CPL Playing During the Coronavirus/Covid19 Pandemic

Messageboards are part and parcel of social media. My posting of on topic tweets was being met with loads of appreciative upvotes when the news contained was still looking positive. Now things have turned sour on the tournament the usual suspects are marking out their territory like a tomcat pissing against a post. If you can't handle the rough as well as the smooth about the league why are you even here? A fan discussion forum should be expected to have negative reactions to events when there is bad news just as the main CMNT subforum does after a defeat. If you want a constant stream of positivity Pravda style the official league website is readily available.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

This whole idea I have a narrative is completely bogus in this context. In recent days I posted tweets in the CPL General thread containing Victor Montagliani's self-congratulatory posture about year one exceeding his expectations with no contradicting opinion provided on my part. How did that fit my supposed narrative? Funny how there have been no complaints about spamming in that sort of context when there have been additional comments in the tweet from somebody else.

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

This whole idea I have a narrative is completely bogus in this context. In recent days I posted tweets in the CPL General thread containing Victor Montagliani's self-congratulatory posture about year one exceeding his expectations with no contradicting opinion provided on my part. How did that fit my supposed narrative? Funny how there have been no complaints about spamming in that sort of context when there have been additional comments in the tweet from somebody else.

Victor Montagliani's opinions are relevant. @DipShit3478921's Twitter ramblings most certainly are not. Whether the opinions are in agreement with ours is neither here nor there.

Same bullshit happened in the attendance thread last summer. Never a cheep of complaint when things were going well and I was posting the obvious with clear delight about what was happening in Halifax but boorish and abusive behaviour when I was posting the obvious about things going south on attendance with Y9, Pacific and FCE.

You could all see as easily as I could how many empty seats there were but somewhere along the line a bizarre notion has crept in that fan messageboards in Canadian soccer are supposed to be an extension of the marketing arm of the CSA and CanPL and you have all kinds of people posting bile at anyone who doesn't slavishly toe the corporate line often because they think they need to do so to keep their favoured level of access.

This board and all the other general Canadian soccer forums are a complete joke now compared to what it was like online 15 to 20 years ago. Over and out until there is some actual soccer again in a CanPL context, because I suspect we are all being strung along like a bunch of mugs at this point by Clanachan and co. 

18 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...and nobody has anything to say about the info from Rob Friend in the Onesoccer clip. When the news about the tournament was looking promising none of the usual suspects on here had anything to say about reposting tweets conveying that information being spamming and I was doing the exact same thing at that point where those tweets were concerned. If you can't handle bad news, why not stick to the official league website as your information source and steer clear of social media?

Then post the OneSoccer tweet with the video, not a quote tweet from some rando.

41 minutes ago, ted said:

Hearing rumours it will be at Westhills and season ticket holders may be permitted to attend in limited numbers and under distancing protocols. 

Nice.. I have family on the Island. I might get season's see a few games and give to them

6 hours ago, ted said:

Hearing rumours it will be at Westhills and season ticket holders may be permitted to attend in limited numbers and under distancing protocols. 

Going to hear a lot of moaning about it if true but really don't have a problem with that.  Come on down!

Bit cynical though, even if they set up for broadcasting from the main 'stand (I'm sure there'll be plenty of elbow room for both fans and broadcast platforms) issues raised with IGF didn't have anything to do so much with the social distancing part of seating spectators as much as the costs associated with security (which is based in part on footprint created by usage) and logistics, ie moving people into and out of the venue, concorse congession, blah, blah, blah.  Everyone (most everyone) is still hyper alert to crowding out here, at least in Winnipeg.  Was in rural Manitoba last week and you'd barely know anything was amiss.  

31 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Going to hear a lot of moaning about it if true but really don't have a problem with that.  Come on down!

Bit cynical though, even if they set up for broadcasting from the main 'stand (I'm sure there'll be plenty of elbow room for both fans and broadcast platforms) issues raised with IGF didn't have anything to do so much with the social distancing part of seating spectators as much as the costs associated with security (which is based in part on footprint created by usage) and logistics, ie moving people into and out of the venue, concorse congession, blah, blah, blah.  Everyone (most everyone) is still hyper alert to crowding out here, at least in Winnipeg.  Was in rural Manitoba last week and you'd barely know anything was amiss.  

Our Local big hospital out in SW MB, 200+ beds, I dont think its had one Covid case yet.  It'll be 100% virgin territory if it ever gets here.  

Every day that goes by seems more and more unlikely there will be a season..you need a few weeks to get everyone there so earliest is august..then if theres a second wave in the fall or a number of positive tests in the bubble you are in trouble and just started the season..ivy league already cancelled everything for the fall

17 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Ya no way pfc fans should be able to attend games. 

You my friend are what people call a "hater" lol.
But I'm sure if it was in the GTA Spursflu would say the same thing.

Edited by Shway

2 hours ago, Shway said:

You my friend are what people call a "hater" lol.
But I'm sure if it was in the GTA Spursflu would say the same thing.

Lol.. no I wouldn't. Not under these circumstances. Honestly as a Caps fan I dont even care if we win or lose(for now) I just want to see 11 guys in our shirt running around a field kicking a ball 

7 hours ago, Big_M said:

Every day that goes by seems more and more unlikely there will be a season..you need a few weeks to get everyone there so earliest is august..then if theres a second wave in the fall or a number of positive tests in the bubble you are in trouble and just started the season..ivy league already cancelled everything for the fall

I think its likely to happen, just some hicups have occured along the way and these things take time.

MLS has started, USL to follow this weekend (with some fans in attendance at certain locations), NHL getting ready to return,  and more thinking as time goes on that we have to live and adapt to the reality of coronavirus being with us and continue with living life and the realization that widespread lockdown's aren't feasable going forward so the re-openings and return of pro sports will continue.

Its close imo to being announced and finalized, just a matter of time.

9 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

I think its likely to happen, just some hicups have occured along the way and these things take time.

MLS has started, USL to follow this weekend (with some fans in attendance at certain locations), NHL getting ready to return,  and more thinking as time goes on that we have to live and adapt to the reality of coronavirus being with us and continue with living life and the realization that widespread lockdown's aren't feasable going forward so the re-openings and return of pro sports will continue.

Its close imo to being announced and finalized, just a matter of time.

I would agree with you that its quite possible that some semblance of normal life will likely to have to return and be maintained and widespread lockdowns aren't likely to be feasible in the medium term, but I am not sure that will transpire into large physical gatherings like sport events.  I more suspect you will see people returning to work some of the time, using public transport in big cities some of the time, seeing family and friends in small(er) groups, and going out to eat and bars with some social distancing imposed to minimise spread, all generally wearing a mask and undertaking good hygiene.  I suspect that will be the new normal until there is a vaccine and that might tighten or loosen a bit depending on the local case load.

What I don't expect is 20,000 people to be in Maple Leaf Gardens or even 10,000 or 5,000.  And even if you had every 4th seat occupied, that would kill the atmosphere completely and other than for some of the diehards, likely get very boring very quickly.   So you have the no fan option but as we are seeing with the MLS, that has its challenges if you are in a place where local transmission is high.  It has worked in Europe as they currently have the virus much more under control at present but if it has a second wave there, they will face the same challenges.