. I read the V Cup was maybe taking place after this is done? Has Clanachan ruled that out or just saying this is the CPL league season done?

Makes sense to me that there is a modified V-Cup after to fill out the gap. 

8 hours ago, Watchmen said:

But it also costs more to keep those teams there, while having very limited income. I think they're doing the best they can (hence the 2nd round robin group and not a straight knock out) but there's a limit to what they can do.

The cost of staying a few more days, in the same set up? Not significant. 8 more days of hotel and meals.

The teams are all paying players and staff, and they have fans interested in watching them. So make the most of it. Get games, see players, work out problems, turn things around, have the basis to make decisions for the future.

What can you really do on the basis of 7 games? Better with ten. Play a group stage with the four bottom teams, and let the final rank of the group decide the final placement. But especially because we need those games.

We are talking about teams with new coaches, new players, lots of things to sort out for next season. If you have a bad 7 games, what do you do, replace the coach? If a kid has a bad thirty minutes do you cut him? If you play out for 5 to 8th spot, you at least get an idea if a coach is starting to figure things out, you get a look at more players, you can try out the kids, all sorts of things.

Giving the top four only those extra games, almost 50% more, gives those top teams an edge for next year as well. Not even fair.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The cost of staying a few more days, in the same set up? Not significant. 8 more days of hotel and meals.

The teams are all paying players and staff, and they have fans interested in watching them. So make the most of it. Get games, see players, work out problems, turn things around, have the basis to make decisions for the future.

What can you really do on the basis of 7 games? Better with ten. Play a group stage with the four bottom teams, and let the final rank of the group decide the final placement. But especially because we need those games.

We are talking about teams with new coaches, new players, lots of things to sort out for next season. If you have a bad 7 games, what do you do, replace the coach? If a kid has a bad thirty minutes do you cut him? If you play out for 5 to 8th spot, you at least get an idea if a coach is starting to figure things out, you get a look at more players, you can try out the kids, all sorts of things.

Giving the top four only those extra games, almost 50% more, gives those top teams an edge for next year as well. Not even fair.

I think given the margins they're trying to run this thing on, 8 more days of hotels, meals, and tests for 4 teams is significant to them.  That the difference between 7 and 10 is negligible in terms of the data they'll gather, and that the extra games from the already eliminated teams isn't going to generate enough additional interest to make them worth while.

the other thing is that after the first round its a group stage so a team that lets say is sure of finishing top four after 5-6 games has nothing to play for as they will face the three other teams rather than trying to finish first to face the fourth team in an elimination round..so there could be a bunch of games at the end of the first round where at least one team doesnt care about the result

10 minutes ago, Big_M said:

the other thing is that after the first round its a group stage so a team that lets say is sure of finishing top four after 5-6 games has nothing to play for as they will face the three other teams rather than trying to finish first to face the fourth team in an elimination round..so there could be a bunch of games at the end of the first round where at least one team doesnt care about the result

This is a good point. If its a knock out you might still be jockeying for a better position to face a weaker team.

With this format there is no difference finishing 1 thru 4.

Maybe finishing 1st gives you a bye in the Voyageurs Cup?

19 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We could use it as a Voyageurs Cup preliminary stage. Have the bottom 4 play off for a V Cup spot.

The 2020 V Cup could be an 8 team knock out competition - the 3 MLS clubs + the top 4 from the Island Games + 1 team from the 5-8 spots

1 hour ago, narduch said:

We could use it as a Voyageurs Cup preliminary stage. Have the bottom 4 play off for a V Cup spot.

The 2020 V Cup could be an 8 team knock out competition - the 3 MLS clubs + the top 4 from the Island Games + 1 team from the 5-8 spots

I don't think placing in the top 4 of a 7 game round robin is a large enough achievement to be given two advantages over the bottom four: the right to play for the league championship AND a bye through the first round of the Voyageurs Cup.

Edited by jonovision

17 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I like the set up.. I really like the 2nd round of 4 teams. That should produce some good games

I'm also excited for a place like PEI to get some shine. It looks like a lovely place

VCup in front of fans in October. One can dream 

Format reminds me of World Cup 82. Classic match occurred between Brasil & Italia in 2nd stage. Though, I believe WC carried over first round points.

It's also similar to Cricket World Cup.

Benefits of this format are that it minimizes chances a one-off result knocks out a worthy champion if knock out stage is utilized. And second round should give better quality matches.

Edited by red card