CPL Playing During the Coronavirus/Covid19 Pandemic

I dont get the contingent that thinks teams wont care etc etc they'll be games where only one team has anything at stake.  These teams might only get a 7 game season and then a couple v-cup games...and thats it until next year.  Every player lucky enough to get on the field should be playing their guts out.  And any manager who thinks they'll just show up, tank some games and be back next season is crazy.  You want to keep your job, the team better not be an embarassment (looking at you Gale).  And if you want a shot at a better league or a CMNT call up(Didic/Zator, Pantemis/Carducci, Petrasso/Bustous/Ongaro etc) you better make the most of what might only be 7 games.  I would think the stakes are high enough no one is going to take a game off.  

10 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/canada-can/story/4150249/bayern-munichs-alphonso-davies-is-canadas-northern-star-cpl-commissioner

ESPN wrote an article about the CPL restart. They also managed to not mention the CPL in the heading on their website. Instead going with Alphonso Davies is a miracle for Canadian soccer

Sure, but they also avoided mentioning that Davies went through MLS and not the CPL.  If you didn't know the Whitecaps played in MLS, it's very much written as if the CPL developed him.

8 hours ago, toontownman said:

And Ottawa 6 players short of a full squad!

They're coming! ... we think...

The CanPL Discord Detectives believe that Maksym Kowal, Mohamed Kourouma, Jarred Phillips, and Ben McKendry are likely joining/already with the team, though we've been wrong before and that's still missing a 3rd CB. 🙃

49 minutes ago, Viruk42 said:

They're coming! ... we think...

The CanPL Discord Detectives believe that Maksym Kowal, Mohamed Kourouma, Jarred Phillips, and Ben McKendry are likely joining/already with the team, though we've been wrong before and that's still missing a 3rd CB. 🙃

A team short on CBs? What's the worst that could happen? (long look over at 2019 Valour)

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

I think every team should get a month of Adam Mitter just to see how it feels.

I'm starting to think the Henry haters should be forced to watch a highlight video of Mitter.  Just so they can see a real disaster is like.  Not exactly a red card penalty kick fiasco, but a guy who spends more energy yelling and pointing after the goal than he ever did marking before it.  

3 hours ago, narduch said:

Apparently the Western teams are all flying on the same charter to PEI today.

Same for the Ontario teams. Halifax will be getting there on their own.

The Atlantic Canadian in me feels it imperative to remind everyone that only one club in the CPL (so far) is from the East Coast - the Wanderers. York 9, Forge and Atletico are all from Onterrible. ;)

I'll leave it to @ted and other Britannic Columbians to make the same public service announcement regarding West Coast clubs. 

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

I would say if you have to drive 10 hours to see the ocean, your not from the coast

By that criteria, both Toronto and Ottawa are from the coast! Only a 6-hour drive from Toronto to where the St. Lawrence becomes tidal ... and 7 hours from Hamilton to the Atlantic coast in New England!

Gosh, that's a long flight from Victoria with 3 stops and 4 hops. 

4 hours ago, Viruk42 said:

It's a lot of stops, but it's not even 12 hours long! Try flying Ottawa > Toronto > Vienna > Cairo 😛

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

I live in Melbourne. I'm happy to compare flying times with anyone! 😄 

Funny, as I’ve lived in Cairo (Heliopolis) and Melbourne (St. Kinda), but I can’t recall if either of those were longer than my total trip to Malaysia (Penang). I think it might have been more to do with time during stopovers though. The actual flight to Oz wins hands down for actual flying time for me though - 16 hour flight from San Fran to Sydney.  

Just now, maccaliam said:

Funny, as I’ve lived in Cairo (Heliopolis) and Melbourne (St. Kinda), but I can’t recall if either of those were longer than my total trip to Malaysia (Penang). I think it might have been more to do with time during stopovers though. The actual flight to Oz wins hands down for actual flying time for me though - 16 hour flight from San Fran to Sydney.  

Actually, pre-pandemic, AC was flying YVR-MEL, direct, 3-4 times a week. It's 16+ hours in the air, but I could go from my living room to my Dad's kitchen in about 20 hours. It used to be 2 or 3 stops, making travel time closer to 30 hours. Melbourne to London is usually up around 28-30 hours, total travel time, depending on the carrier and route.