CPL Playing During the Coronavirus/Covid19 Pandemic

https://edmontonsportsfans.ca/2020/07/02/jeff-paulus-training-camp-single-site-tournament-empty-stadiums/

..A single site tournament is a good idea if they can maintain some sort of a bubble to ensure that not only are the teams protected but also the local residents of the community we play at...

The bubble idea in a nutshell. Soccer players don't social distance effectively during a game and during normal training, so a viral infection can spread like wildfire among participants like it did at Novak Djokovic's tennis tournament.

The bubble concept is that you make 100% sure everyone doesn't have it when they arrive and that they then steer well clear of the local community in a low infection rate city so they can safely play soccer in a way which would otherwise be high risk with only daily screening for symptoms happening to keep costs under control.

Looks like some of the people involved with the league thought that university campuses would be empty at this time of year because undergrads aren't around. Et voila, un bubble! Not how it works and that would probably be what made PEI and Moncton problematic, which explains why they then appeared to be leaning towards Langford using a resort complex. Looks like the BC provincial government were wanting something too stringent on quarantining and testing to make the budget manageable.

Not convinced that Ontario is likely to be a good move quickly enough in a PEI or Vancouver Island sort of way where infection rates are concerned, so the single site tournament concept could be over before it began, if they can't afford to do Premiership and Bundesliga levels of testing. We'll see what happens.

I've read that BMO Field is part of the NHL's bubble, so there goes Duane's idea

In Toronto, the bubble will include a 40-acre campus-like village on the grounds of the Exhibition Place, which includes BMO Field, the OVO Athletic Centre, Coca-Cola Coliseum and the 404-room Hotel X.

(via the Athletic)

33 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Not convinced that Ontario is likely to be a good move quickly enough in a PEI or Vancouver Island sort of way where infection rates are concerned

I would like to remind you, and seemingly everyone else in the country, that Ontario is more than just the GTA. Ottawa has just 44 active cases in a city of almost 1 million people, infection rates are not a concern here at the moment.

14 hours ago, jonovision said:
This makes me even more curious about CPL's no-university-campus rule. Where is the rule coming from? Seemingly not from any level of government, if the CFL is considering or has chosen Winnipeg as its hub city.

I would guess they made that decision before they knew that Universities probably weren't coming back in the fall and they felt if the hub model was going to push into late August that would be a problem.

Also, if Winnipeg was going for the CFL hub, it makes sense WFC took Valour out of the running. The logistics of handling both soccer and football with 16 teams at IGF would be a nightmare, if not impossible.

14 hours ago, jonovision said:

This makes me even more curious about CPL's no-university-campus rule...

What Duane Rollins was saying was that you can't set up a bubble on a university campus similar to what MLS are doing in Orlando, which makes sense because there is a lot more going on at universities than undergraduate teaching so they are far from deserted during the summer months. He wasn't saying there was a no university campus rule and was still speculating that something might happen in PEI or Moncton.

If the CFL have the money available to do extensive testing of the players Premiership and Bundesliga style, they won't necessarily need to isolate themselves away from the general population in a bubble format and could simply be using the Blue Bombers' stadium much the same way that Liverpool are using Anfield at the moment.

On 7/1/2020 at 6:47 PM, CDNFootballer said:

"Link spammers usually don't leave comments of any value along with their links."

The definition seems to fit the parrot, other forums have a rule on link spamming, not sure about this one.

The odd post here and there is ok but the spamming frenzie lately has led me to simply scroll past that content and ignore it.

My favourite one is a post from the CPL General forum of a Tweet from some random guy stating that Clanachan was the former CEO of Tim Horton's. It added nothing to the discussion. If OTP wanted to make that point on our forum he could have just posted that.

9 hours ago, T_Bison said:

Also, if Winnipeg was going for the CFL hub, it makes sense WFC took Valour out of the running. The logistics of handling both soccer and football with 16 teams at IGF would be a nightmare, if not impossible.

Was thinking the same thing myself.  If given the choice you have to believe WFC's focus as a host hub would be for the CFL.

I'd like to offer the opion that if IGF, the various amenities, and action plans for hosting the CFL's return to play are viewed as being sufficient they'd most certainly have to be sufficient for anything the CPL would require.  The number of players, coaches, support staff and officials CFL will bring to a tourney would be AT LEAST double anything CPL would require.  

On 7/2/2020 at 10:21 PM, Viruk42 said:

I would like to remind you, and seemingly everyone else in the country, that Ontario is more than just the GTA. Ottawa has just 44 active cases in a city of almost 1 million people, infection rates are not a concern here at the moment.

I'm from London in Ontario terms rather than the GTA. CanPL would still have to deal with a Toronto based provincial government that is in charge of health care policy. Draw your own conclusions on why Ottawa has never featured as a possible venue in anything coming from league sources.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

9 hours ago, Cheeta said:

...The number of players, coaches, support staff and officials CFL will bring to a tourney would be AT LEAST double anything CPL would require.  

The CFL's much greater ability to generate revenue from broadcasting games given ratings well into six figures on TSN makes it a lot easier to justify the expense of Bundesliga and Premiership style testing protocols but as Carmine Isacco points out in the clip from Giancarlo Aulino things have been largely silent from them.

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I'm from London in Ontario terms rather than the GTA. CanPL would still have to deal with a Toronto based provincial government that is in charge of health care policy. Draw your own conclusions on why Ottawa has never featured as a possible venue in anything coming from league sources.

You may be right about that but your comment still referred to infection rates in all of Ontario as a reason why the tournament/season would not take place in Ontario. Instead, you could have said:
"Not convinced that Ontario is likely to be a good move quickly enough in a PEI or Vancouver Island sort of way where infection rates in the GTHA are concerned"

I didn't write that because I seriously doubt that's how the issue is likely to be handled by the provincial government where southern Ontario cities linked by the 400 system highways are concerned. If Ottawa had a geography similar to Moose Factory, the analogy with PEI and Vancouver Island would work better.

I personally believe that Langford is saperfect set up and everything was put together nicely by the the city and Bear Mountain but the provincial government is now making the CPL sit, roll over, play dead. CPL probably just showing extra patience with Langford because that's their first choice but hopefully they dont get burned 

Edited by SpursFlu

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...which does pose some interesting questions as to why CEBL were willing to pull the trigger in St Catherines for a mid-July start, but CanPL were not in Langford. Probably revolves around how much money they are willing to spend on testing.

Probably because 3 of the 7 teams are within an hour's drive of each other and Toronto, one of them is the hub city, and Ottawa is within driving distance and is in the province.  Just a quick check on the CEBL website shows that Saskatchewan's training camp roster are mostly players from Ontario. All of Hamilton's are.  The CPL is more spread out, both with teams and where players are from.  Half of the CEBL didn't even need to leave Ontario to quarantine - they already live there!

...and nobody has anything to say about the info from Rob Friend in the Onesoccer clip. When the news about the tournament was looking promising none of the usual suspects on here had anything to say about reposting tweets conveying that information being spamming and I was doing the exact same thing at that point where those tweets were concerned. If you can't handle bad news, why not stick to the official league website as your information source and steer clear of social media?

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...and nobody has anything to say about the info from Rob Friend in the Onesoccer clip. When the news about the tournament was looking promising none of the usual suspects on here had anything to say about reposting tweets conveying that information being spamming and I was doing the exact same thing at that point where those tweets were concerned. If you can't handle bad news, why not stick to the official league website as your information source and steer clear of social media?

I'm doing my best to steer clear of social media,  but then I come on here and see nothing but tweets.