CPL Playing During the Coronavirus/Covid19 Pandemic

Why would no fans in the stands bother media pro much.  If there are no crowds, wouldnt more people be inclined sign on to see it online? And the convinience of having a bunch of games all in one spot in a condensed time frame instead of all over might allow them to lower production costs.  I still see this tournie as a band aid, to get something on tv (keep sponsers/media pro/onesoccer happier, keep the league relevant) while they wait it out and see if they can salvage at least part of a normal season with some fans later on, Sept-Oct.  

IF the blue jays are allowed to play in Toronto why the hell couldnt CPL teams play at home. If they are worried about flying have the teams stay somewhere in Ontario. Forge, Y9, Ottawa could all play at home. I think we are pretty close to the point where you could have some fans as long as they socially distance (I saw them doing this in norway). 

4 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

IF the blue jays are allowed to play in Toronto why the hell couldnt CPL teams play at home. If they are worried about flying have the teams stay somewhere in Ontario. Forge, Y9, Ottawa could all play at home. I think we are pretty close to the point where you could have some fans as long as they socially distance (I saw them doing this in norway). 

My question is whether it is really worthwhile to play in home markets in front of 100 fans (that appeared to be the number in the stands, for example, in Adekugbe's match with Valerenga this weekend)? Obviously if you can allow a bigger number of fans it might change the calculus a bit, but wouldn't league costs be much less with no travel in 2020? 

Edited by jonovision

Its not so terrible for the teams, everyone go to a nice resort that is probably crying for some business.  It'll be like summer camp,  1 set up for cameras, and cameramen, lock  Platt, Wheeler Dunfield and Larsson in the pressbox for 2 weeks while they brown bag it and sleep in tents, all the testing they want to do will be centralized.  Just have to have some lunchtime/hall moniters to make sure there isnt any fraternizing, panty raids or shennanigans going on after lights out.  Think Meatballs but with grown men.  

8 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Bear Mountain Resort. Hey could be a whole lot worse. Make sure to schedule a couple rounds on those off days

$240 green fees for visitors. Players might need a raise. Beautiful course though

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

$240 green fees for visitors. Players might need a raise. Beautiful course though

Cmon.. 200 plus people staying for 1 month.. who's doing sales & marketing over there? Get some some old fashion contra going. Plus they have the infamous tunnels up there in case any players wanna go Kyle Walker 

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Its not so terrible for the teams, everyone go to a nice resort that is probably crying for some business.  It'll be like summer camp,  1 set up for cameras, and cameramen, lock  Platt, Wheeler Dunfield and Larsson in the pressbox for 2 weeks while they brown bag it and sleep in tents, all the testing they want to do will be centralized.  Just have to have some lunchtime/hall moniters to make sure there isnt any fraternizing, panty raids or shennanigans going on after lights out.  Think Meatballs but with grown men.  

I pity the poor bastard who has to spend two weeks locked up with Larsson.

11 hours ago, jonovision said:

...Obviously if you can allow a bigger number of fans it might change the calculus a bit, but wouldn't league costs be much less with no travel in 2020? 

Not necessarily in profit/loss terms, if you have to refund all season ticket revenue and still meet a sizable chunk of the player and staff salaries involved. 

13 hours ago, Bison44 said:

You'd have to send Larson out a few weeks earlier to get acclimatized to not being in the GTA. 

13 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Think Grown Ups without the ladies but with the lake. 

10 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Not necessarily in profit/loss terms, if you have to refund all season ticket revenue and still meet a sizable chunk of the player and staff salaries involved. 

I'm comparing home crowds of maybe 500 tops vs single site empty stadium. You're still refunding a majority of your season's ticket revenue. I don't see a realistic scenario where larger crowds are allowed.

9 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I'm comparing home crowds of maybe 500 tops vs single site empty stadium. You're still refunding a majority of your season's ticket revenue. I don't see a realistic scenario where larger crowds are allowed.

I disagree for the teams with cfl stadiums at least 5000 is very realistic. See the Russian league as an example of what the spaced out crowd looks like